Munich Hi-End 2014 Hi-Fi Show Report

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These videos are getting blocked in some countries and I am getting copyright content warnings too.

Some bot is scanning the video's music content.

Anyway, Dan D'Agostino.

I love the looks of Dan's new gear. And I imagine the performance is top notch too.

great pics, Justin. Some drool worthy tube gear at the show, I see.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but the system in the pics really did sound pretty average by the show standards. If I was Dan I wouldn't have allowed it. Much better ways to show off his amps than that little demo.

For Tim, Auralic pics.

I have just got sooo much media it is ridiculous. Loads more pics. I think I'll just post the remaining lot in one go.

Last edited:
Definitely made me smile. And yes, a picture of the new Neolith would have been more apropos for the subject of the article. Fortunately, like with cars, watches, fine wine and other hobbies, we are living in a golden age of a lot of really great products available at reasonable prices too. High end sound, good wines, and great performing cars and watches are available for those of modest means.

Not a fan of the styling though. ARC is awesome without the need to channel McIntosh.......

Agreed. But then I've never been a fan of ARC's styling. Not sure that this is any worse than their previous efforts. Can't argue with the sound though.

I did visit that room. It is not possible to get am impression of a box unless you have something to compare with. That said, I don't like their dac which I have demoed in my system

Bonzo, I know you aren't a fan of the AURALiC gear from a prior post. I don't want to hijack Justin's thread so I'll go start a separate one because I'm interested in how most folks are utilizing their digital delivery, but I have to ask, how did you listen to the Vega in your system?

If you were just listening to 16/44.1 through AES/EBU or S/PDIF then I would agree that it certainly is only a "good" sounding DAC. Even with Hi-Rez material those inputs are limited to 24/192. You don't start to take advantage of the DAC unless you are running it via USB and adjusting the Femto clock to either Fine or Exact mode. Then you can hear what it's capable of with 32/348 PCM as well as 2.8224 and 5.6448MHz DSD. If you didn't utilize those capabilities then you haven't really "heard" it.

Bonzo, I know you aren't a fan of the AURALiC gear from a prior post. I don't want to hijack Justin's thread so I'll go start a separate one because I'm interested in how most folks are utilizing their digital delivery, but I have to ask, how did you listen to the Vega in your system?

If you were just listening to 16/44.1 through AES/EBU or S/PDIF then I would agree that it certainly is only a "good" sounding DAC. Even with Hi-Rez material those inputs are limited to 24/192. You don't start to take advantage of the DAC unless you are running it via USB and adjusting the Femto clock to either Fine or Exact mode. Then you can hear what it's capable of with 32/348 PCM as well as 2.8224 and 5.6448MHz DSD. If you didn't utilize those capabilities then you haven't really "heard" it.

I heard it in exact mode via usb, as you mentioned because that was what the dealer suggested

Anyway my point was you can't demo dacs or streamers in a show unless you can swap them out and out something in

I'm no fan of Vivid speakers, with the larger models I think I can hear colouration I really don't like from the funky looking cabinets - but this was definitely sounding alright. There's also a hit of "metallicness" from the metal drivers.

The CH Precision kit is lovely stuff.

Shame the Air Force One wasn't playing. Slideshow here.

Last edited:
Video sounded pretty good but that was about the worst song I have ever heard in my life! Woooow!!!

Is this any better? Slap bass Neolith style. I must admit the lighting really annoyed me. The only way to get decent light was to be within about a metre of them. Then you had to put the camera at a stupid angle. Hey ho.

Last edited:
Here's a very interesting and very good sounding dipole. You'll hear the sound vary close up as I move around but that's not surprising if you look at the size of the things and the arrangement of the drivers. Whether that's an NXT panel in the middle of the main speakers I don't know, I haven't looked them up.

From a good distance back they sounded very good I think. I liked them a lot.

Last edited:
Cool looking EMT preamp. Love to try that in my system for a while.

DSC00451

Back