Made the switch to silver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
For the past few months I have had a chance to run a few different CAST cables. For those of you who do not know what CAST is , its a proprietary IC method used by Krell that transfers the audio signal in the CURRENT mode at a very high bandwidth. I Was using a set of Transparent CAST cables that were very detailed. They were a copper design. They presented a stage that was much deeper and wider than the XLR. They had a smooth sound to them. several who were at the get together heard them and commented on the depth of sound stage.

Upon a referral I decided to try Krell's Silver CAST cable. I was skeptical at first as I have heard silver in systems and most of the time It wasn't for me. My first listen with these was WOW this is GOOD! They are much more detailed than the Copper Transparent. They have a sound that only can be described as BETTER!
Funny thing is it was a ,"just try them" type of referral. If someone said Silver would have sounded better I would have doubted them from past experience. This I can tell you they have found a home for now! In this is a case the story ends with a SILVER lining !

Yeah, C.A.P. - I would have doubted it too. I bought some expensive pure silver ICs a good while ago. Decided I prefered copper, so I sold it. Actually, my fave IC is some Teac stuff that was given to me FREE with an amp purchase years ago. No idea how much it cost. It doesn't LOOK expensive, however... but IT WORKS! Hell, what if it is silver inside:D?

Glad you found some great synergy... enjoy.

The only all silver cables I have ever heard, that I liked, was the DH Labs Revelation IC. All other silver sounded more detailed in the beginning but turned into fatiguing in the long haul.

The only all silver cables I have ever heard, that I liked, was the DH Labs Revelation IC. All other silver sounded more detailed in the beginning but turned into fatiguing in the long haul.

That is my concern. So far I have not gotten that ! Time will tell.

For many years, I have used the pure silver Generation 2 Siltech interconnect cables. I keep them at the CD->Pre->Power Amps level and have always stood by them [see avatar]. To date, I have found nothing that resolves "inner detail" as well as silver. By that I mean the rasp of a bowed instrument, the chirp of fresh guitar strings, the "thuk" that occurs a instant a single note is keyed on a piano when the hammer starts to move forward.

I find that silver is about equal to copper in soundstage, imaging and overall coherence. From the bottom to the top, a good silver cable gives away nothing to a good copper one. They aren't the best if you have a bright or etchy system (CAP, yours is not). Silver can exaggerate the screeching or ringing of el-cheapo electronics.

But provided that you have made a commitment to quality throughout your system, silver can be a real winner. But as always -- spend as much time with them that you can to be sure you truly love them before you lay out the big bucks to own them.

Try out a set of silver speaker wire someday too. Who knows....

~VDR

Silver - copper - enter the HYBRID:D I know Nordost is a bit popular and therefore boring, but I use their speaker cables and ICs, and I think they are great. The speaker cable impresses me the most, though it is old hat Red Dawn Rev 2 from ebay - 4x 2.5 metre lengths for bi-wire. Brilliant stuff. Really made a massive difference to the SQ of my system. The IC is actually the same as the speaker cable - but it just doesn't make the profound difference that the speaker cable does. Interesting. And I'd take the all copper (I think!) Teac IC over the Red Dawn. But it would take a lot for me to drop the Red Dawn in the speaker cable context. It's all madness, really.

Last edited:
Nordost actually makes the newest Silver CAST cable for Krell. I may look into some Speaker cables for demo ! It would definitely be a audio "who would have thunk it" for me, if they sound better!

The only 2 cents I can put in is that one of my first experiences that drew me towards hi-fi was when I was 14 or 15 and walked into the store that I now work at and they had the B&W Silver Signature speakers on demo. And even though they were playing some jazz music, which at that time in my life, I had no interest in whatsoever, something just kept me glued in that seat. And every time I wandered in over the next year or so, I had to go listen.

Over the years, I have since listened to other Silver Sigs, and Sig. 30s. and the magic is still there with the proper gear upstream. Thats all I know. I have heard other B&W speakers, and the signature "british" sound just doesnt do it for me most of the time. But those Silver ones are something else.

