Put a fork in me, I'm done...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm getting plenty of center image, and a soundstage that goes all the way out to the right and left walls.

The guys that were here from ML to set the speakers up said they had never heard the CLX sound this good, so I'm pretty comfy that it's sounding ok....

you probably have a good room you lucky duck I think a lot has to do with the room.

to C.A.P I do get terrific center imaging my panels are 36" from front wall right now

I had a REL before the first descent and thought it was way too slow and muddy to keep up with the Summits....

But again, it depends on the quality of bass you prefer! The B2 did not go as far down as the Descent either.

Interesting, I have a rel B1 and it matches wonderfully with my Aeon i's.

Then again, I have never heard a ML suboofer.

you probably have a good room you lucky duck I think a lot has to do with the room.

to C.A.P I do get terrific center imaging my panels are 36" from front wall right now

Fish give me your dimensions of your room L x W and I bet They are close to my formulation that is posted in the 1% link.

From your pics on your system page I bet your width is real close and your chair seems to be close too.

I'm done!

Famous last words ... :D

Like, when does an audiophile ever really 'finish'?

And your profession offers more temptation opportunities than most of us could bear ;)

Seriously, sounds like a superb combo. I know I'd be happy with it.

Well, there are two more things I'd really like, but they just don't make sense...

I'd love an Aesthetix IO phono preamp with two power supplies or the Naim Superline with SuperCap power supply. Both are awesome and the two most exciting phono stages I've ever heard, though one is tubes and the other solid state. But the cost is about 10-12k there and can't really justify it. I told Jim White at Aesthetix if he ever gets one back from a show with a big dent in it and wants to sell cheap, I'll talk...

The other thing would be a 2nd PS555 for my Naim CD555. The serious Naim heads over in London are running their 555's with two supplies and it's supposed to be pretty impressive. Again, we're talking 10-12k for the upgrade.

But other than that, I really am set. I feel pretty lucky to have gone this far down the path. And hats off to my extremely patient wife, who has said that the next couple years worth of disposable income is going into house upgrades instead of hifi!

Jeff, I would love to see you compare those two with the ARC PH7 (with the Ref3, of course) ....yes, I'm an ARC-head.....like Amey!

Already did. Not even close.

The PH7 is a great phono pre, but no where near in the league
of the Naim or the Aesthetix in terms of ultimate tonality and
sheer dynamics.

The PH7 is well built and worth the money asked. We reviewed it
a couple of issues ago and I really enjoyed the variable loading with
the remote control, nice touch.

If I were buying something at that level, I'd probably go with the
Aesthetix Rhea, because it allows you to adjust gain and loading remotely
plus it has inputs for three turntables, which would be a plus for me.

At that price point (5-7000), the ARC is definitely a contender and you
might prefer it's sound, especially if you love ARC to say, the Nagra,
ASR, Aesthetix or the Naim with lesser power supply.

Right now, I'm using the Nagra VPS and am very happy. Nice balance between tonality, dynamics and quiet (also has 2 inputs), but it is very difficult to set cartridge loading.

Another exceptional phono stage is the Rega Ios. For 3200, it is a pretty amazing one input phono pre. Very quiet and a touch of warmth for tubes. You might want to give one of those a listen before buying the PH7, you might be surprised! Super quiet!

But when it comes to a top of the heap phono stage, the Aesthetix IO with
both supplies really tops the heap, period end of story. It's just that when you use the IO with two supplies, you need to warm up about 30 tubes just to play a record, and for me, I have my system on 12 hours a day, every day. I just don't want to be spending that much time hunting for tubes.

The IO really needs you to hand pick a good set of NOS tubes to do it's best, and that can get pretty spendy. But if it's the Ferrari you only take out of the garage on rare occasion, it does become pretty seductive.

Another thing the IO does that is very attractive, is it lets you run a balanced phono cable IN to the preamp. Only a few others like the BAT VK-10SE, Boulder and the ASR Basis Exclusive (that I know of) will do this and it does help for a quieter phono presentation.

That's why I liked the Naim Stageline with the Supercap so much. It was very similar to the IO, but no tubes. Just turn it on and leave it on.

