Monster Powered Amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threshold Stasis 2

I have been using the Threshold 300 Stasis II for quite some time. Lots of authority and you cannot beat the price point on this equipment.

Last edited:
Sunfire

Wow page 2 and still no mention of one the best bang for the buck high powered SS amps that deliver the current the ML's need: Sunfire.

Any of the Signature series or the new TGAx400 units qualifies as a good match for the ESL's.

I use 12 channels worth (5x800@4 + 5x200@8 + 2x300@8) of Sunfire amps in my rig and have very little desire to shop.

The only other amp that is even close to tempting me is the Sanders amp.

I'll test drive one of those when and if I'm ready to pull the trigger, but it has to be noticeably better or it goes back.

THAT is a thing of absolute beauty..... and I'm sure it sounds as sweet as it looks.

I love my X250.. :music:

Thanks! Before I purchased the X350.5 I listened to a friends X250.5 and notice how it sounded so beautiful and did some research on the amp that I was convinced this Pass amp would be a great match up for the Logans.

When I took my Summits out of the theater setup and created a dedicated 2 channel rig, I decided I wanted "big amp" sound so I sought out and located a pair of NOS Aragon Palladium 1K. I actually went thru 2 pair of used Pals before finding the NOS. At 4 ohms they are 600 wpc. Needless to say the overall soundstage is very large and effortless with incredible dynamics.

I'm currently (or was until it recently smoked an output transitor last week) running my Ascents w/a JS modded 250wpc Threshold S/500 II.

This amp controls the Ascents a/authority (I run a Velodyn DD-12 for deep bass). Bass is rich and full at any volume and the panels sing. There is no replacement for_quality_power

I've got a Threshold 400A (100wpc Class A) coming this weekend to sub for the wounded S/500 as I send it back to JS for repair.

Once it comes back, I'm planning to bi-amp the S/500 to the woofers and run the 400A to the panels. Should be interesting to say the least~!!

Well dang, I forgot the Ascents are 4 ohms so I'm actually driving them w/500 watts per channel.

Wow page 2 and still no mention of one the best bang for the buck high powered SS amps that deliver the current the ML's need: Sunfire.

Any of the Signature series or the new TGAx400 units qualifies as a good match for the ESL's.

I use 12 channels worth (5x800@4 + 5x200@8 + 2x300@8) of Sunfire amps in my rig and have very little desire to shop.

I have to agree on the bang for the buck, with the Sunfire amps. At retail they are a very good value, at used prices they are some of the best value out there.

I'll test drive one of those when and if I'm ready to pull the trigger, but it has to be noticeably better or it goes back.

I was using a Sunfire Symphonic Reference with my Summits, Replaced it with a Sander's 2ch ESL amplifier and it was quite noticeably better, I do not think you will be disappointed, especially with the newly treated room. I liked the upgrade so well that I pulled the trigger on a 3 ESL mono blocks, and they are better yet. I now have 5 channels of Sanders amps and 2 channels of Sunfire. But I could immediately tell the difference between the Sunfire and the Sanders on both the Summits and the Scripts.

--burke

see page 1 Sunfire Signature Architects II.... great amp:rocker:

I am using a Rowland 8T on my Summits. It is now the oldest piece of equipment I use (save my now nearly twenty year old VPI 19 and my 22 year old Magnum FT-101) but until I hear something better or it breaks it still tugs my ears and my heart.

I still love my BAT VK-6200 with 4 channels bi-amping my ReQuests at 400Wpc into 4 Ohms. With that kind of output and weighing in at almost 200lbs., I'd say it qualifies as a monster amp!

Attachments

• VK6200.jpg
    VK6200.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

I totally agree on the Sunfire amps being one of the best values in muscle amps. And whats really cool about them is that you have 12 channels of 200watts or more each and they all run very cool. That's cool! I use a Sunfire II for my HT and its pushing 220 watts X 5. I've also used the 4 channels to biamp Odysseys in a 2 channel setup. It works well and has serving me for a few years now without a hiccup. We'll I did have to change a lightbulb once but that doesn't really count.

I was wondering if anyone has auditioned any high-powered SS amps (>=250 wpc) with the Logans. To me personally, it is hard to beat the dynamics of a high powered amp, even with the new generation Logans.

I agree that all Logans, even the newer models, sound great with quality high-powered solid-state amps. I am running a Pass Labs X350.5 on my Ascents, the Sanders Sound ESL monoblocs on my Summits, and the Sunfire TG 5400 on my multi-channel speakers (Stage, Clarities, and Frescos).

As far as I'm concerned, the high-powered solid state amps outperform the tube amps with Martin Logan speakers, especially in terms of neutrality, high frequency extension, solidity of bass, and overall dynamics. Thus, I have a CJ Premier 140 (a great tube amp in its own right) sitting idle waiting for a different system to be placed into.

My FPB 300C really makes the Quest sing. Its a big un too.

Attachments

• S6301606 (Small).JPG
    S6301606 (Small).JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 590
Hello,
I absolutely agree with using a high powered amp with any/all Logans. I have used a Parasound HCA-3500 for years and love it. I have used this amp on Aerius i's previously and Vantages now. Certainly not the prettiest date to the Prom, but, offers an amazing amount of current for not much money.
Cheers,
Mark

nemo_inside.jpg
Pretty soon I'll be working a pair of these into my system to drive the Summits. If 600 watts don't make them sing from top to bottom then I'm going back to the 24 watt SET tube amp setup.

These things are going to take up some floor space. The Electrocompaniet amps I've used run cool and hopefully these will too. Finally, I'll get to hear what some powerful finesse will sound like.

Last edited:
Hey, I don't think your pic is big enough. I can't see the molecular structure of the faceplate material.

LOL :haha1:

But hey, Big Amp requires Big Picture ;)

Craig, that's a beast, would love to hear it on your Summits. Look forward to the report.

Hmmm, Nemo, spelled backwards is Omen. Wonder if it's good or bad? :D

I'll be watching for a "brownout" in Tampa when he first turns them on.

I'm trying to convince my electrician to install some dedicated power circuits. It's something I've intended to do for a couple of years now. However, its a difficult wall to run a wire through.

I'll the local Martin Logan Tampa Bay Area Chapter over for group review once I get the Nemo's setup and everything readjusted. I've found that others can point out characteristics or improvement areas that I may have not realized. We've talking about having an area round-robin listening day again since all of our systems have changed since the last time we did that.

Apparently, these amps were designed specifically for the power hungry B&W 800D Nautilus speakers. Hence the name "Nemo" after Captain Nemo which drove and directed the Nautilus.

Im certainly in the "power is your friend" camp.

Everyone that has ever been to my place makes the
same two comments...

Before I push the play button: "yeah, these are great
but panels can't really rock out..."

1 minute into the demo: "wow, I've never heard
panels with this kind of dynamics, these rock!"

Happened again today.

Back