So how many of you guys have a major analog setup anyway?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is: look after your records!

Keep them in anti-static sleeves, never touch the playing surfaces, and keep your stylus clean and tracking at the correct weight.
Do anti-static sleeves have some plastic content in them? After Harry Pearson's (of TAS) house was torched, they found that the records that were in plastic sleeves were ruined as the plastic had melted onto the surface, whereas those with paper sleeves were okay.

I will concur that my vinyl is quiet too. Granted vinyl is not as robust for direct handling but the medium in not noisy by design.

For a analog signal without the need for as much care handling, try reel to reel.

Wow. Are you sure about that? I never fancied threading the tape in those things! I always thought they looked amazing, though. Cooler than cool, with those spools a turnin'. Supposedly (definately, really) the ultimate analogue source, with high inches/sec speed.

Anyway, I can't help there's a little less than being totally honest about vinyl noise here. Whilst I find it acceptable, compared to digital, it is not quiet. Fact.

And you know it as soon as the needle hits the lead-in groove (pretty much always the worst bit). If the gain is well up, it is particularly noticeable.

Last edited:
Anyway, I can't help there's a little less than being totally honest about vinyl noise here.
Not completely true. Recently, while listening to vinyl I was amazed at how quiet it was - it was about as quiet as the deathly quiet of digital. Really !!

I am, of course, not saying this is true of ALL vinyl, but there are some albums that ARE extremely quiet.

Anyway, I can't help there's a little less than being totally honest about vinyl noise here. Whilst I find it acceptable, compared to digital, it is not quiet. Fact.

And you know it as soon as the needle hits the lead-in groove (pretty much always the worst bit). If the gain is well up, it is particularly noticeable.

Justin, I'm completely serious, I have many, many albums where there is literally no noise what so ever. I'm talking totally, dead silent, quiet as a tomb, silence. Maybe it's my rig, maybe it's my cartridge, I don't know. Sometimes there is a faint hint of bleed through depending on the LP.

I will grant you that this is not the case on every single disc I own, but it is true on the vast majority. Now, I always mute my phono stage until after the stylus is in contact with the surface of the disc, but more often than not, when I un-mute the phono stage there is no change in the background until the music starts.

OK Tim.

Anyway, enjoy RMAF. Wish I was going.

I'll do my best to post the news and plenty of pictures. If I can do as well as you did both in Hong Kong and the London show it'll be as close to being there as possible!

Do anti-static sleeves have some plastic content in them? After Harry Pearson's (of TAS) house was torched, they found that the records that were in plastic sleeves were ruined as the plastic had melted onto the surface, whereas those with paper sleeves were okay.

Yes, they do. The problem (I find) with paper sleeves is that they tend to scuff the vinyl, a problem that is exacerbated by static charges which cause the paper to stick to the record while you're trying to remove it from its sleeve.

The first thing I do when I receive a new record is put it into a Nagaoka anti-static sleeve. God knows what I'm gonna do when my supply runs out...

I think what he means is that he doesn't have many clicks or pops on his records period. Nor do I. Same thing for surface noise, especially on those albums that I bought once I got serious as a music collector and embroiled in this hobby. Seriously - most of my vinyl (80% or so) is every bit as quiet as my digital stuff.

I seriously wish anybody who doubts the viability of vinyl as a hi-fi source could come over and listen on my system (some of you will have this opportunity tomorrow night actually). I've entertained many a doubter, but never had one tell me they didn't prefer the sound of my analog rig.

I'd love to! Problem is for the airfare I could buy a nice turntable and test for myself! I'm seriously interested - anything that can give better sound has me in. Problem is, I've had many a vinyl demo, but there are two issues:

1: The selection of music is not always familiar to me (I'm sure that would be no problem at your place!)

2: I always prefer SACD on the same system for some reason......

If you ever come over Amey it would be my great pleasure to show you around Colorado and have you over for a listen and some food and drink.

That's one of the coolest thinmgs about this site - I feel like I have friends all over the world!

