Panel Replacement?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarist

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the panel on an ML speaker? Much to my horror, I discovered a large dent in the metal grill right above the woofer enclosure in one my new Theos speakers, and it is causing the diaphragm to arc. It had to have occurred during shipment. Anyway, I have the option of doing it myself, or bringing the speaker to the store and have them replace it. Just how hard will it be to do myself? I'm reasonably handy with tools. ;) Thanks.

Has anyone replaced the panel on an ML speaker? Much to my horror, I discovered a large dent in the metal grill right above the woofer enclosure in one my new Theos speakers, and it is causing the diaphragm to arc. It had to have occurred during shipment. Anyway, I have the option of doing it myself, or bringing the speaker to the store and have them replace it. Just how hard will it be to do myself? I'm reasonably handy with tools. ;) Thanks.

It is reasonably easy.

See http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?6755-Repanelling-Vistas

Why would you even consider repairing a new damaged speaker. Tell the dealer to order you another pair and swap them out!

Why would you even consider repairing a new damaged speaker. Tell the dealer to order you another pair and swap them out!

Well, I can't prove that it was damaged in transit. I've had them nearly a month--they'd probably wonder why I hadn't noticed before. I really don't have a good explanation aside from it's rather dark in my audio room, plus it's not that noticeable from across the room. It was only when I got up close trying to hear the source of the static/sizzling noise that I noticed the dent in the screen.

Well, I can't prove that it was damaged in transit. I've had them nearly a month--they'd probably wonder why I hadn't noticed before. I really don't have a good explanation aside from it's rather dark in my audio room, plus it's not that noticeable from across the room. It was only when I got up close trying to hear the source of the static/sizzling noise that I noticed the dent in the screen.

If you have a good relationship with this dealer, it should not be a problem. Was there any exterior damage to the carton or inner packing material?

If you have a good relationship with this dealer, it should not be a problem. Was there any exterior damage to the carton or inner packing material?

The delivery person from the store unboxed them outside, so I didn't get a chance to inspect the boxes.

All i can say is how awful! I am very sorry to hear about what happened to your new Theos loudspeaker. Subjectively speaking and with respect for every ones opinions on this thread. Your dealer may have insured the ML's against precisely such an incident. I would say that please do not try to repair the loudspeakers yourself, even though you may. I say this because it could void your warranty with Martin Logan. Best to explain the problem to your dealer and request him for a, without expense, electrostatic panel replacement.

Hope all will be okay again soon, my friend.

Last edited:
Only you know all the circumstances of the panel damage. If you are certain that it did not occur after delivery, stay out of it and ask the dealer to replace the pair...yes the pair...as they should break-in at the same rate. If not, ask that the panel be replaced, by the dealer, under warranty and that the dealer test the speaker to determine if there is any damage to the electronics before accepting the repair. But, whichever you choose...DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF!

It was absolutely done during transit. I requested a new speaker today--the dealer is looking into it.

Just keep in mind that the Electromotions model is the only electrostatic product of ML that are not matched pairs. Happy listening!

ML agreed to a new speaker (I'm not going to push for a pair), so I'll just have to live with the horror of an unmatched pair. There might be a measurable difference, but I bet it's scarcely, if at all, audible. Surely their tolerances are pretty tight to begin with.

Ok guys, i have been following this and need to jump in. First, given the short time he had them and the question of when the dent could have occured outside of his view, we are opting to replace both given the good relationship that we have with his dealer and trust of their staff. if it is so obvious a dent, it certainly wouldn't been boxed in the first place, so someone, somewhere did knee/kick something.
BUT, there is something being said here that needs clarity on and is something I believe I have talked about before. ML does full QC of each part and then the full assembly against ONE reference so unit to unit variance is very small. In this day and age with much more consistent parts and a fully vetted assembly and measurement system, we do not match pairs to each other as all pairs are matched to a "best", otherwise there is a potential of drift to occur and pairs made at different times may sound different from each other. The reason we ask to match with another is we do our best to match grain of the veneers. In the old days, yes, it was more critical because of the cruder assembly methods, bigger variances in components like caps and woofers, it was more important, but now, it is not the case. Otherwise, a service situation would be impossible to support and afford as both speakers would have to be shipped back, essentially remanufactred, thus making warranty and after warranty service horribly expensive and virtually impossible. Remember this, a B&W or a Wilson would send a new driver out to repair their top speakers if something is blown so our stance on this is the norm. Looking outside our industry, would Bugatti give you a new car if some engine component failed? No, a perfect replacement part would be put in. Now, if someone has on older pair we may recomemnd pair replacement, but if it is a fairly new pair, a single part, of course built to meet a single standard, would be sent.

Ok guys, i have been following this and need to jump in. First, given the short time he had them and the question of when the dent could have occured outside of his view, we are opting to replace both given the good relationship that we have with his dealer and trust of their staff. if it is so obvious a dent, it certainly wouldn't been boxed in the first place, so someone, somewhere did knee/kick something.
BUT, there is something being said here that needs clarity on and is something I believe I have talked about before. ML does full QC of each part and then the full assembly against ONE reference so unit to unit variance is very small. In this day and age with much more consistent parts and a fully vetted assembly and measurement system, we do not match pairs to each other as all pairs are matched to a "best", otherwise there is a potential of drift to occur and pairs made at different times may sound different from each other. The reason we ask to match with another is we do our best to match grain of the veneers. In the old days, yes, it was more critical because of the cruder assembly methods, bigger variances in components like caps and woofers, it was more important, but now, it is not the case. Otherwise, a service situation would be impossible to support and afford as both speakers would have to be shipped back, essentially remanufactred, thus making warranty and after warranty service horribly expensive and virtually impossible. Remember this, a B&W or a Wilson would send a new driver out to repair their top speakers if something is blown so our stance on this is the norm. Looking outside our industry, would Bugatti give you a new car if some engine component failed? No, a perfect replacement part would be put in. Now, if someone has on older pair we may recomemnd pair replacement, but if it is a fairly new pair, a single part, of course built to meet a single standard, would be sent.

Thank you very much. I deeply appreciate your generosity and professionalism. Not only do you make some of the best speakers in the world, I can hardly imagine better customer service.

Thank you. My replacements arrived today...aah, blessed relief! Since the damaged one was arcing from the get-go, I probably never heard the original pair at their best.

Back