Put a fork in me, I'm done...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All a little different. THe YG's didn't do it for me, but again at that level, it's always personal taste.

Like the big Focal,, don't like the Kharma (any of them), they always sound thin, bright and too
forward to me.

It's really like anything else. Just as you responded favorably to your ML's, another person
might not like them at all. The speaker thing is very personal.

I think the YG are the most "live" sounding therefore the best speaker I have ever heard. I am thinking of getting a pair of their smaller Kipod speakers and using them with 2 JL Audio Fathom F113 which I already own.

Actually the Kipod will be my next speaker. I just need to stomach the 38k price tag which is heafty especially in this economy.

I would look at the CLX but they do not fit in my room. :(

Going to the dealer on Sat morning to listen to the CLX. The current setup is:
We are using MC501 monoblocks, the MVP871 disc player, and the MX136 processor (using as a 2 channel preamp). All cables are Transparent, including power and line conditioning.

Should be interesting...

That is the usual set up Mac equipment. If its a B I G room they will sing. Small room and you will be disappointed. These really need a LARGE room to do them justice. But its Justice at its best when done !

That is the usual set up Mac equipment. If its a B I G room they will sing. Small room and you will be disappointed. These really need a LARGE room to do them justice. But its Justice at its best when done !

Well, we'll see...hear actually. They told me that ML set it all up....

yg acoustics....

I've had a pleasure of listening to yg acoustics kipods and auditioning at home with a pair of wilson sophias, clx, and a pair of vantage. Yg is a killer....imaged like a champ....like a scalpel......3-d image locked in...live sound, uncolored, neutral...just awesome. The Wilsons were not as dynamic, image not as sharp, not as 3-d, more like a bread knife. YG is for sure my next pair of speaker. Martin logans competed well...warm, emotional sound and it romances the sound(softens the sound), tall 3-d image but not as sharp or pinpointing as YG. This is just my personal opinion with my equipment. I love the Martin Logans and that's why I always have a pair in my collection. But YG is a engineer marvel with the latest material and construction vs conventional mdf. Logans are exceptional innovative engineering with touch of art motif.....Again, just my humble opinion.

Hello,

I am new to this site and also have dual Descenti's. I have them since 2 months now and have never been able to tweak them effectively and hope to get some pointers from the huge community here. I use Denon 5308 as my receiver and calibrate my HT with Audyssey.

Audyssey always puts my subs at -12db ( Volume level 5 on the Descenti,50Hz and 25 Hz at 0db) I dont get that tight punchy bass everyone longs for. I use a scene from Kung Fu Panda to tweak my subs and I like what I hear if I increase my sub levels to 0db on the receiver. But then in some parts of that scene my subs flutter with an awful sound.

Do I need to reduce the 50 and 25 hz levels from 0db to avoid that flutter?

I have placed my subs in the middle of the front and the back wall respectively. I have tried placing them diagonally in opposite corners as well. I have yet to try putting them both in the front. My rooms approx 12'x15'.

I have crossed LFE at 80Hz
Fronts small 60hz
Centre small 60hz
Surrounds small 60hz

Sorry I'm not a HT guy, but that sounds like an awful lot of subwoofer for such a little room. You might be overdriving the room. If there was a way to take some measurements, you could see what's going on.

Is that possible?

Sorry I'm not a HT guy, but that sounds like an awful lot of subwoofer for such a little room. You might be overdriving the room. If there was a way to take some measurements, you could see what's going on.

Is that possible?

Very possible, Lots of cross cancellation with no where to go. One good sub woofer will 90%of the time do what two could do and better in a small room.

Very possible, Lots of cross cancellation with no where to go. One good sub woofer will 90%of the time do what two could do and better in a small room.

Thanx I will try using just one sub and see how it goes. Will post later in the evening about my thoughts.

Hello,

I am new to this site and also have dual Descenti's. I have them since 2 months now and have never been able to tweak them effectively and hope to get some pointers from the huge community here. I use Denon 5308 as my receiver and calibrate my HT with Audyssey.

