Monster Powered Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Before I push the play button: "yeah, these are great
but panels can't really rock out...".

I used to believe the same, and after getting the SL3s my opinion didn't change.
....Until I did extensive research and room interventions optimising the acoustics.
Now the second 'helper' set of box speakers I've got next to the logans is almost obsolete. I only use them for extremely loud rock pieces, most of the time they are switched off.
Big amps and lots of absorbtion behind the panels did most of the trick.:rocker:

I'm trying to convince my electrician to install some dedicated power circuits. It's something I've intended to do for a couple of years now. However, its a difficult wall to run a wire through.

I'll the local Martin Logan Tampa Bay Area Chapter over for group review once I get the Nemo's setup and everything readjusted. I've found that others can point out characteristics or improvement areas that I may have not realized. We've talking about having an area round-robin listening day again since all of our systems have changed since the last time we did that.

Apparently, these amps were designed specifically for the power hungry B&W 800D Nautilus speakers. Hence the name "Nemo" after Captain Nemo which drove and directed the Nautilus.

Well, since I already have a dedicated 20A line, and Summits, I'll be more than happy to "store" those Nemo's for you until your room is ready. Just bring 'em over (along with your Wadia 581se), and I promise to crank them up a couple hours a day to keep them fresh! :D

Lookin' forward to the next Tampa round-robin listening session!

Getting back to the OP's question. I'm currently running a Belles 350A Reference with my Summits... rated 250 W into 8 Ohms, 500 W into 4 Ohms, with 64A peak current. They can also be run as monoblocks with 1000 W into 8 Ohms! Unlike some of the other monster amps listed, the Belles is fairly compact, and boring to look at, but it won't give you a hernia, doesn't double as a furnace, yet still delivers the goods. Only caveat is the 350A reference has VERY LITTLE internal protection circuitry (hence a simpler, cleaner signal path), so if inadvertently fed a DC surge from pre-amp or source (as I found out) it can blow!

I have heard good things about the Belles. It is big on the East coast.

Back