More Lampizator comparison with a 100k dac and for classical

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
Here is a different post:

"Lampi GG is excellent. This is the best DAC I have ever had in my system. It is so musical. My music collection is 99% 16/44.1 as I have a large classical music collection. This DAC gives me great pleasure on PCM. Tube rollings will give different sound but basic sound character is the same. It is silky smooth with strong bass. GG simply has no weakness.

I tried Psvane 300B, Elrog 300B and Psvane 101D replica. I prefer 300B as they are very smooth and musical. Elrog 300B is very sweet. Violin and flute sound very natural with Elrog. But Elrog tubes have serious microphonics. May try EML 300b mesh later."

And then one, of course, from Audioshark - where BADA was the popular dac, but they have been shifting to Lampi. Started with the site owner Mike extremely negative on Lampi. So he was then sent a demo model to listen to. Since then, the forum has erupted in Lampi fever. He now has built up the largest collection of DHT tubes around. The Lampi was lent to him by his friend, who had the BADA. And now, another fellow site owner, Joeinid, who was waiting to receive the BADA, and had decided not to join the Lampi herd, now has both the Lampi amps and Lampi dac with his (Joey, are you listening) Sonus Faber Strads. Mike has the Strads as well

http://audioshark.org/lampizator-18...oe-you-famous-now-7642-page22.html#post132640
"I am not usually a classical music fan but have been blown away by what it sounds like through my Lampizator. There is something amazing going on and I absolutely love it. Now I am rotating though more and more classical, surprising myself and enjoying my system even more."

Audioshark and WBF are now Lampi besotted forums, loads of informative threads there

Meanwhile, Lukasz has had to put a factory and production line, and has recently sold 40 Big 7 and GG dacs combined. He was small till now, but this seems to be him taking off.

Last edited:
What is MVR? There isa guy there who owns the WE 300b (some go in auction for 10k for a pair), Elrog 300bs, EML mesh, all the replicas, and tons of recti

Mercury vapour rectifier. Good for supplying DC to railways when they are that big.

Electronluv have used small ones in audio amplifiers.

Have you heard a GG yet?

I tried but Rob had some technical problems with his transport. He managed to resolve them just after I left. So now have to go to Greg's at some point to listen to those plus his horns Universum III

Possible, but if it is Munich you are referring to I wouldn't use that experience. I.have to hear them outside of that

No thank you! I just converted my house to LED lighting, put in high efficiency dual fuel variable speed HVAC systems, and I'm getting ready to replace the downstairs fridge which is a bit of a current hog. I updated my 3 x 24" monitors on my desk to LED backlit displays and they don't heat up my office anymore.

My next amp will be Class D. I'm just waiting for the technology to mature a bit more.

The cool thing is that with Class D they can model the behavior of a tube amplifier near clipping and round off the wave forms. Theoretically a Class D amplifier could be modeled to sound like ANY amplifier almost exactly. So far they've got the tube amp clipping behavior figured out, the next question will be how much purity you want to Dial out to get that warm feeling. Personally I like mine perfectly neutral so it won't be an issue for me. A class D amp will have a starting point like a flawless cultured diamond and we will have the ability to add flaws into the sound to taste.

The problem is that no matter how far they get with this technology, the final product is efficient, light weight and runs cool. Many will turn their noses up at it because it isn't substantial enough in weight, impressive enough in size or generating heat like a furnace.

No thank you! I just converted my house to LED lighting, put in high efficiency dual fuel variable speed HVAC systems, and I'm getting ready to replace the downstairs fridge which is a bit of a current hog. I updated my 3 x 24" monitors on my desk to LED backlit displays and they don't heat up my office anymore.

You do realise that the colossal waste and landfill generated by disposing of perfectly servicable goods is doing far more damage to the planet than the miniscule additional power consumption ever will, right?

All the mining, smelting, manufacture, shipping and packaging is extraordinary. And usually with toxic chemicals/elements too.

And the expense generated is creating payback periods exceeding any reasonable life of the product.

You do realise that the colossal waste and landfill generated by disposing of perfectly servicable goods is doing far more damage to the planet than the miniscule additional power consumption ever will, right?

All the mining, smelting, manufacture, shipping and packaging is extraordinary. And usually with toxic chemicals/elements too.

And the expense generated is creating payback periods exceeding any reasonable life of the product.

My HVAC system was at the end of its life cycle. The AC units and my main furnace were becoming problematic. The materials were recycled.
Now my new system is not just reliable and a lot more efficient, but it is QUIET !!!! The blowers and compressors are variable speed. You can't hear the AC units outside unless you are very close to them and I almost never hear my blowers. They are frequently running very efficiently at low rpms.

For lighting incandescent bulbs have a fairly short lifespan. LED bulbs are forever in many applications. In addition in my office I have changed to brighter Daylight bulbs.
Also in my theater room the dimmable bulbs are now silent where the incandescent bulbs made noise.

So I've reduced the time to deal with the maintenance of replacing bulbs and the inconvenience of dealing with my furnace or AC being down. Last year my main furnace went out 4 times!

The Refrigerator in the basement is probably costing me an extra $150 a year in electricity, but it is perfectly servicable. I wasn't planning to put it in the land fill. I was planning to find a home for it.

The same goes for my spare 24" 1920x1200 monitors. I'll find a tech guy who will give them a good home.

BTW I did the math and my LED lighting breaks even in 6 years well before the end of life. My HVAC system may not pay for itself, but I needed to buy a new one anyway and I paid a little more to not waste energy.

I understand your points though and there are many decisions made in the name of being eco-friendly that taken as a whole basically backfire.

FYI, the new refrigerator in my basement would pay for itself in about 3.5 years and as long as I give it a new home instead of putting it in the landfill, I don't think there is any harm done.

So what are your thought on replacing carpets in 80% of my home with hardwood or engineered hardwood flooring. Does the permanence of hardwood offset needing to tear the carpet up and replace it periodically? BTW I have 4 cats who are helping to wear the carpet out pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Back