Put a fork in me, I'm done...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
The second Descent got here today and while it will take a bit to break in all the way, it really is spectacular. Evens out the bass in the room even better than I thought it would...

I'm done!

One in each front corner? Do you run the right channel to the right sub and left to left or are they daisy chained together ?

it is advised that one NEVER puts a sub in the corner up against the wall. at least have some space all around it.

One sub each mono, one to L and one to R.

Both subs are about 30" from back wall and about 6 ft from
the respective side walls....

Jeff,

Do you use acoustic treatments in your studio?

Yes I do. I have a mixture of GIK panels, some Sonex Classic and GIK Tri-Traps (2 high) in each corner with another set of GIK Panels knocking down the peak of my ceiling.

Also, nothing between my speakers but a power amp on a Finite amp stand. That has been a big boost to imaging, without those racks of gear between
the speakers. All gear is off to the side of the room.

I'll go through this in great detail in the review coming out in about three weeks. But the short version is that I think it is essential to rounding out the performance of the CLX. (Still need to do more critical listening...)

Realize that I'm highly biased in favor of ML, and I haven't heard everything else out there, but I think that if you have the room for a pair of CLX's and a pair of Descents (or perhaps a pair of Depths..) with everything I have heard, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a more musically revealing sound for twice the price, maybe even more.

This is truly a world class combination.

I'll go through this in great detail in the review coming out in about three weeks. But the short version is that I think it is essential to rounding out the performance of the CLX. (Still need to do more critical listening...)

Realize that I'm highly biased in favor of ML, and I haven't heard everything else out there, but I think that if you have the room for a pair of CLX's and a pair of Descents (or perhaps a pair of Depths..) with everything I have heard, I think you'd be hard pressed to get a more musically revealing sound for twice the price, maybe even more.

This is truly a world class combination.

Alright, can't wait for your review! Have you ever tried the REL vs Descent? Some people swear by REL as the most seamless sub, they claim the Descent/ Depth is too punchy.

Colour me jealous!! Alas, recent unemployment (damned economy!) means that I will have to "settle" with my soon-to-arrive Spires--but judging from my week long experience with the Vantages, I'm gonna be pretty happy.

Enjoy your news toys and I can't wait to read your reviews! :drool:

-- Rich (hoping for the excuse to visit Portland again so that I can scrounge a listening session with you!)

I had a REL before the first descent and thought it was way too slow and muddy to keep up with the Summits....

But again, it depends on the quality of bass you prefer! The B2 did not go as far down as the Descent either.

I had a REL before the first descent

The CLX specific crossovers probably don't hurt, either.

Jeff so I can get a better picture in my mind, what are the dimensions of that room and which wall, long or short, are the CLX on? Also, about how wide is the sweet spot in terms of number of persons?

The room is 16 x 24, opening into a larger room.

Speakers are about 9 feet apart and listening position
is about 10 feet from the speakers. Id say the sound
drops off a bit for the other two people on the couch,
but not as much as it did with my Summits.

Speakers are on the long wall, about 7 feet from the
side walls...

Also, the image barely diminishes when you stand up.

So, I'd call the CLX almost a three person speaker at
this point!

Listening position only 10 feet from the speakers, isn't that about half the normal rule of thumb? I'll bet at that distance you can feel the bass waves. The Descents are immediately adjacent the panels to either side...correct?

Last edited:
There is a rule that ML has used that you sit 1.5 to 2 times the distance between the edges of the Mid panels. I have and believe in it but in large rooms with wide sides you will need to sit a tad closer.

From Martin Logan CLX manual..

"By now your speakers should be placed so the electrostatic panels are approximately four feet from the front wall (the wall in front of the listening position) and about two feet from the side walls. Your sitting distance should be further
than the distance between the speakers themselves to achieve good center imaging and stage width.
There is no exact distance between speakers and listener, but there is a relationship. In long rooms, naturally, that relationship changes. The distance between the speakers will be far less than the distance from you to the speaker system. In a wide room, you will still find that if the distance
from the listener to the speakers becomes smaller than the distance between the speakers themselves, the image will no longer focus in the center."

Last edited:
now I am a little lost . C.A.P where would you place the speakers and the listener if the room where 13' X 20'

Its always a starting point on the short wall. If you look at my Last 1% thred about set up it explains it very simple !

Say your room is 13 feet wide 13/2/2 = starting position 13/2=6.5/2=3.25 to inside edge Then measure the edge to edge distance and sit the chair back at least 1.5 that distance.

Last edited:
Back