Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those Lansche plasma speakers? They sound GREAT! Did you get to hear them?

Er no, not really - in the sense that they weren't playing loud enough.

I'm sure it is possible to miss some good gear because of this factor i.e. what is being played/how loud it is being played when you happen to be in the room. Sad fact of life.

I'm Spartacus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulgarian Thrax amp. Tasty enough for its own post. Now read the description on the website link or download the PDF brochure - and tell me how many WPCs it puts out. Er.... :D

Attachments

• SDC13165-qpr.jpg
    SDC13165-qpr.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 522
Melody 845 based 150 Watt amp with 4 and 8 Ohm taps. Enough power to drive MLs. Looks new - can't see it listed here. It's a monoblock - 13,900 Euros and they are yours.

Attachments

• SDC13166-qpr.jpg
    SDC13166-qpr.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Justin,

It's Spartacus. That means mucho!

Who needs stinkin numbers anyway.

Gordon

Hm.. new tactic - upload the photos first. That way, if that activity fails, you don't lose text you typed. I had even copied the text into the paste buffer... but it took out the entire IE9 tab and the paste buffer with it, or so it seemed.

Anyway Gordon, I can assure it that it is most certainly NOT Spartacus. I am!!!:ROFL:

Swissonor and a bunch of Thorens TTs. Can't say I was gobsmacked by the sound in here, but it did remind me of World Audio Design DIY gear we have over here. Very similar sound to a WAD setup, I thought.

Attachments

• SDC13187-qpr.jpg
    SDC13187-qpr.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 446
  • SDC13184-qpr.jpg
    SDC13184-qpr.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 445
  • SDC13182-qpr.jpg
    SDC13182-qpr.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 439
  • SDC13185-qpr.jpg
    SDC13185-qpr.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 455
  • SDC13183-qpr.jpg
    SDC13183-qpr.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 444
Hm.. new tactic - upload the photos first. That way, if that activity fails, you don't lose text you typed. I had even copied the text into the paste buffer... but it took out the entire IE9 tab and the paste buffer with it, or so it seemed.

Anyway Gordon, I can assure it that it is most certainly NOT Spartacus. I am!!!:ROFL:

Swissonor and a bunch of Thorens TTs. Can't say I was gobsmacked by the sound in here, but it did remind me of World Audio Design DIY gear we have over here. Very similar sound to a WAD setup, I thought.

Those B.A.C.H. speakers appear to want to live in the room corners... and I read in their fact sheet something about the "too easily forgotten physical law of energy continuum"... uuhhh, OK. So I guess they are somewhat like Emerald Physics designs that want to be miles apart in the corners to take advantage of a fairly directional wave launch and, as a result, reduced room interaction... yeah? Or perhaps this is a huge don't-care since it sounds like you felt they kinda sucked anyway.

Kharma. I heard a very expensive Kharma system using 2.3s a few months ago. I must admiit I thought it extremely laid back.

No change here - extremely laid back. But I stayed in the room for quite a while. It had the most comfortable chairs of the show - and I thought if I stayed I might gain some insight as to why people like these speakers.

The volume was low. But the sound was relaxing and actually quite well resolved. Ultimately there just isn't enough get up and go here for me - a pleasant but ultimately boring experience. Each to their own, though. For people who just want to relax, chill out and maybe even go to sleep - this is the stuff you should think about. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Attachments

• SDC13191-qpr.jpg
    SDC13191-qpr.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 448
  • SDC13189-qpr.jpg
    SDC13189-qpr.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 446
  • SDC13190-qpr.jpg
    SDC13190-qpr.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 441
  • SDC13188-qpr.jpg
    SDC13188-qpr.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 450
Kharma. I heard a very expensive Kharma system using 2.3s a few months ago. I must admiit I thought it extremely laid back.

No change here - extremely laid back. But I stayed in the room for quite a while. It had the most comfortable chairs of the show - and I thought if I stayed I might gain some insight as to why people like these speakers.

The volume was low. But the sound was relaxing and actually quite well resolved. Ultimately there just isn't enough get up and go here for me - a pleasant but ultimately boring experience. Each to their own, though. For people who just want to relax, chill out and maybe even go to sleep - this is the stuff you should think about. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I heard the Ceramiques at Goodwin's High End in Boston a few years ago (fed by Spectral and dCS gear)... thought they were marvelous playing some Vince Gauraldi... BUT, still to this day can't get over the "infant coffin" aesthetic design... bbbrrrhhhhaaahhh... spine-chills.

