Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two big regrets - I didn't get to hear the Lansche Cubus - which I'm told is awesome. And I missed the Acapella room. Now how, on earth, did I manage that? What a numpty.

Cubus is in the middle. Nice finish on the right and left hand speakers.

file.php

A few Aesthetix shots - including the two box Reference phono stage. They had a small system with Aesthetix kit in it, running speakers that in my opinion couldn't do it justice. Not enough space in there for a decent system. Bit of a shame.

I know it was a while ago now but just felt like posting a few more pics...:)

Attachments

• SDC13262-qpr.jpg
    SDC13262-qpr.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 324
  • SDC13263-qpr.jpg
    SDC13263-qpr.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 336
  • SDC13259-qpr.jpg
    SDC13259-qpr.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 332
  • SDC13264-qpr.jpg
    SDC13264-qpr.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 327
I find that the aesthetics of most of the horn systems shown in this thread leave a lot to be desired. I can't imagine them in most real-world living rooms. Man caves only, I guess.

I find that the aesthetics of most of the horn systems shown in this thread leave a lot to be desired. I can't imagine them in most real-world living rooms. Man caves only, I guess.

Bernard, I could not agree more... They look like some kind of bullhorn on a ferry crossing the Rhine River in Germany! Not attractive at all, and definitely not wife / woman friendly imho!

Alot of the other gear looks very nice in comparison...

Hm... love the Avantgardes visually - any model really. The WEs were obviously designed not to be seen - or at least in very subdued light. The Music Concrete's have a certain charm about them - though they'd look a lot better if the bass horn was circular.

To be honest, most featured here come with price tags for gentlemen with huge homes anyway. Probably with dedicated listening rooms. So size and looks possibly not too much of an issue.

I think there's something attractive about the shape of a trumpet - which is reflected in the better looking horns. In the flesh, the Trios look stunning. Much nicer than any Martin Logan/Apogee/Maggie etc but just IMHO, of course.

Very good sounding ProAc Carbon Pro 8s with Wadia WBS, MSB (in use), Sugden Masterclass etc. Displayed a detailed, clean, high resolution sound when I was in there. Nice.

Attachments

• SDC13062-qpr.jpg
    SDC13062-qpr.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 481
  • SDC13060-qpr.jpg
    SDC13060-qpr.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 474
  • SDC13061-qpr.jpg
    SDC13061-qpr.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 506
  • SDC13059-qpr.jpg
    SDC13059-qpr.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 495
More horns... actually I didn't pick up what these were... so they can't have made an impression - might not have been playing when I visited. Might go well with some of those white MBL components:D. Feel free to post if anyone can identify them... amps are Onix.

Attachments

• SDC13153-qpr.jpg
    SDC13153-qpr.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 528
Carbon Pro 8s with Wadia WBS, MSB (in use), Sugden Masterclass etc. Displayed a detailed, clean, high resolution sound when I was in there. Nice.

That MSB amp, while I understand is quite well received/regarded, looks as though it should be attached to a hose while it robotically cleans my pool.

It got mega reviews this side of the pond. Maybe it does ponds too:D

I could live with that system. It worked well.

It is interesting how some systems really stick in the mind, and others just don't. I can (or at least I think I can) remember exactly what that room sounded like.:rocker:

Proving that not all Transrotors are created equal - here's a few that aren't so good/didn't photo so well, for the sake of completeness/analogue junkiness.

Attachments

• SDC12891-qpr.jpg
    SDC12891-qpr.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 433
  • SDC12889-qpr.jpg
    SDC12889-qpr.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 419
  • SDC12890-qpr.jpg
    SDC12890-qpr.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 443
  • SDC12888-qpr.jpg
    SDC12888-qpr.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 423
  • SDC12892-qpr.jpg
    SDC12892-qpr.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 449
And yet more... but some obviously cost. Not that the lesser ones don't.

Some of these designs are vile, IMHO. Some not too bad at all.

Attachments

• SDC12904-qpr.jpg
    SDC12904-qpr.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 548
  • SDC12900-qpr.jpg
    SDC12900-qpr.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 432
  • SDC12901-qpr.jpg
    SDC12901-qpr.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 427
  • SDC12894-qpr.jpg
    SDC12894-qpr.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 439
  • SDC12905-qpr.jpg
    SDC12905-qpr.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 442
One more...:D

I wonder what the sum total of the retail value of TTs in that room actually came to.

The SME looked very laid back, if not a little cheap in the company of the ultra-bling. Think it had a Transrotor/SME arm variant on it - presumably the reason for its residence in the room. Or maybe they are saying "we won the TT war!!!":D.

Attachments

• SDC12911-qpr.jpg
    SDC12911-qpr.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 569
  • SDC12903-qpr.jpg
    SDC12903-qpr.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Justin, have you ever seen the infamous MacIntosh turntable in the flesh at any show?

Last edited:
Just wondering if MacIntosh ever had the guts to display that fugly machine, and if it is as ugly in real life as it is in the pictures. :)

It surely looks better in the flesh that the gold Transrotor Zet 3 above...
Nah, I'd take the Transrotor any day.

BTW looking at these pictures makes me realize how dated my VPI looks. Fortunately it still sounds good, but then I have not listened to anything else in an eternity.

Out of interest, of all TTs posted in this thread, which do you like best lookswise?

LOVE: The Clearaudio Statement and Acoustic Signatures. Also love the SME funnily enough - they have a sense of purposefulness and a "don't care what anyone else is doing". Love that.

HATE: The Continuums. Don't care how expensive they are.

Latest posts

Back