On a side note, interesting about your love of the CAST. When we first signed on as a Wilson dealer, John from Wilson was in to set up things properly for the Watt Puppy 7.1. We had a pair of Krell FPB350 monoblocks and a KCT and KP28. We had it hooked up with both XLR and CAST at the time. We placed the speakers and did the setup with the CAST in place. John insisted something just wasnt quite there.....he asked what we were using...and asked us to switch it all to XLR. We did, and you know? There was a definite improvement. Everyone in the room was rather awed at this. There was a larger soundstage....things blended better...a bit more sparkle on the high end....and more "slam" in the bass. Now these are mostly subjective differences, but everyone that was there, including John, agreed that it sounded "better" with XLR cables. We switched back and forth a few more times with different source material to confirm.

Just an observation, as the CAST philosophy is a solid one and makes perfect sense to me. :)

Bah, I won't be happy until my cables are solid gold! Are there any pure gold cables out there? Would you be able to make flexible gold cables?

Yes, but you wouldn't want to. Gold has a higher resistance than copper and silver.

Bah, I won't be happy until my cables are solid gold! Are there any pure gold cables out there? Would you be able to make flexible gold cables?

Silver is the highest conductor of electricity, number two being copper, and number three gold.

Most of the industry uses gold to plate the connectors only because gold doesn't corrode like silver or copper. Audioquest and a few other cable company's do offer silver plated connectors but they need to be polished from time to time.

The only 2 cents I can put in is that one of my first experiences that drew me towards hi-fi was when I was 14 or 15 and walked into the store that I now work at and they had the B&W Silver Signature speakers on demo. And even though they were playing some jazz music, which at that time in my life, I had no interest in whatsoever, something just kept me glued in that seat. And every time I wandered in over the next year or so, I had to go listen.

Over the years, I have since listened to other Silver Sigs, and Sig. 30s. and the magic is still there with the proper gear upstream. Thats all I know. I have heard other B&W speakers, and the signature "british" sound just doesnt do it for me most of the time. But those Silver ones are something else.

On a side note, interesting about your love of the CAST. When we first signed on as a Wilson dealer, John from Wilson was in to set up things properly for the Watt Puppy 7.1. We had a pair of Krell FPB350 monoblocks and a KCT and KP28. We had it hooked up with both XLR and CAST at the time. We placed the speakers and did the setup with the CAST in place. John insisted something just wasnt quite there.....he asked what we were using...and asked us to switch it all to XLR. We did, and you know? There was a definite improvement. Everyone in the room was rather awed at this. There was a larger soundstage....things blended better...a bit more sparkle on the high end....and more "slam" in the bass. Now these are mostly subjective differences, but everyone that was there, including John, agreed that it sounded "better" with XLR cables. We switched back and forth a few more times with different source material to confirm.

Just an observation, as the CAST philosophy is a solid one and makes perfect sense to me. :)

I have never heard the Silver B&W. I do like a good monitor though.

As for the CAST I can only say with what my system has done with them. Maybe the CLS bring out the best in CAST! It took a stage and made it 2 feet deeper, and a lot more detailed. The Silver ones are even better. Original Krell CAST was just a copper design that was not the best. That is why I went with Transparent at first. Then these THINER Silver ones from Krell. Im waiting on trying the MMF from Nordost .

The drive to achieve sonic nirvana is strong. I spent some time today working on getting a deeper soundstage out of my Logans, thanks to you and your rig...

But what I would hate to see happen is that you spring for the silver CAST cables, then decide to order new panels from ML someday soon. Your sonic balance (the new panels - especially ClearSpars - are louder, more efficient and a bit hotter on the upper end of the audible spectrum) could shift to point that you regret the silver cables.

This scenario is unlikely considering the quality of your components, but should be kept in the back of your mind.

My 2 cents....

Take care.

~VDR

Last edited:
Thanks for the concern

The replacement panels for the CLS are not clear spar tech. Mine are replacement panels . They can't make the larger panels with clear spars. Its something about the thickness of the spar. I looked into it.
Don't grt me wrong if I feel they are not performing

I will go back to copper.........You know me Ill change more than a 13 year old girl

Yes there are, KCI Kool Cables. Made of 24kt gold. I've got two pairs if you want them. 1 pair in RCA and one in XLR...