Those B.A.C.H. speakers appear to want to live in the room corners... and I read in their fact sheet something about the "too easily forgotten physical law of energy continuum"... uuhhh, OK. So I guess they are somewhat like Emerald Physics designs that want to be miles apart in the corners to take advantage of a fairly directional wave launch and, as a result, reduced room interaction... yeah? Or perhaps this is a huge don't-care since it sounds like you felt they kinda sucked anyway.

I liked the room because of the blue Thorens TT which I think looks ace. That Thales tonearm - totaly weird & off the wall - made another cool appearance too. The amps look very well made and have a unique aesthetic to them, so good marks there. The speakers let it down. Not terrible, just not great performers. Sort of average paper cone type sound to them. Or at least they sounded that way - haven't checked if they do use paper cones.

I heard the Ceramiques at Goodwin's High End in Boston a few years ago (fed by Spectral and dCS gear)... thought they were marvelous playing some Vince Gauraldi... BUT, still to this day can't get over the "infant coffin" aesthetic design... bbbrrrhhhhaaahhh... spine-chills.

Be honest - did you think they had a laid back presentation to them? You don't need to agree with me, I'm just curious if you thought that was a trait? Maybe the Spectral's had enough life to kick them into gear???

Avalon's - once again managing to make me think "what is all the fuss about?". I have come across them a few times now and not once have they ever made me think "this is a really good speaker". I know Adam and Tim etc think they're great... I've yet to hear why. More volume would have helped. I really feel you need around 80DB to get a good impression - and it was well below that in here. Fed a diet of music I'm not keen on either.

I wouldn't discount me thinking differently with some welly and a few of my own disks.

A lot of money in this room - as you'll see.

Attachments

• SDC13283-qpr.jpg
    SDC13283-qpr.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 441
  • SDC13281-qpr.jpg
    SDC13281-qpr.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 442
  • SDC13282-qpr.jpg
    SDC13282-qpr.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 444
  • SDC13280-qpr.jpg
    SDC13280-qpr.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 443
  • SDC13285-qpr.jpg
    SDC13285-qpr.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 437
More pics from the same room.

Attachments

• SDC13290-qpr.jpg
    SDC13290-qpr.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 434
  • SDC13287-qpr.jpg
    SDC13287-qpr.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 443
  • SDC13289-qpr.jpg
    SDC13289-qpr.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 442
  • SDC13286-qpr.jpg
    SDC13286-qpr.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 445
  • SDC13291-qpr.jpg
    SDC13291-qpr.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
And more...

Attachments

• SDC13294-qpr.jpg
    SDC13294-qpr.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 438
  • SDC13293-qpr.jpg
    SDC13293-qpr.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 435
  • SDC13292-qpr.jpg
    SDC13292-qpr.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 429
When have I been anything but honest with you? I feel like we're fighting all the time now. I think we may need to take a break from each other. Wait! - I was channeling a conversation from a psychotic GF I had back in the late 80s.

OK... did I think the Kharmas sounded "laid back"?... hmmmmm... maybe a little. I just remember them doing an amazing dissappearing act - leaving only the music behind. And I was playing fairly benign jazz, so not sure if that lent some to any perceived laid-backness. I guess all in all I was quite impressed with the sound and didn't feel there were any major drawbacks given everything surrounding that audition... except for their physical appearance. Didn't like it then - don't like it now.

Avalon's - once again managing to make me think "what is all the fuss about?". I have come across them a few times now and not once have they ever made me think "this is a really good speaker". I know Adam and Tim etc think they're great... I've yet to hear why. More volume would have helped. I really feel you need around 80DB to get a good impression - and it was well below that in here. Fed a diet of music I'm not keen on either.

I wouldn't discount me thinking differently with some welly and a few of my own disks.

A lot of money in this room - as you'll see.

Again with the lightyear distance between the speakers... huh.

When have I been anything but honest with you? I feel like we're fighting all the time now. I think we may need to take a break from each other. Wait! - I was channeling a conversation from a psychotic GF I had back in the late 80s.

Hm... that's why your head appears so warped. I've got just the solution for you. You'll thank me - all your warpiness will simply disappear.:D

Attachments

• SDC13295-qpr.jpg
    SDC13295-qpr.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 688
  • SDC13296-qpr.jpg
    SDC13296-qpr.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 739
"what is all the fuss about?". I have come across them a few times now and not once have they ever made me think "this is a really good speaker". I know Adam and Tim etc think they're great... I've yet to hear why.

Maybe it was the SS amplification that didn't do it for you?

Thank you for all the effort here, Justin. I have enjoyed it very much.

I also find you commentary to be most entertaining. Your like John Madden, even if I don't agree with you I love hearing how you express your opinion.

Rock on.:rocker:

Back