Help...noise from one Aerius panel!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2312

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a pair of Aerius (first version) from 1992 with original panels. It seems to me that the panels play very well despite their age. When the sound goes loud, however, rarely with music and more often with motion pictures sound tracks (e.g. during explosions), the panel of one loudspeaker shows some noise like it is frying in hot oil...

May someone please suggest me what to do? I don't think that this noise is due to the age of the panel, but I am non expert.

Thank you very much.

Luca

Could be a number of things. Your amp could be clipping, the panels could be very dusty, the power supply could have a problem. Are you sure it is the panel and not the woofer?

I think that it is the panel (perhaps the lower half); I heard it at short distance.

I have changed the right and the left channels by inverting the interconnect cables and I still had the noise from the same loudspeaker; consequently, I thought that the amplifier is not involved.

I have used a vacuum cleaner as suggested by many forumers and the panels look like clear (they were apparently clean also when I bought them).

If the power supply has a problem, it should make noise when playing loud only? How can I verify it?

Thank you.

Luca

Switching the interconnects is not enough to rule out the amp. Have you switched the speaker cables aswell? If after this the noise is still coming from the same speaker, you should perhaps try to play the music with which you have this noise on repeat, and listen very carefully with you ear right next to the panel. If the noise comes from only one height, there might be a single bit of dirt on the panel. I once had this problem.
If this is the case, try to put a sheet of white paper on the panel and hold a flash light behind it. This makes it more easy to see if there really is some dirt. If there is, try to vacuum or use something like a toothpick to clean it. Very carefully...

Hola Luca. I believe that what you are doing is clipping the amp. Because the ML panels are totally different than conventional cone speakers, we think that they are not playing too loud, but they do are. Just bring down a little bit the volume level, and listen if the noise goes away. Swap the bad speaker and listen if you have the same problem at the same channel, or the speaker. Movies have a lot of special sound effects that are not into music. Happy listening.

This may be pretty basic, but I had a similar problem.

The power cord was loose - all I had to do was push it in the whole way.

Back