PM me if you are interested...

They sound a bit on the warm side, a little romantic. Good detail...

I've got several Vacuum State interconnects.

What can I say ... this is the best interconnect I have ever had in my system. Got them as a kit - if you can try some of these, do it. You won't be disappointed. And the prices are very sensible - in any case more than worth a good look.

And yes, it is silver.

Esoteric interconnects and speaker wire are just that... esoteric. One should never assume that silver or gold-enhanced wire is actually better than copper. Not only is it not scientifically born out, it is often not monetarily worth the difference.

That being said, silver has a "sound" associated with it that resonates throughout the audiophile community. It is crisper and more immediate in the bass department -- almost always a good thing. And silver can be more revealing in the vocal range when it is synergistically (is that a word ?) applied in a system. But it comes with a downside as well. Improperly applied, silver wires can sound too "forward" or "brilliant". Thus: Tread carefully here......

Personal note: I have a set of Signal Cable Silver Resolution with silver bullet RCA's driving my Depth recently. The upgrade from 1990's-era TaraLabs RSC copper was a good one. Deep bass notes "launch" out of the Depth in a more compelling way now. But those cables didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

CAST technology cables are a new and fantastic thing... And likely pricey even at the entry-level today. I truly hope that this technology will "trickle down" to us non-Krell guys at some point (although my amps were designed by Dan D'Agostino). CAST just might be the future.... I hope to take part in it, silver lining or no. The writting on the wall says that voltage-based interconnection is a thing of the past.

This would be a good topic for debate. If only more people had this technology at their disposal...:bowdown:

~VDR

Last edited:

Agreed. My first venture in silver based on Jason's recommend. Thanks again Jason. Have nothing but positive things to say.

GG

Esoteric interconnects and speaker wire are just that... esoteric. One should never assume that silver or gold-enhanced wire is actually better than copper. Not only is it not scientifically born out, it is often not monetarily worth the difference.This is VERY true!

That being said, silver has a "sound" associated with it that resonates throughout the audiophile community. It is crisper and more immediate in the bass department -- almost always a good thing. And silver can be more revealing in the vocal range when it is synergistically (is that a word ?) applied in a system. But it comes with a downside as well. Improperly applied, silver wires can sound too "forward" or "brilliant". Thus: Tread carefully here......I would not have thought it to be better in mine. However; I do believe the Current signal transfer has a lot to do with it !

Personal note: I have a set of Signal Cable Silver Resolution with silver bullet RCA's driving my Depth recently. The upgrade from 1990's-era TaraLabs RSC copper was a good one. Deep bass notes "launch" out of the Depth in a more compelling way now. But those cables didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

CAST technology cables are a new and fantastic thing... And likely pricey even at the entry-level today. I truly hope that this technology will "trickle down" to us non-Krell guys at some point (although my amps were designed by Dan D'Agostino). CAST just might be the future.... I hope to take part in it, silver lining or no. The writting on the wall says that voltage-based interconnection is a thing of the past.

This would be a good topic for debate. If only more people had this technology at their disposal...:bowdown:

~VDR

I do believe that CAST done right is better in some systems. It can reveal things regular voltage connections cant. That being said Its always a comparison. As Audiophalic stated. They set up a complete system and it sounded off to them. Was it actually off ? I feel the XLR can give a BLOOM kind of sound that can be construed as more open when in reality its less detailed. Remember this is all speculation as I have no real proof except my own system. This I can tell you for sure XLR fully balanced is far superior than RCA. The CAST is a Balanced signal !

As for cost, CAST is a cheap cable considering the top line ones sell for about $1000 for a 1 meter pair. You can find the Krell copper ones now for under $200 if you shop. The Silver ones run about $350.00 on AGON and the new MMF are about $900 . The Transparent copper ones were $900.00 . I think CAST was Dan's attempt to refute the cable companies , ever wonder why Krell amps went to non removable power cords for a while !

The CAST technology is proprietary to KRELL. Will it stay that way? Who knows ! Dan D'Agostino has helped a lot of other companies and has designed a lot of gear we would not even know he did.

Back