Newbie from ATL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

action01

Reaction score
Hi,
ML owners, been a big fan of ML speakers and this website.:bowdown: I recently built a house in Powder Springs Ga and decided to designate one of the rooms in the basement for A/V. After hanging out in a Magnolia store, listening to the Purities and Source, I got the ML itch. I decided to look for some MLs on the used market circuit, at the time, there were one pair of MLs listed in the metro area and when I called on them they were sold. I found a set of Aeirus i, Cinema center and Abyss sub. We have been in the new house for about a month, the room in the basement is not finished and roughly 21 X 22, the ceiling is insulated. I am now in the process of deciding how I want the room to look, pulling cable, setting up lighting, etc. I decided to unbox the equipment I purchased just to make sure it worked, the Mls were purchased from original owners, Also went out there and purchased a B&K pre amp/amp (200.5). I have a 60" LCD in the room for now as well, will definite upgrade to a 1080p projector, but for now, pushing a HD Dvd and direct tv, I am good until I get the room finished. I picked up some 12g speaker wire and plugged the MLS in............ very nice....and they really make movies come alive. Even though I only have the front stage setup and the room is not finished, they light up the whole basement, which is about 2000 sqft. My son and I love watching movies in the room, there are no windows in this room, but will have a double door entrance. I have encountered one problem with one of the Aerius, it pops sometimes while listening to music/movie. i vacuumed the front of the speaker, now it doesnt pop as much, any suggestions. Also thinking about scripts for the surround or even moving the Aeirus to the rear and maybe picking up some Ascents for the front, will pickup a separate amp or even monoblocks for the fronts, Definitely will stay with the older line because I am a old school "G":rocker: Also have about 500 LPs ranging from 40's to late 80's, thinking about setting up separate phono/rack on wall in the room, Spent a lot of time reading up on ML, this website, old reviews, on such things as placement, toe-in, bass traps, gear, tubes....seems like everything i make an adjustment they sound better, cant wait to get the room finished, Definitely need advice on ceiling acoustics, pre-wire, drywall, room treatments.:music:

Milt Jackson
action01

Welcome. Sounds like you're going to have a great media room! The speakers should never pop. Hopefully, it is just a dusty panel and the vacuuming of the rear of the panels takes care of it.

Welcome !...Ditto what Bernard and Steve said.

Welcome! Nice to see someone else in the ATL area. :rocker: If you get a chance post some pics of your area as you place your system in the room. I'm sure there are several here with the knowledge who will be able to give you excellent advice on speaker placement, ceiling/wall acoustic absorption and the like.

Welcome! Nice to see someone else in the ATL area. :rocker: If you get a chance post some pics of your area as you place your system in the room. I'm sure there are several here with the knowledge who will be able to give you excellent advice on speaker placement, ceiling/wall acoustic absorption and the like.

Thanks, will post pictures as I progress with the room,.....WOW! Nice clean setup you have!:music:

Welcome. Sounds like you're going to have a great media room! The speakers should never pop. Hopefully, it is just a dusty panel and the vacuuming of the rear of the panels takes care of it.

Thanks! everyone for the tip, unplugged the speaker this afternoon and tomorrow will give her a thorough vacuuming! Hopes this resolve the problem!

Thanks! everyone for the tip, unplugged the speaker this afternoon and tomorrow will give her a thorough vacuuming! Hopes this resolve the problem!

Vacuumed the Speaker, the popping went totally away, it actually sounds better than the other speaker, guess I will be cleaning it also:music:

AJ, it depends on the speaker environment how often you have to vacuum them. Some here vacuum on a regular basis, say every month or two. Others rarely vacuum, if at all. I purchased my Aerius speakers in 1995 and vacuumed them for the first time within this last year. They have never popped or crackled or anything like that. Now, I vacuum every couple of months, just as a precaution. We know they don't like dust and smoke and dander and stuff like that. The humidity will also play into this. Glad your problem cleared up!

Steve,
I have only had them for a couple of months, when I got them in the mail, I opened the boxes up to make sure the speakers were not damaged, sealed them back up and put them in storage. When we moved, everything was placed in the basement, One day I decided to open everything up just to get a test drive of the MLs, everything worked and sounded "Great", The cinema compliments the Aerius very well and the Abyss steps right in with the lows. The previous owner purchased them brand new and said they were in a nonsmoking environment, That was my first time vacuuming the speaker and I used a Dyson vac, Jim Powers told me they used compressed air from a compressor @ ML, I tried it with my compressor and the speaker sounded brand new and no pops, listen for a couple of hours, no problems so far, Jim said cleaning on a regular basis only helps the speakers. I thought it was pretty neat talking to him on the phone, nice Guy, cant beat the service, speakers were built in 99, and still get phone support for them.:musicnote:

Last edited:
Hi,
ML owners, been a big fan of ML speakers and this website.:bowdown: I recently built a house in Powder Springs Ga and decided to designate one of the rooms in the basement for A/V. After hanging out in a Magnolia store, listening to the Purities and Source, I got the ML itch. I decided to look for some MLs on the used market circuit, at the time, there were one pair of MLs listed in the metro area and when I called on them they were sold. I found a set of Aeirus i, Cinema center and Abyss sub. We have been in the new house for about a month, the room in the basement is not finished and roughly 21 X 22, the ceiling is insulated. I am now in the process of deciding how I want the room to look, pulling cable, setting up lighting, etc. I decided to unbox the equipment I purchased just to make sure it worked, the Mls were purchased from original owners, Also went out there and purchased a B&K pre amp/amp (200.5). I have a 60" LCD in the room for now as well, will definite upgrade to a 1080p projector, but for now, pushing a HD Dvd and direct tv, I am good until I get the room finished. I picked up some 12g speaker wire and plugged the MLS in............ very nice....and they really make movies come alive. Even though I only have the front stage setup and the room is not finished, they light up the whole basement, which is about 2000 sqft. My son and I love watching movies in the room, there are no windows in this room, but will have a double door entrance. I have encountered one problem with one of the Aerius, it pops sometimes while listening to music/movie. i vacuumed the front of the speaker, now it doesnt pop as much, any suggestions. Also thinking about scripts for the surround or even moving the Aeirus to the rear and maybe picking up some Ascents for the front, will pickup a separate amp or even monoblocks for the fronts, Definitely will stay with the older line because I am a old school "G":rocker: Also have about 500 LPs ranging from 40's to late 80's, thinking about setting up separate phono/rack on wall in the room, Spent a lot of time reading up on ML, this website, old reviews, on such things as placement, toe-in, bass traps, gear, tubes....seems like everything i make an adjustment they sound better, cant wait to get the room finished, Definitely need advice on ceiling acoustics, pre-wire, drywall, room treatments.:music:

Milt Jackson
action01

Milt, first, :welcome:

It’s really nice to be able to start fresh with listening room.

Yours is almost square, which is a bit of problem, so if there's any opportunity to get closer to Golden ratios, then all the better.

If not then some judicious room treatments will really help.

I'd be happy to give advice on those challenges. Please post some question in the main forum, and we can take it from there.

Finally, it’s good to see the Atlanta contingent grow. I was wondering if I was the only ML-head in GA ;)

Back