Put a fork in me, I'm done...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also getting some Burmeister stuff after the show. That was by FAR the best sound at CES. Their gear was very expensive, but stunning!

Interesting and somewhat surprising to me, based on my one previous experience. I did an audition in Atlanta last year of the complete Burmeister top-of-the-line setup (well over $100,000 worth of gear that had just come back from CES) and the sound was utterly un-involving and lifeless. I was very surprised as I had high expectations. My guess is that they just didn't get their system dialed in and set up correctly after bringing all that gear back from the trade show. Will be interested to read your thoughts on this gear.

I would guess that's the case, as the rooms at the Venetian aren't fantastic, but for me they had the most natural sound by far and I did get a chance to go to every room this year...

As always it's personal taste but the amount of detail, resolution and tonality was breathtaking. Those big Burmeister speakers threw a huge soundstage just like my CLX's.

Hm... gonna have to side with Rich here. I have always thought it was an overpriced, over-chromed German mistake that has never appealed to me. I have heard a couple of systems and was completely unimpressed in the past.

Both times in small rooms without impressively sized speakers, though. Maybe with a decent pair and some space it's OK gear... here's some from HK.

These HK pics are getting a bit long in the tooth. Will be taking more soon, though:D

Anyway, Jeff, hope you enjoyed CES...

Attachments

• burmester.jpg
    burmester.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 315
Hm... gonna have to side with Rich here. I have always thought it was an overpriced, over-chromed German mistake that has never appealed to me. I have heard a couple of systems and was completely unimpressed in the past.

Both times in small rooms without impressively sized speakers, though. Maybe with a decent pair and some space it's OK gear... here's some from HK.

These HK pics are getting a bit long in the tooth. Will be taking more soon, though:D

Anyway, Jeff, hope you enjoyed CES...

really enjoyed CES and by far some of the best sound I've EVER heard. Open, dynamic, transparent like a good panel and phenomenal low level resolution and texture, even in the hotel room.

I'm pretty excited to get some to listen to. We'll have MBL later in the year as well.

Overall great show, fun to see everyone.

Some info I found on the GAT amp. Not sure if any of this is final.

conrad-johnson GAT Amplifier ($38,000) is the company's first venture into 300B tube amplification. This is the only 300B amplifier that outputs 1,000 watts (not a typo). A low ratio transformer is coupled to a push-pull buffer. This keeps the voltage gain characteristics of a 300B but the current gain of the output buffer stage.

Attachments

• cjgat.jpg
    cjgat.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 284
Guess who's getting the GAT before Stereophile or TAS?

That's right...

Lew's quote was "I think we finally have something you will want to trade your ACT2 in on, and we just might have exceeded the ART 3 with this one!"

As we have both preamps on hand, we'll give you the skinny...

Also getting some Burmeister stuff after the show. That was by FAR the best sound at CES. Their gear was very expensive, but stunning!

We'll have a show report up later this week in the spotlight section of our website. Those of you that subscrive will get an email...

Did they play it at the show? Or was it just a pretty case?

I am stunned by the act 2, so it better be damn good. Do you know what tube they will use for the gat? Will it "clear" like act 2 or "golden" sounding, like the art?

The Conrad Johnson exhibit at the CES was all static. I saw them at the Venetian and not sure if there were any other CJ setups elsewhere.

Lew Johnson said the GAT amp is still "a possibility", but not necessarily a reality and not necessarily a reality in that configuration.

They were experimenting with the WE 308 tube, which is a derivative of the 300B, a kind of "super 300B" if you will. Where the 300B will produce 9-10 watts in SET mode, the 308 will produce about a 1000 watts, but there are major issues with that tube, like 1200V plate voltages, etc...

You can read more about the 308 tube at the Western Electric site.

http://www.westernelectric.com/products.html

WE is still saying that the price is TBA on the 308, which could mean they are
having trouble producing them... Last year, I'm pretty sure they were listing the price as 7800 per pair. The good news is that the WE tubes have a very long life (around 40 thousand hours) so you'd probably never have to re-tube!

WE is still saying that the price is TBA on the 308, which could mean they are
having trouble producing them... Last year, I'm pretty sure they were listing the price as 7800 per pair. The good news is that the WE tubes have a very long life (around 40 thousand hours) so you'd probably never have to re-tube!

Perhaps, but tube rolling would be an expensive proposition! :eek:

The Conrad Johnson exhibit at the CES was all static. I saw them at the Venetian and not sure if there were any other CJ setups elsewhere.
I don't understand the point in being at an audio show if all you have is a static display.

CES is really a business to business show. It's only been the last few years that they have actually let "consumers" in.

Lew Johnson of CJ likes to joke that the show thing is a "hostile environment" and with so many potential things that can go wrong, why bother. Witness the other threads on any forum about how people describe the sound of whatever gear you want. Some love it some hate it.

There is so much to go wrong, that they'd rather not bother. They suggest you go to a CJ dealer to listen to their gear under controlled circumstances. On many levels, I can't say I blame them.

The reason they bother is to talk to their worldwide dealer network of over 100 dealers.

Personally, I always wish they'd have stuff playing, but I can understand why they do it the way they do.

I don't understand the point in being at an audio show if all you have is a static display.

This was my point in several posts pertaining to RMAF last summer.

CES and CEDIA are essentially TRADE shows intended to grow business with manufacturers, agents, distributors and dealers. It isn't about hifi or music per se, it's about the electronics business. Therefore static displays are just meant to indicate overall product styling, availability, etc. to allow folks to sit down and talk business (How many dollars can I sign you up for? How about 100 units of XYZ and 250 units of ABC? Here are terms and perfomance incentives, etc.). To be sure there are some active displays, usually more over at T.H.E. Show, where there is a focus on product launches and advancements. Often in the big main halls though you might have Mark Levinson in a booth right next to Sony, and Leviton (lighting controls). These are display booths, not listening room, most don't even have walls per se. Not to mention that the ambient noise levels preclude any real listening.

RMAF and the Stereophile type shows are targeted more at the end user. Here is what our product sounds like, here are some good products to pair it with, etc.

One is about the business and the other is about our hobby/passion.

Where the 300B will produce 9-10 watts in SET mode, the 308 will produce about a 1000 watts, but there are major issues with that tube, like 1200V plate voltages, etc...

Not absolutely correct! It's just a normal glass envelope 13 5/8 inch high (not so normal) RF/audio freq. tube. 85 Watts max in class A for undistorted output is closer to the mark, according to the spec:)

Most likely to appear in insanely expensive class A single ended mode, I expect. Normal people can effectively rule out the fact it even exists at that price.

Such a shame it isn't true - 1000 Watts would have been awesome!:)

Assumig 25% efficiency in a class A SET design, each tube would require 4000 Watts, meaning 2 tubes would generate around 6000 Watts of heat:eek:. Awesome, but definately not cool!

At least, I think that's about right. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone!

We try to be right here, but hey!

What's cooler is that the spec sheet comes from 1936. And I bet any good SET implementation using it will sound amazing.

Mind you, there's those big KR tubes for a lot less dosh... less output, but they are huge.

Last edited:
They might also use a 300B as a driver for SS output stage too, who knows...
Lew is pretty tight lipped about new stuff.

Me, I think they should make some Premier 350 monos! That's what I want.

Back