Audyssey always puts my subs at -12db ( Volume level 5 on the Descenti,50Hz and 25 Hz at 0db) I dont get that tight punchy bass everyone longs for. I use a scene from Kung Fu Panda to tweak my subs and I like what I hear if I increase my sub levels to 0db on the receiver. But then in some parts of that scene my subs flutter with an awful sound.

Do I need to reduce the 50 and 25 hz levels from 0db to avoid that flutter?

I have placed my subs in the middle of the front and the back wall respectively. I have tried placing them diagonally in opposite corners as well. I have yet to try putting them both in the front. My rooms approx 12'x15'.

I have crossed LFE at 80Hz
Fronts small 60hz
Centre small 60hz
Surrounds small 60hz

Apu, I don't want to go too off topic. But I know how to fix your issue, it's a common error in setup with Denon (and other brands) using Audyssey setups.

Bottom line, your descents are turned up too high. Turn the volume controls on the Descent's down until Audyssey reports close to zero volume change for the subs.

Also, you should preferably wire the subwoofer as an LFE sub using the LFE in connection. That bypasses the sub filters and lets the Denon do the crossover and then Audyssey do the corrections.

Once you’ve connected that way, redo the Audyssey setup, and follow the recommendations listed in this document: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14456895#post14456895

BTW- with Audyssey, be prepared for clean bass vs punchy bass. Most people are accustomed to really peaky bass and find that the flatter profile Audyssey correction gives is an issue. But it’s not, you get used to it pretty quick and it sounds much better, as you can actually distinguish bass notes now.

Please start a new thread if you’d like to continue this discussion on tuning the Descent i + Audyssey and I’ll join in on that. There’s a lot more ground to cover here.

Jeff, C.A.P. - What would you define as a LARGE room for these speakers?

Or better yet, what's the minimum dimensions you (or ML if they've stated so) would recommend before somone considers a CLX?

Or better yet, what's the minimum dimensions you (or ML if they've stated so) would recommend before somone considers a CLX?

Someone getting Joey-itus?:rolleyes:

They like all Logan's can work in smaller rooms but They LOVE large rooms. Wide rooms to let them bloom out, and give you the sense of width and depth they are capable of. When I heard them at Magnolia in Seattle they had a huge room that damn near brought me to tears they were so good (with no sub) When I heard them in Milwaukee at DaVinci Media they were in a much smaller room and they just did not have that same impact. However the Spires LOVED that room and I ended up listening to them far longer.

Im sure Jeff will give you the skinny also!

Like most thorobreds they need room to run. I heard them in a somewhat large (20x30) and dead room that made the bass seem..well..hollow, and I felt that they still needed more room and better setup.

The second Descent got here today and while it will take a bit to break in all the way, it really is spectacular. Evens out the bass in the room even better than I thought it would...

I'm done!

Still think you are done after CES? I hear CJ is coming out with a GAT. Only 250 to be made.

The GAT looks great. I can only assume that it sounds as good as it looks. At $20,000.00 it better.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/gat/

Guess who's getting the GAT before Stereophile or TAS?

That's right...

Lew's quote was "I think we finally have something you will want to trade your ACT2 in on, and we just might have exceeded the ART 3 with this one!"

As we have both preamps on hand, we'll give you the skinny...

Also getting some Burmeister stuff after the show. That was by FAR the best sound at CES. Their gear was very expensive, but stunning!

We'll have a show report up later this week in the spotlight section of our website. Those of you that subscrive will get an email...

I would like some guidance on this also. We're in the very early planning stage of our retirement house and am considering building a semi-dedicated room.

Gordon

Hello Jeff,

Will you be getting your hands on the GAT amplifier? I'm not sure when this is due out but I did hear it will cost $35,000.00.

they are still being tight lipped about the GAT amplifier,

The rumors I've heard have been that it might be either a tube design
beyond the 275's or it might be a SS mono version of the Premier 350.

One thing's for sure, it will be expensive!

As for the room, the bigger the better. We should talk about this more at length though..

Back