You know how it goes, pick your poison...

Another thing the IO does that is very attractive, is it lets you run a balanced phono cable IN to the preamp. Only a few others like the BAT VK-10SE, Boulder and the ASR Basis Exclusive (that I know of) will do this and it does help for a quieter phono presentation.
It amazes me that there aren't more preamps that are designed for this when you consider that balanced inputs are ideal considering the low level of phono signals, and that phono signals are inherently balanced.

It amazes me that there aren't more preamps that are designed for this when you consider that balanced inputs are ideal considering the low level of phono signals, and that phono signals are inherently balanced.

My Aesthetix Rhea (that Jeff mentioned as well) also runs balanced outputs. I couldn't be happier with it, but I have had the chance to hear the IO with dual supplies twice now (once at RMAF and once at Audio Unlimited) and I agree with Jeff, it's pretty much the top of the heap, although the Boulder is no slouch either - I just love the sound of tubes.

Last edited:
The second Descent got here today and while it will take a bit to break in all the way, it really is spectacular. Evens out the bass in the room even better than I thought it would...

I'm done!

Are people in this hobby ever done? How about some Tara Lab zeroes or Transparent Opus?:devil:

Jeff, how does your present setup with CLX and subs compared to the Wilson Alexandria's you heard? You stated in another thread a CLX and subs is just as good as other higher priced speakers, could you elaborate please. Thank you.

Jeff, how does your present setup with CLX and subs compared to the Wilson Alexandria's you heard? You stated in another thread a CLX and subs is just as good as other higher priced speakers, could you elaborate please. Thank you.

Gonna have to read the review that's upcoming....

But the short version is that the X-2 is still the master of dynamics for $180k a pair. The CLX with a pair of Descents at under 30k gives you a large enough helping of the size, scale and tonality that you get from the big boys that you might question spending the other $150k just on speakers.

Again, I did not say "just as good".....

I did say that after listening to the X-2 (180k), Gamut L9 (180k and my favorite speaker in the world), the Avalon Sentinel (140k) and the big MBL, I felt the CLX and pair of Descents were playing in the same league.

As always with a speaker like this, it's all dependent on room, setup and associated components. I've heard all five of these speakers sound dreadful in lousy conditions.

After hearing the MBLs in HK, and the CLX in the UK, I hear where you are coming from, Jeff.

Yeah - pic below to show all what we are talking about.

The MBLs are unquestionably better off axis, because they are omnis. But the CLX is much better off axis than any other ML to date - not sure of the reason, but they are.

Given the choice, money no object and the room to accomodate, I'd probably take the big MBL system over the CLXs + 2 Descents. But the cost difference is huge. To be honest, I'd have to spend more time with the MBLs than I did to be absolutely sure. To me, that is saying something.

Attachments

• mbls.jpg
    mbls.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 277
Oh yeah, that MBL stuff is out there. I heard that same system at CES two years ago and I was blown away, but they told us that all the amps, speakers, etc was close to a million bucks!

That's what I meant about the CLX/Descent, that for 30k, you are getting a very substantial helping of what the money no object stuff can do.

And you need the room...

Those MBL's won't work in a small room.

Gonna have to read the review that's upcoming....

Again, I did not say "just as good".....

I did say that after listening to the X-2 (180k), Gamut L9 (180k and my favorite speaker in the world), the Avalon Sentinel (140k) and the big MBL, I felt the CLX and pair of Descents were playing in the same league.

As always with a speaker like this, it's all dependent on room, setup and associated components. I've heard all five of these speakers sound dreadful in lousy conditions.

Jeff,

How about YG? I recently heard these, and they are pretty good for a non-stat. I liked them better than the Wilsons.

Karma?

The big Focal?

All a little different. THe YG's didn't do it for me, but again at that level, it's always personal taste.

Like the big Focal,, don't like the Kharma (any of them), they always sound thin, bright and too
forward to me.

It's really like anything else. Just as you responded favorably to your ML's, another person
might not like them at all. The speaker thing is very personal.

Back