Munich Hi-End 2011 Hi-Fi Show

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swiss brand Orpheus. Never come across them before. Sounded very pleasant and looks well made - as you'd expect from the Swiss.

Attachments

• SDC13308-qpr.jpg
    SDC13308-qpr.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 617
  • SDC13310-qpr.jpg
    SDC13310-qpr.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 685
  • SDC13312-qpr.jpg
    SDC13312-qpr.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 615
Stunning room this - Tidal loudspeakers plus Absoluta amp and Cary CDP.

Other rooms carried Tidal loudspeakers but none sounded anywhere near as good as this. I kept returning for more - and came in when the amp had been swapped out for an Emille. It didn't approach the standard set by the Absoluta Partenope - in fact, it fell short by quite a distance by my recogning. It was a fair contest too as the same recordings were being used.

So I concluded that basically this was just a really good matching of equipment. I thought it pretty obvious that others in the same room were really impressed with this setup as well.

Some very nice equipment in the video - didn't get to hear the big Cary amps - which is a shame. In fact, I originally thought they were playing and thought they were fantastic - only to realise it was the Absoluta doing the work.

Top stuff. Oh - and if you like your amps wrapped up in tight black leather, Absoluta can satisfy your carnal needs:D

Attachments

• SDC13252-qpr.jpg
    SDC13252-qpr.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Stunning room this - Tidal loudspeakers plus Absoluta amp and Cary CDP.

Other rooms carried Tidal loudspeakers but none sounded anywhere near as good as this. I kept returning for more - and came in when the amp had been swapped out for an Emille. It didn't approach the standard set by the Absoluta Partenope - in fact, it fell short by quite a distance by my recogning. It was a fair contest too as the same recordings were being used.

So I concluded that basically this was just a really good matching of equipment. I thought it pretty obvious that others in the same room were really impressed with this setup as well.

Some very nice equipment in the video - didn't get to hear the big Cary amps - which is a shame. In fact, I originally thought they were playing and thought they were fantastic - only to realise it was the Absoluta doing the work.

Top stuff. Oh - and if you like your amps wrapped up in tight black leather, Absoluta can satisfy your carnal needs:D

Pretty effin' cool Justin! And I have to imagine the leather-wrapped kit would be The Dark Knight's amplification of choice. You don't happen to know what that music was that was playing? The sort of ambient stuff interspersed with the lazy bass notes...? I liked it!

Pretty effin' cool Justin! And I have to imagine the leather-wrapped kit would be The Dark Knight's amplification of choice. You don't happen to know what that music was that was playing? The sort of ambient stuff interspersed with the lazy bass notes...? I liked it!

I assume you've Shaz'd and Hounded - but no I can't help... they did play some stuff I have never heard in there that was just great. Didn't make the video however.

Aries amps - vile designs I think. Don't know what the horn loudspeakers are. Oddly I can't remember what this system sounded like. I can't have been impressed, therefore - and I I didn't stay in there too long.

EDIT: ah - sonic memory proded by the video - not too bad now I recall.:D I think I just suffered from amp aesthetic revulsion factor, and therefore had to leave quick...

Anyway, some pics & a video to mull over... just because I have them to post, really:)

Attachments

• SDC13052-qpr.jpg
    SDC13052-qpr.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 598
  • SDC13053-qpr.jpg
    SDC13053-qpr.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 578
  • SDC13054-qpr.jpg
    SDC13054-qpr.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
I assume you've Shaz'd and Hounded - but no I can't help... they did play some stuff I have never heard in there that was just great. Didn't make the video however.

Hound missed it the first time, but got it the second time... Brian Bromberg "Continuum" from his "JACO" album, released in 2002.

Hound missed it the first time, but got it the second time... Brian Bromberg "Continuum" from his "JACO" album, released in 2002.

Spotify has quite a few of his albums - but not that one. Listening to a cover of the B52's "Love Shack" from "It Is What It Is". The original is better - but it is a good listen especially if you like amazing slap bass playing and just damn fine muscians. Listened to quite a bit of his stuff yesterday. Not really my bag - but I did enjoy it - quite a bit actually.

Huh? Maybe it is my bag then...:D

Kuzma tonearms and Ayon tube amp video.

This video is pure close up geekdomness. You had better like watching closeups of the huge range of Kuzma tonearms.

The Ayon tube amps are very impressive to look at. I took loads of photos and they were all unpostable. The liberal dosage of chromed tranny tops plus all that glassware freaked the camera out - even in video mode. In fact - as I move from the tonearms to the amps, the video looks blurred in a way I have never seen it do. Interesting. Must get a Leica - they do a nice compact for around £6-700. Might get one.

That Bromberg stuff is being pumped through my little Mark & Daniel speakers as I type and hell is it well recorded.:rocker:

I was wondering what tubes the Austrian Ayon's were using. Just found out they roll their own: Ayon Tubes. They are impressive, well made looking beasts in the flesh.

