New to me SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayovelez

Reaction score
Hello All!!!!!

I finally got some decent speakers. I have purchased a mint SL3. They sound incredible, the staging, separation and detail are phenomenal. Prior to this I had Polk SDA 1c, and let me tell you these sl3 are no comparison. I have no issues with them, however I am planning on doing the inside woofer cab with some dynamat extreme, also perhaps shower the panels. I have one question: For amp I have an upgraded Adcom GFA-555ii with a adcom gfp-450 and was thinking on bi-amping these SL3, I have a spare 545ii, how do I do that? My pre-amp only has one set of pre-amp. Thanks all. Please be kind I am new to the separates deal and higher end speakers.:confused:

Cayo,

Monster Cable and others make a one male / two female adapter plug, which should accomplish the purpose. I assume you want to send one line level to your amp and the other to a powered sub or you want to use your Adcom amps in a mono configuration. Is that correct?

Also, see my post in the "Tweaks" section regarding what I did to my SL3's. I used "Road Kill" instead of Dynamat. Well worth doing.

GG

Thanks for your reply Gordon, I will look for road kill instead of dynamat. Also, I was mistaken on my pre-amp, it does have 2 sets of outputs however here is my story, thanks:I am very new to this site and to audio componets also. Have an issue and don't know how to deal with it. Here is my set up: Martin Logan SL3, Adcom GFA-555ii, Adcom GFP-555ii and Nakamichi PA-5. Is all somewhat new to me, I had the adcom stuff running some polk sda 1c. The Martin Logan sl3 and the Nakamichi PA-5 were given to me. So here is my dilema: I want to run the GFA-555ii for the lows and the Nakamichi PA-5 for the mid/highs via the Adcom GFP-555ii, bi-amping my SL3 but don't know which way is better. The adcom GFP-555ii has 2 sets of pre-out one is direct coupled and the other is capacitively. So far without bi-amping at all both amps sound way better via the capacitively(main) output, because I can control the bass and trebel to my liking. The straight(bypass) output sounds fine, but is kinda flat. So for me to take advantage of the bass and treble adjustment the tone in on my pre-amp has to be pushed in or depressed, however doing so will invert the polarity on the main output. My option 2 is to run some y connectors to my main output. I am soooo confused, please help Thanks

OK Cayo. Let's try this and see if it makes sense.

Run one pair of line level interconnects from one set of your "main" preamp outputs to the Nak amp. This amp will be the power for the panel. Run a pair of speaker wires from the amp to the top speaker terminals of the speaker. In order to address the "polarity" issue, attach the black (negative) speaker wire lead at the amp to the red (positive) terminal post. Same "reverse" scenario for the red speaker lead at the amp. At the speaker end, red to red and black to black.

Same show for the Adcom amp to power the woofers but you'll of course be attaching the speaker wire to the bottom speaker terminals.

I'd listen to this for awhile and then listen with the preamp interconnects hooked to the "bypass" terminal. When you do this, remember to change the speaker wire polarity at the amp to red / red, black / black. Leave the speaker wire connects at the speaker the same.

In theory, the bypass should sound better because it is no longer influenced by other circuitry in the preamp, such as bass and treble controls.

Hope that helps. Give it a try and see what happens. Send a PM if you have additional questions.

Gordon

PS: I wouldn't "shower" the panels unless you know for sure that they are not operating at optimum. You will need the one male / two female adapter (2 total) to make the line level preamp outs work as described above.

Last edited:
Welcome to Martin Logan world!

All you need is a simple "Y" adapter to do the trick. You'll find them at your local radio shack, however I'd recommend a better pair. I've got a pair of Cardas Y adapters I keep on hand just in case I ever feel the need for speed to bi-amp. Not to knock Adcom, but I'd recommend a different amp for the SL3's to sound their best. All the best!

2b

Attachments

• P1040267.jpg
    P1040267.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 241
Hi 2be,

I agree that a "Y" splitter will certainly work. However, the Monster Cable splitter is effectively one machined piece with no wires and, in theory, should be a more robust (read less loss of signal) connection than what you've shown.

GG

PS: The part number is AYM2F-H-RCA Y adapter. List is $26 per each. Can buy at Amazon.com for $20.

Last edited:
Thanks again all and specially Gordon. Well I spent 2 days cleaning and preping my SL3 for some cleanning and upgrades. I followed the road kill advice from Gordon, and wow it makes a huge difference. Cleanned my panels really good(no shower) they are sounding well. Put everything back together and I am very happy. Also I got the monster Y adapters and it worked like a charm. I am appreciate the advice, thanks. I am about to crank my Alesis ADAT with some 74 Greatful Dead and see how my ears do. Also, I love my little Adcom GFA-555ii upgraded by musical concepts.
Thanks, Carlos

Back