Martin Logan - Super Systems... Seeing / Hearing is Believing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a Statement E2 home theater setup I saw on a website for a NC dealer/installer. Pretty sweet setup...

I just noticed this one - is that a pair of Descents I see in use?

Why the heck would you use those when you had Statement sub towers??

So do you just go to peoples homes and take pics of their ML systems? Inquiring minds want to know....

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff....If you were a ML fanatic like most of us. You would realize that the picture post above is from an Audiogon ad. I check the gon way way way to often......

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff....If you were a ML fanatic like most of us. You would realize that the picture post above is from an Audiogon ad. I check the gon way way way to often......

Yeah, I guess with a pair of CLX's, Spires, Summit X's, Purities and a borrowed pair of regular Summits, I'm not a fanatic...

:)

Lovely Country...

Good to see you around again, your presence is missed.

I was out in your neighborhood last week of March. Beautiful country, spent a day or two trying to figure out how to move there. Hopefully we can meet up for dinner or drinks next time the wife and I are out.

--burke

:DI totally agree. It is good to hear that you had a good time. Spring is a fine time in the Bay area. It is great to be here... :D

I can only wish ...and dream.

So do you just go to peoples homes and take pics of their ML systems? Inquiring minds want to know....

Jeff,

I wish I could go into peoples homes and snap a few photos of their ML Super Systems but alas Kruppy is quite correct - Audiogon. :DI find most of my photos from the web, usually when I am lusting after or dreaming of ML Super Systems. I know it sounds kinda pitiful but I just enjoy see what other ML owners have done with their systems... I think I'll always love the sounds ML speakers convey to my ears. Roberto is right trust your ears but I like the looks and the differences or the similarities of each and every different ML system I discover.:music:

Hi Robin,

What kind of set up are you using for your solo gigs? Also, did your son go for the Mesa Boogie amp?

I got a new upright bass from Upton. There are two photos of my bass on the Upton Bass site. Look at the Upton UB Deluxe Tiger Swing. That bass is in my living room.

Jeff,

I'm still waiting for that Spire review! ha, ha. I'm sooo close now I can almost taste them. Also, Maybe around Christmastime you'll be ready to upgrade your beat up, ooold Manley Massive Passive. j/k. :)

Satch

Cool - CLX Systems...

:music:IMHO ~ CLX speakers look super cool in red...:D

Wouldn't you agree? :music:

Attachments

• CLX System.jpg
    CLX System.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,732
  • CLX - Red.jpg
    CLX - Red.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,591
Beautiful Red CLX Speakers...

:devil:Lush Red CLX speakers look stunning. :devil:

I want a pair... :ROFL:

Attachments

• ML CLX close-up.jpg
    ML CLX close-up.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • CLX - Red.jpg
    CLX - Red.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,386
  • David Zell - CLX.jpg
    David Zell - CLX.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 3,077
Hi Robin,

What kind of set up are you using for your solo gigs? Also, did your son go for the Mesa Boogie amp?

I got a new upright bass from Upton. There are two photos of my bass on the Upton Bass site. Look at the Upton UB Deluxe Tiger Swing. That bass is in my living room.

Jeff,

I'm still waiting for that Spire review! ha, ha. I'm sooo close now I can almost taste them. Also, Maybe around Christmastime you'll be ready to upgrade your beat up, ooold Manley Massive Passive. j/k. :)

Satch

But what would I upgrade the Massive Passive to? :)

Spire review shortly. We changed the format and will be releasing it as one of our new "long term test" reviews...

Been very interesting comparing them to the CLX and Summit X. Summit X review coming shortly too. That should stir up a whole bunch of debate!

You need one! They are awesome!

Talk to EveAnna Manley, sometimes they have b-stock!
She's a cool cat, she'll help you out.

Jeff, do you use the equalizer all the time? I'm assuming you use it to correct a room deficiency? Or is it on a per musical selection basis?

Those CLXs are just drop dead gorgeous but I don’t care for the Class D amps powering them. I rather see a pair of Pass Labs XA200.5 powering them instead. Nothing like Class A perfection. :bowdown:

Jeff, do you use the equalizer all the time? I'm assuming you use it to correct a room deficiency? Or is it on a per musical selection basis?

I only switch it in on records I love that sound lousy. The little bit of a bump in my room was easily corrected with the descent i controls and careful subwoofer placement.

The Massive definitely injects a bit of overall warmth to the presentation and a slight lack of ultimate resolution, but on a lot of crappy rock recordings from the 70's (which I have a lot of...) where you love the music but wish you could clean up the sound a little bit, it's a trade I'll happily make every time.

Another point about the Manley that is so awesome is that many times the difference between a $500 "Hot Stamper" and a $12 record store find (or even a $3 record store find) is a db or two here or there.

Granted the Massive can not fix compression, but even in an overly compressed recording the sonic signature of the Massive gives those records and CD's a more pleasing overall sound, at least to me.

Perfect records, I leave it switched out of the system. With my ACT2, I used to use the External Processor Loop and with the Burmester, I just use the tape monitor.

Even some of the recent remasters of many of our favorite recordings sound a little off to me, often too hot, but the surfaces are clean and quiet. Again, this is a simple fix and with the mastering version having resettable click stops, you can drop a little card or post it into the album jacket and go back to where you were in a jiffy.

So, when people are spending big bucks on really rare records, this can be a great answer for someone who just enjoys music and doesn't really require the collectable aspect of vinyl.

Of all the tweaks I've tried, this one is by far the most useful on a daily basis. I'm even going as far as to "remaster" some of my favorites on LP and burn them to CD for use in the Sooloos and it's worked out really well.

Thanks Jeff,

I was talking to a guy who is transferring digitally recorded band tracks to (analog) tape for final mix down. Mostly for demo cd's. He said was getting good results for reasons that are way over my head. Anyway, I suggested putting the M.M.P. in the mix. I'm just a fool (period) for analog. :D

There's a lot of ways to make use of it besides bringing a little more life into over-compressed cd'. I'd like to use it for studying bass lines on old recordings as well as perking up flat sounding cd's.

I started saving up for Spires about the same time you posted the photo of the Spires in your driveway. Manley Massive Passive and a good rebuilt reel to reel will have to wait a while...

Satch

Latest posts

Back