Anyway, enough BS - here's the (long) vid:

Last edited:
Anyway - back to the subject of horns.

From these posts I think it must be apparent that Germans like horn loudspeakers. They are also still very fond of vinyl front ends.

What I liked about the show is the large number of horn systems - more than I have ever heard in a short space of one another. These systems - whether you like them or not - display a lot of character. From downright excellent to quite frankly appalling displays of sonic ineptitude. None of them were cheap, none can really be described as practical. Even an AG Nano is a big, heavy speaker - but I have heard it comes apart and isn't too bad to transport.

The speaker I find myself most itching to hear - purely as a result of hearing the basshorn output with the big AG Trio setup - is the AG Duo Mezzo I photographed in Hong Kong in 2008 - as below. Vaguely practical. The Duo Primo looks good too.

AG - put me on your payroll...:D Or just gimme a pair of Mezzos...:)

Attachments

• avant.jpg
    avant.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 447
  • avant2.jpg
    avant2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 421
  • avant3.jpg
    avant3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 418
Anyway, I haven't spoken about horns for a while...:D So it must be time for some more - Farber Acoustic Art. A quick Google and I didn't find a website. That doesn't mean to say there isn't one.

These were pretty good and really quite enjoyable. The black boxes behind the horns are huge subs. The blond haired guy was acting as the DJ. A good room. I award it one rocker.:rocker:

Attachments

• SDC13192-qpr.jpg
    SDC13192-qpr.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 421
  • SDC13194-qpr.jpg
    SDC13194-qpr.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 422
  • SDC13195-qpr.jpg
    SDC13195-qpr.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 414
Some Maggies - including the 3.7. Couldn't hear the 3.7 at the show. Shame - as I really liked the 1.7.

But close up, with the benefit of touch, these things feel so fickle and insubstantial on their pathetically inadequate stands, you have to ask yourself - why don't they just make them properly? They really should - they'd be that much better for it, I'm sure.

I'm not out to upset Maggie owners. I just think the above statement is entirely justified.

Attachments

• SDC13349-qpr.jpg
    SDC13349-qpr.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 430
Some Maggies - including the 3.7. Couldn't hear the 3.7 at the show. Shame - as I really liked the 1.7.

But close up, with the benefit of touch, these things feel so fickle and insubstantial on their pathetically inadequate stands, you have to ask yourself - why don't they just make them properly? They really should - they'd be that much better for it, I'm sure.

I'm not out to upset Maggie owners. I just think the above statement is entirely justified.

Quite agree... first thing any Maggie owner should do after (or during) speaker acquisition is contact Mye Stands and get a pair ordered up asap. Extremely well made and engineered. A must have!

Quite agree... first thing any Maggie owner should do after (or during) speaker acquisition is contact Mye Stands and get a pair ordered up asap. Extremely well made and engineered. A must have!

Thing is - it isn't just the stands. I'm sure they'd fair better with much more substantial frames... anyway - that would add to cost/shipping etc and I'm sure they've thought about it and decided flimsy is the way to go!!

German Physiks time. A first time encounter for me. Obviously implementing an omni type speaker, though I'd say less well than MBL, from what I heard. Still, a chap from Brazil I was talking to in a taxi on the way to the show on the Sunday (the prescribed free show bus didn't show up so we had to np choice) loved this room. I can't say I did and it probably just needed some welly and decent music to get things going.

I liked the Brinkmann TT though. Nice piece of kit. I think it is a Balance, on balance:D.

Couldn't listen to the larger speaker - which is a shame as I bet it is good - it certainly looks the part. All I heard was the smallest speaker:(

Attachments

• SDC13323-qpr.jpg
    SDC13323-qpr.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 399
  • SDC13321-qpr.jpg
    SDC13321-qpr.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 400
  • SDC13322-qpr.jpg
    SDC13322-qpr.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 387
  • SDC13320-qpr.jpg
    SDC13320-qpr.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 393
  • SDC13324-qpr.jpg
    SDC13324-qpr.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Thing is - it isn't just the stands. I'm sure they'd fair better with much more substantial frames... anyway - that would add to cost/shipping etc and I'm sure they've thought about it and decided flimsy is the way to go!!

The Mye Stands incorporate steel arms that attach high up the back of the panel... essentially stiffening the entire panel-frame substantially... at least they worked wonders for my 3.6Rs.

Hm... a bit like selling a high performance car with an inadequate chassis that contorts significantly - until you buy a 3rd party solution???

Can't see Mercedes/Porsche get away with that. Why should Magnepan?

Justin, I used to know this, I think, but I've been away from Britishisms a long time......what is "welly"?

Omph.

In context, translate to volume.

Generically - force, push, drive. Comes from Wellington boot - as in good kick up the arse!!!!:)

Last edited:
Back