Wow. Are you sure about that? I never fancied threading the tape in those things! I always thought they looked amazing, though. Cooler than cool, with those spools a turnin'. Supposedly (definately, really) the ultimate analogue source, with high inches/sec speed.

Here are a couple of my Teac X1000R decks.
First pic taken during an outdoor party. Rack mounted above a whole system of SAE gear.
teac_sae.jpg

Then one inside. No it isn't in high speed. It was a long exposure shot that made it look so.
X1000R396.jpg

Like I said, "There are many roads to audio nirvana."

when I un-mute the phono stage there is no change in the background until the music starts.

Justin,

I'll second Tims Sonic obsirvation on this as well, while my LP collection is no where near the size of his I have many that fall into this category.

But I will also admitt that some of my favorite slabs of 'black pizza' (while there is some audible surface noise that is notcieable between tracks) have such good dynamics and "Mid magic" that it MORE than makes up for it !

Can't agree with you here. With the vast majority of my albums, maybe 75% to 80% they are as quiet as a tomb from the lead-in to the lead-out groove. Recently my brother and his GF was over and she commented on the "CD" I was playing. When I told her it was an album she was incredulous and thought I was joking. When I lifted the arm and the music stopped she really couldn't believe it. She thought it sounded great also!

Analog Setup

I should chime in here as a long time analog lover.

I have a SOTA Cosmos Series IV turntable with a Fidelity Research FR64fx tonearm and use Fidelity Research cartridges (FR1MK3 and MC201) that have been rebuilt by Mr. Van Den Hul.

I have around a thousand albums or so.

Also enjoy a Teac X2000 reel to reel.

I listen primarily to vinyl although I really enjoy SACD as well.

Can't imagine being without vinyl.

Have Fun!

If you ever come over Amey it would be my great pleasure to show you around Colorado and have you over for a listen and some food and drink.

That's one of the coolest thinmgs about this site - I feel like I have friends all over the world!

And of course likewise if you come to Australia!

With the talk of reel, I must add that this is a source I have heard sound better than the best SACD or any digital source. Reel to reel is the best source I've heard period. So, I am not against analogue per se - just vinyl until I find someone (anyone) who can enlighten me.

Let's just say that I really *WANT* to be enlightened - it's just that I'm not spending the money until I am!

So, I am not against analogue per se - just vinyl until I find someone (anyone) who can enlighten me.

Let's just say that I really *WANT* to be enlightened - it's just that I'm not spending the money until I am!
One thing I am wondering about: anytime you listened to vinyl, did you spend so much time concentrating on how much noise you heard that you forgot to pay attention to the quality of the reproduction of the music? Also, what was the best vinyl setup/system you listened to? Vinyl on a bright system can sound truly horrible; but then, so too can CD.

Yes, Bernard, I use them, and Nagaoka, or something very similar, are generally available. In fact, if you search ebay USA or UK for "record sleeves", you'll find and English seller doing Mobile Fidelity and "Nagaoka style" sleeves. I use the "style" sleeves, and they are very good.

I have just been on the phone to Michell Enginneering - bought an Orbe platter upgrade, revised suspension and clamp, arm de-coupling kit, Denso damping material and other goodies to make my TT even better. Hard to imagine how it could be much better, but I'll let you know how I get on with it sometime soon...

I'm also going to get the perspex base cut in granite from the local stonemason. Should help, as the perspex one does vibrate at high levels. When that's done, I'll order Michell's decoupled DC motor and never connected PSU. Rock'n'roll.... well, hopefully, anyway!

Last edited:
I'm also going to get the perspex base cut in granite
Is this something that Michell recommends? I know that Linn used to recommend that you put the LP12 on a flimsy table.

BTW it's too bad that you do not listen to classical; there are lots of joys there. I have a great classical collection on vinyl, and really enjoy it. I did not listen to classical until I saw the movie, "A Clockwork Orange"; then I was hooked.

Back