New speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUB SRT

Reaction score
Well I want some change for my set up and want to replace my floors. I currently have montages. I want the sources, but are hard to find. The new floor standing electro motion sound awful to me. Was very disappointed with ML... So if I cant get the sources, ill be forced to go outside ML... Was thinking the BWs CM8GB... Whats everyone elses thoughts?

I had the Vantage and yes they would be a very nice upgrade!

I have a pair of Sources I would like to sell. However, I neglected to keep the shipping boxes and that poses a problem. Send me a private message for any questions.

I do like the new Electromotion ESL enough that I bought a pair. Maybe the speakers you heard weren't set up right or broken in yet.

I have a pair of Sources I would like to sell. However, I neglected to keep the shipping boxes and that poses a problem. Send me a private message for any questions.

I do like the new Electromotion ESL enough that I bought a pair. Maybe the speakers you heard weren't set up right or broken in yet.

I didnt like the cab. Seemed cheap. And the sound was tiny with no depth to it. Ill take my montages over the esl any day.

Thanks for the offer, but I will be buying my speakers through work.

Electromotions sound better than the sources. Maybe the one u heard was just setup and needs break-in.

I didnt like the cab. Seemed cheap. And the sound was tiny with no depth to it. Ill take my montages over the esl any day.

Thanks for the offer, but I will be buying my speakers through work.

Something was obviously awry. Would be a shame if you continue to think that's the way panels sound because they don't.

But if you like your other speaker, why change.

GG

Something was obviously awry. Would be a shame if you continue to think that's the way panels sound because they don't.

But if you like your other speaker, why change.

GG

So gordon, your saying the new esl are suppose to sound better than the sources? Cause they are right next to each other at work and you can hear a huge difference.

I have also never heard of these needing a break in period.

Last edited:
They suggest 72 hours break in time in the owners manual. The manuals can be downloaded in PDF form on the Martin Logan home site.

Last edited:
I was making a general observation on how ML panels sound based on having owned four different models over 25 years. I have no reason to believe that the technology in the electromotion series is any different that what ML has been using for years. If that's not the case, I stand corrected.

If you think they sound thin and have no depth, that's fine with me. Move on.

And yes, the panels, and more so the driver, do need break in.

GG

At Best Buy a few weeks ago I helped the sales rep set up new Electromotions right out of the box. We set them up right next to a pair of Sources. Right out of the box they were not sounding that great (stiff, straight, almost like a wall was not letting the sound come through) compared to the Sources. The rep said they have had the Sources for a couple of years. He said the Sources had the same flat sound when he initially set them up.

I went back a couple weeks later to compare the Electromotions and the Sources. The rep said the Electromotions now had about 40 hours of break in time on them and what a difference. The mids and highs were sounding great and the lows had almost caught up to the Sources.

I too am looking for a pair of ML's and when I get back into the states I will be comparing these two again as well as against a pair of Vantages. I also found a place that has the Ethos and Summits so I am eager to go there as well. Definitely, for me panels, will be the way to go.

Lol. Would love to, except dont have that kind of money

then stick with what you have and call it a day !.......hell you're only talking movies.....LOL ! .....seriously, get a better sub, processor ,etc for the 'boom-boom' effect

Also I use my system mainly for movies... Rarely do I do any 2 CH music listening... just fyi

then stick with what you have and call it a day !.......hell you're only talking movies.....LOL ! .....seriously, get a better sub, processor ,etc for the 'boom-boom' effect

I have a great sub... Listen to music too. Lol
I agree with Dave, but you then changed your story.

Well the ESL have had about 40 hrs to break in... Still sound a bit flat than the sources... I was thinking about buying the sources, but the ones I found.. The one speaker has a loose panel... Seems to have some play from what appears from someone moving it by the panel... So don't know if Ill pick those up or not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJuq9ZMtWUc

Last edited:
Back