Trickledown....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I upgraded my 5.1 system rear speakers and it already sounds much better.
But I still haven't added additional speakers yet.

I currently have the following with the center channel just below the TV and the other 4 speakers high on the walls in the corners of the room and the subwoofer is down firing in the back.

L C R

seating

L SB R

My Bigscreen Beyond VR headset used uOLED technology and it has fantastic blacks in game. I'm in no way saying OLED was something I chose against. It's great tech.

I currently have the following with the center channel just below the TV and the other 4 speakers high on the walls in the corners of the room and the subwoofer is down firing in the back.

L C R

seating

L SB R

My Bigscreen Beyond VR headset used uOLED technology and it has fantastic blacks in game. I'm in no way saying OLED was something I chose against. It's great tech.
Yeah, my Vive is OLED too I think. The blacks on my LG are incredible. My original 55 inch LG OLED burned in, but I bought an extra warranty and got all of my $2500 back! I then used that to buy our 77 inch LG OLED. It was the largest they made at the time. I only had to spend about an extra $800 on that. I bought another extended warranty for it, just in case it happens again. You have to be sure the warranty covers burn in. Best Buy's does, at least when I got mine a few years ago. Some warranties do not.

The new QD-OLED tvs should have the best picture ever. I think there are computer monitors that have it now too. My next monitor will probably have that, as well as the new display port 2 tech coming out. The new Nvidia rtx 5000 series will have display port 2.

The new QD-OLED tvs are probably susceptible to burn in I suspect. The new LG OLED tvs have tech to try and prevent it. There's a few things it does. It makes minute shifts in the position of stationary images like tv channel logos. I think it also dims them so burn in is less likely. So far my 77 inch hasn't burned in, it has this new tech my old one did not.

I worry about gaming because things like the UI in games don't move, and stuff on the desktop is motionless too. Yesterday I was at Microcenter getting a new Xbox controller for my pc, the old one developed stick drift. I was able to turn in my old for a brand new because I bought a warranty for that. Great deal. The controller was $60, warranty only $15. Anyhow, a OLED monitor they have there got burn in. The sales guy showed me. It sits there all day with the same image.

L C R

seating

L SB R

Since you're not using Atmos, you can just leave it in PCM and get everything except Atmos. You can try both ways and compare sound quality. I'm curious to hear which you think sounds better.

Since you're not using Atmos, you can just leave it in PCM and get everything except Atmos. You can try both ways and compare sound quality. I'm curious to hear which you think sounds better.

I'm looking into Atmos. I have a finished ceiling in my media room in the basement with inset theater lighting. Running the speaker cables looks challenging, but I think it would be doable. I could set up a 5.1.4 system. I'd have a 2nd subwoofer just for even distribution, but there is a large cat tree where it would go and I have to get around an 800lb weight system, so my flexibility is limited. I would ideally move the front L & R speakers lower on the wall.

Something to think about.

I'm curious to see what you think about the sound produced comparing bitstream and PCM out of the new player. I'm thinking that your receiver might do a better job of decoding.

Interesting....

He pointed out that the difference between HDR10+ and HDR Dolby was very noticeable, but otherwise found it hard to tell the difference between the Panasonic and the X-Box. They had two LG OLED TV's side by side running identical source material.

Last edited:
Interesting....

He pointed out that the difference between HDR10+ and HDR Dolby was very noticeable, but otherwise found it hard to tell the difference between the Panasonic and the X-Box. They had two LG OLED TV's side by side running identical source material.

Yeah, he compared the lower end Panasonic player, not the one I own and not the one I linked here. His prices are way high! He says the 9000 is $1300, but it's more like $1000. He didn't compare the correct player. I'd be extremely surprised if an Xbox looks and sounds as good as the nice one. It's like saying Bose speakers sound as good as Martin Logan.

1000002394.jpg

I think there is not much difference on DVD players if only used se a transporter of the digital signal. Some jitter perhaps. If decoding the audio then difference is surely bigger, but my AVR does a better job. Noice wise the dedicated player is surely much more quit.

Yeah, he compared the lower end Panasonic player, not the one I own and not the one I linked here. His prices are way high! He says the 9000 is $1300, but it's more like $1000. He didn't compare the correct player. I'd be extremely surprised if an Xbox looks and sounds as good as the nice one. It's like saying Bose speakers sound as good as Martin Logan.

I think that the more expensive version has better analog processing if you use that rather than just running it all out the HDMI cable, and it has a more solid upscale case, but I'm not sure what else it does better than the 820 which I went with. I didn't see any differences between them that mattered to me. In terms of the X-Box, that wasn't a consideration since I don't have a gaming console.

I think that the more expensive version has better analog processing if you use that rather than just running it all out the HDMI cable, and it has a more solid upscale case, but I'm not sure what else it does better than the 820 which I went with. I didn't see any differences between them that mattered to me. In terms of the X-Box, that wasn't a consideration since I don't have a gaming console.
They do appear similar in respect to video output.

Had to turn off that audio assistant FAST! Wow! That is some extremely annoying artificial sounding speed talking!

It auto configured to send out HDR10+ and 4:4:4 4K 60fps and 7.2 surround. I tested out a recent BD and it seems to work well enough.

Tomorrow Planet Earth III arrives and this weekend, I've got a copy of Star Wars a new Hope and Top Gun Maverick in 4K. Otherwise, I'm not planning on collecting a pile of UHD BD's.

We've been streaming Apple TV's Foundation lately and I suspect we will steam most content and eventually over the years the bit rates will improve.

However, I am starting to wonder if I should have gone for a 98" TV. I'm hearing a lot of people are pretty awestruck with the relatively inexpensive TCL 98" TV.

Last edited:
Thanks, Robert, I will check into a new LG and Dolby Vision. I don't have a BD player, only use Amazon cube.
Does the Amazon Cube have Dolby Vision? I bet it does. Just about every streaming device does these days. Even the Amazon Fire Stick has it, and it's low priced. I used it for awhile before I got an Apple TV 4k.
LG has an OLED TV that's bigger than 77 inches now. When I bought mine, 77 was the largest.
LG has the rights to OLED screens, so other manufacturers use their screen and then add their own electronics.

I got the Planet Earth III UHD HDR disks today and they do look pretty amazing and much better than any TV I've ever owned. I'm not suggesting my TV can outperform an OLED TV. It goes very bright, but nothing competes with the dark blacks of OLED at least not yet.

I got the Planet Earth III UHD HDR disks today and they do look pretty amazing and much better than any TV I've ever owned. I'm not suggesting my TV can outperform an OLED TV. It goes very bright, but nothing competes with the dark blacks of OLED at least not yet.
That new OD-OLED tech that Samsung has is probably going to be the best, since it has both technologies in it. Ive not ever seen one, but I suspect they are on display somewhere. Although you cant have Dolby Vision on Samsung, 😔

Back