Solid state ARC and Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2312

Reaction score
Hi,

has someone driven the Aerius using LS12+100.2 Audio Research amplifiers?

A friend of mine suggested me to search the LS22 and to leave the LS12, but my best audio experience with the Aerius was obtained using full-ss amplifiers.

What do you think about these components?

Which amplification do you suggest for the Aerius?

Thank you.

Regards.

Luca

Last edited:
Really no answers? I'm interested in your experiences using also LS3 + 100.2 with the Aerius.

Ciao.

Luca

Luca,

Chances are no one has any direct experience with that amp.

Also, the "which amp to buy" question has been thoroughly discussed.

You may want to try the search feature for some insight.

Regarding SS vs tubes and ML's, there is no clear consensus, at least not on this forum.

Good luck.

GG

Luca,

I agree with the suggestion on amp research from Gordon, an abundance of experience resides in past threads. I expected others to come forward with experiences with the 100.2, which I thought was a popular choice. I am not familiar with the LS12 and LS3 with this amp.

Many years ago at my local dealer, I went through an evaluation process to put together my first serious system. Limited to the component brands on hand, the ARC 100.2 was in my opinion the best partner for the Aerius I's. Looking at a budget and personal preferences, I felt the LS16 was an appropriate line stage. The brands included in the search were Classe, Mark Levinson and one other. The tube amp reference was an ARC VT100. Transparent and Tara Labs cabling. ARC, Arcam and Mark Levinson digital front ends.

Throughout the time I had the amp, I thought it was perfectly suited to the needs of the Aerius and allowed the speaker to perform impressively. I often wish I still had it and the speakers. Good luck.

Luca,

I had a 100.2 mated to a LS15 tube preamp for about a year or so driving my SL3's. The 100.2 replaced a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature. The 100.2 had a bit more drive and dynamics compared to the Sunfire despite the difference in power. I made the switch to the 100.2 for obvious synergy with my LS15.

I sold the 100.2 simply because I thought it wasn't very musical sounding in my system. It could very well have been a room acoustic problem as the reason for the lack of a balanced sound. I really wanted to keep the 100.2 but decided to try a tube amp instead. I picked up a pair of Audio Electronic Supply Sixpacs and placed a pair of GIK acoustic absorbers behind the speakers and I really like the sound. I wish I would have tried the absorbers with the 100.2 in the system. May have sounded really good. I also plan to bi-amp my SL3's in the near future with the Sixpacs on the panels and solid state on the woofers.

I did have a LS3 preamp mated to the Sunfire amp but not the 100.2. It's a really good preamp.

Hope this helps

Thank You. I searched for the answer to my question in past threads of this forum, but I did not find it. I'll search for it better.

Back