Martin Logan Aerius and JRDG M1 amplifier

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2312

Reaction score
Hi,

a friend of mine, which is very expert in audio components, suggested me the Consonance/M1 pair for my Aerius and he said that it is ideal for my loudspeakers. Due to the low output power, however, I am afraid of the possibility that frequent clipping of the M1 occurs when sound peaks. Unfortunately, I was not able to test these components with the Aerius.

Has someone driven the Aerius using the Jeff Rowland M1 amp?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Luca

Low output power? This is the rating, which should be lots of power:

60 watts RMS continuous, 8 ohms
120 watts RMS continuous, 4 ohms
215 watts RMS continuous, 2 ohms

Going by Bernard's specs - that amp should have plenty of power unless you're trying to achieve disco levels in a large room.

Tom provided a link to Martin Logan's product timeline page. http://www.martinlogan.com/learn/product_museum.php

The sensitivity of the Aerius is: 89dB/2.83 volts/meter

So assuming a primarily 8 ohm load, you'll get a maximum SPL of 89 + (10*log(60)) = 107 dB at 1 meter(!) as the amp produces 60W into 8 ohms.

Assuming a primarily 4 ohm load, you'll get a maximum SPL of 89 + (10*log(120)) = 110 dB at 1 meter as the produces 120W into 4 ohms.

Assuming a primarily 2 ohm load, you'll get a maximum SPL of 89 + (10*log(215)) = 112 dB at 1 meter as the produces 215W into 2 ohms.

Either way, SPL levels of 107 to 112 dB at 1m (3.3feet) are insane to begin with and very damaging to your hearing. Also remember these are the nominal ratings for the amplifier and do not include the peak power ratings of the amp into each respective load. These peaks will produce even higher SPL specs than the ones given above depending on the amplifier headroom.

ML typical rates their loudspeakers as 4 ohms so you'll experience continous SPL of 110dB and higher with the extra headroom the amp has. As i said before, these are insanely lould levels which are damaging to your hearing, let alone agitating the neighbors all over the place. So yes, the amp should be enough for you assuming you do not have a ball room as a listening room.

- David

I agree the amps should be fine. However:

Either way, SPL levels of 107 to 112 dB at 1m (3.3feet) are insane to begin with

.......it's worth noting that music is not constant. It is dynamic. Listening at a more reasonable 70dB could easily see peaks beyond 110dB - a 40dB dynamic range is even achievable with vinyl and cassette tape, let alone digital formats. Although it may not be common on all recordings, it is possible.

And it is the peaks/transients where most amps run into trouble.

Thank you for your answers!

I finally bought a Model 1 and it sounds fantastic with the Aerius! Now I have to choose a preamplifier, as "its" JRDG Consonance seems a little too "quite". Someone suggested me to search for the JRDG Synergy, the ARC LS2B MkI or the old Classe' DR6 MkI. As Aerius are "quick" loudspeakers, I don't want to decrease their performance.

Ciao.

Luca

Back