Lampi vs Trinity and Totaldac USB vs Audioquest USB

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
So Elberoth on WBF forum (and computer audiophile), who owns Magico S5s, has both MSB 202 and Vitus monos for amps, also owned the uber expensive Trinity dac, which many prefer to Vivaldi, and recently bought the Lampi Big 7 with DSD only. He also has excellent room treatment, loads of diffusers which look beautiful http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?17009-Lampizator-Big-7

He told me that he had recently not been listening much to the Trinity, because while it did all the checkboxes (details, bass, etc) right, Lampi was more fun to listen to. When I compared both of them, for me it was a no contest. Lampi was better on all music. We played both native DSD and PCM upsampled as DSD through HQPlayer. Not only was it more musical, on orchestral I found it was clearly doing the hifi stuff better as well. It was much faster and had better slam on Mussorgsky's Gnomus (from Pictures). Bach's choral cantata was better. The only thing is on a couple of songs Trinity seemed more focus while the valves of the Lampi sounded wavy, like valves do.

The decay on lampi was better, probably a result of the fact that the Trinity still has SMPS.

We swapped the Audioquest diamond cable with the Totaldac cable on the Lampi. Audioquest gives a slight brightness, a silver sheen. Totaldac doesn't have that, and it is meatier on the bottom end. Overall I enjoyed the totaldac USB more, and while difference is not significant, given it's new price is only 300 EUR, at that price difference is quite significant.

We also had fun with SMT diffusers and MSB vs Vitus, so overall the trip to Warsaw was very productive and also listened to a ribbon speakers called Zeta Zeros.

I just like hardwired kit. Easier to maintain and play with. I seem to remember it being touted as better sounding. That may or may not be true, but now the reverse is being claimed.

It is just cost cutting IMHO.

I just like hardwired kit. Easier to maintain and play with. I seem to remember it being touted as better sounding. That may or may not be true, but now the reverse is being claimed.

I don't get what you are saying. So it was hard wired before, and is not now? He has changed that? For me to understand you need to write what it was before, and what are you saying has changed with the PCB

Justin, I remember hardwired being touted as always better-sounding, in general terms. But if you remember, a while ago Joey posted a picture of the underside of something made by Cary, which was hardwired, and I couldn't help but wonder how you maintain it. It seemed that getting a soldering iron in there is fraught with problems as you could melt the insulation off other wires in attempting to do so.

On a PCB you wouldn't have such problems, except that from personal experience you can easily destroy PCB pads when replacing components. Another problem with PCBs is that you can spend endless time worrying about if you got the layout right, and end up making changes with each iteration.

Definitely about cost cutting.

Justin, I remember hardwired being touted as always better-sounding, in general terms. But if you remember, a while ago Joey posted a picture of the underside of something made by Cary, which was hardwired, and I couldn't help but wonder how you maintain it. It seemed that getting a soldering iron in there is fraught with problems as you could melt the insulation off other wires in attempting to do so.

On a PCB you wouldn't have such problems, except that from personal experience you can easily destroy PCB pads when replacing components. Another problem with PCBs is that you can spend endless time worrying about if you got the layout right, and end up making changes with each iteration.

Definitely about cost cutting.

So you guys think the older models should sound better, rest remaining the same?

Replacing tube sockets can bust tracks esp. if you didn't realise the PCB is double sided, Bernard. Been there, done that:D

Lamp 7 hardwired looks easy to mess with it is huge - wiring density is low. My 211s look easy too. My Scott 350B tuner is a freakin' birds nest, however.

Replacing tube sockets can bust tracks esp. if you didn't realise the PCB is double sided, Bernard. Been there, done that:D

Lamp 7 hardwired looks easy to mess with it is huge - wiring density is low. My 211s look easy too. My Scott 350B tuner is a freakin' birds nest, however.
When I met a Roberto recently, he gave me a gift of a desoldering tool that combines a soldering iron with a bulb-type solder sucker. He demonstrated to me that it does a good job of desoldering double-sided PCBs.

I haven't used it yet, but will shortly, to replace RCA sockets on my MDAC. Waiting for delivery of miniature Torx screwdrivers, needed to open up the MDAC. This is the first time I've seen Torx used on audio equipment.

So u tellin' me u don't know the difference between a PCB and hardwired? C'mon...

I didn't know he had changed, now read up on some threads. Also don't know why it makes a difference.

I didn't know he had changed, now read up on some threads. Also don't know why it makes a difference.
There can even be differences between PCBs, which depends upon the routing of the tracks, their size, etc.

I will sell only if I can upgrade to Lampi golden gate cheaply (not even sure I need to) or if I decide to exit hifi temporarily.
I just googled Golden Gate - 14,000 euros, but you and Justin should be able to get a good deal, I imagine, being very faithful customers.

On the Lampizator site they mention that they use the most expensive components available, but does that necessarily mean that they are the best? Or is some of that snake oil?

Back