If you had to choose a NON planar speaker, what would it be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all in my sig, Justin, 'though I'm not using the subs.

Am using Tapatallk so no obvious sig.

So what is the amp config? All nCore power amps? Or is there an A21 in there too?

I thought the Sanders were 2 way - so what is their actual config?

Speakers are not Sanders, but Emerald Physics CS 2.3 Mk II, active-tri-amped by:
  • Sanders ESL Amp - 2x15" Woofs
  • Parasound A23 - 12" coax Mid
  • nCore Monos - CD Tweet

Whole thing driven by a Trinnov MC 8, which manages 8 channels of gain and delay adjustment, X-over freq and filters, and SoTA time and frequency correction - among other things.

choice

I would chose the B&W 802D's in piano black I think they are one of the best box loud speaker's around!

Speakers are not Sanders, but Emerald Physics CS 2.3 Mk II, active-tri-amped by:
  • Sanders ESL Amp - 2x15" Woofs
  • Parasound A23 - 12" coax Mid
  • nCore Monos - CD Tweet

Whole thing driven by a Trinnov MC 8, which manages 8 channels of gain and delay adjustment, X-over freq and filters, and SoTA time and frequency correction - among other things.

Hi Ken, that's uber-slick. Can you please point me to some more posts of yours on the setup, that MC 8 looks intriguing, as I'd need all sixteen outputs to handle my rig. Expansion via MADI for future 3D audio (like Atmos) is nice.

Hi Ken, that's uber-slick. Can you please point me to some more posts of yours on the setup, that MC 8 looks intriguing, as I'd need all sixteen outputs to handle my rig. Expansion via MADI for future 3D audio (like Atmos) is nice.
Hi Jonathan,

The approach is so foreign to most folks here, I've posted next to nothing about it - What would you like to know?

Ken, those Emerald CS2.3 MK II you pointed out really seem interesting………………..

Ken, those Emerald CS2.3 MK II you pointed out really seem interesting………………..
You really have to hear them to appreciate just how remarkable they can be, Dave. Walter (EP's owner) routinely attends all of T.H.E. Shows, as well as RMAF.

I do recommend that they be run fully active, though this can be done far more inexpensively than the route I've taken, using MiniDSP, DEQX, Xilica, etc.

Depending on funds a pair of quint amped Orions with the new woofers and tweaked x/o's.
The Emeralds are great too.
Bill, Orion's are three-ways, and you'll want to ditch the passives if you plan to multi-amp. Personally, I'm keen to hear Linkwitz' new 521 model - four-way, new drivers, new baffle, etc.

Hi Jonathan,

The approach is so foreign to most folks here, I've posted next to nothing about it - What would you like to know?

Hi Ken, I started a thread over in the Digital sub-forum so you and I, as well anyone else with an interest in state-of-the-art signal chains can discuss this in depth. Please join me over here: The fully digital front end for active speakers

A buddy of mine (who I don't want to p/o) by posting pix did exactly that,, is a architect and wood worker
you would not recognize his Orions done in a Stickly fashion to match his living room, with Siggys blessings.

This is a good Orion implementation: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14153-Silverstone-(Whittlebury)-UK-Hi-Fi-Show-2012&p=151992&viewfull=1#post151992. Quite a few people I know have liked it when they've heard them. Pricey, but nicely done.
Purty. Wonder what Siegfried would make of the cylindrical edge pieces, though. If they adversely affect edge diffraction, they're problematic.

Aesthetically nice (zippy veneers, etc.), commercially-built Orions sell, here, for a bit north of $20K.

Mezzo 1 from Mordant Short. It has its own chamber for the aluminium tweeter. The fit and finish are excellent for a $800/pair speaker.

Back