If you had to choose a NON planar speaker, what would it be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to hear some YG speakers.
My comment was in general not directed at YG
I came to the conclusion years ago I don't believe anything a marketing or sales person says is true just because they say so.

I am gonna jump in here. I was introduced to a composer who is very fussy about correct sound that had the YG'S and got rid of them for a pair of Soundlabs 945'S. After setup and playing some of his material He quitely murmered I am very pleased. I feel that spending R&D on a new material to make a plain jane dynamic driver is not so much of a step forward.
Espicially at those glitzy prices.

Bill,

Just because a "composer" chooses Speaker "A" over Speaker "B" is hardly conclusive evidence to support that "A" is better / more musical than "B" or vice versa.

Two entirely different technologies with entirely different sounds. And have you considered that maybe he didn't have the correct ancillary gear when he owned the YG's for them to perform at optimum?

I, for one, would never use anyone's judgement in my final purchase decision. Only your ears can tell you what you prefer.

"Plain Jane" dynamic driver? YG custom makes their drivers from solid blocks of aluminum.

Best,

Gordon

I may be buying a used pair of Kipod II Signatures with the powered woofer in the next couple of days.

May be crazy but...................

GG

The first few times I heard YG speakers, they drove me out of the room with their terrible sound. I couldn't stay and listen to what seemed to me a lot of high frequency distortion. The volume was loud and the distortion was painful. I heard some of that awful sound in a different room at RMAF, even though it wasn't played at such a loud volume. The next year, I didn't go to RMAF, but the next two years I did. I heard both a good sounding and a bad sounding YG system the first year back. This last year, the YG speakers I heard sounded marvelous. I don't know if it was improper setup/volume/source or what the first year, but I suppose the speakers were just improved over the years, to be the great speakers they are today.

I may be buying a used pair of Kipod II Signatures with the powered woofer in the next couple of days.

May be crazy but...................

GG

Wait, what? WTF???

For the record, I was with Steve (slowgeezr) when he heard them at RMAF the first time when they sounded awful and I haven't heard them since. Therefore, my opinion remains unchanged. ;) I have to agree with the composer, Gordon. I would take the Soundlabs any day over these ugly, harsh-sounding pieces of aluminum. Besides, you have a pair of awesome MBL's. What the hell are you doing looking to buy new speakers?

Gordon, as Steve and Rich said, that year when we were all together @ RMAF not only we they bad sounding, given the price point, they were God awful. Obviously you have heard things much different since then, hopefully they exceed the magic of your MBL's, which I suspect will take some doing !

Good luck with it, Gordon. I hope they sound awesome. But then, I know your bar is pretty high.

Off-topic, but is an empty room at a show a bad sign? A couple of years ago I walked into the Wilson room at the Montreal show, and there was no one in the room; there was some god-awful music playing to an empty room. I asked the guy there if he could play one of my CDs, and he declined, saying he could only play their pre-programmed music, but if I returned at 5pm, his manager would play my CD. I left immediately and did not return.

In contrast, the MBL room was full, and the rep was very accommodating when I asked about playing my CDs. I enjoyed the speakers, though perhaps not as much as the CLXes at Roberto's.

Well they didn't sound great at Munich 2011 but I did notice you getting a bit heated when I suggested as such, Gordon:) I hope they turn out to massage your particular ears well, though.

Anyway, my new Apogee speaker covers have made it to the paint shop. Not long now - maybe another 2-3 years... LOL.

Anyway, my new Apogee speaker covers have made it to the paint shop. Not long now - maybe another 2-3 years... LOL.

Geez, Justin. Your Apogee rebuild sounds kind of like my auto restoration. I've been waiting nine years for my Jag! The good news is it is almost finished and I should be driving it by the end of next month. Here's a picture for ya. image.jpg

Geez, Justin. Your Apogee rebuild sounds kind of like my auto restoration. I've been waiting nine years for my Jag! The good news is it is almost finished and I should be driving it by the end of next month. Here's a picture for ya. View attachment 16779

Sweet!!!!!

As a young man, I always hankered after a 150S. As I *cough* matured, I eventually realized that the 120 roadsters have way-o-way better lines.

Geez, Justin. Your Apogee rebuild sounds kind of like my auto restoration. I've been waiting nine years for my Jag! The good news is it is almost finished and I should be driving it by the end of next month. Here's a picture for ya.

What? A photo Rich? Are you feeling OK? Need a nurse or something?:ROFL:

Very nice, BTW. It is nice Jaguar is still going and they have made some nice cars in the past few years, IMHO.

Sweet!!!!!

As a young man, I always hankered after a 150S. As I *cough* matured, I eventually realized that the 120 roadsters have way-o-way better lines.

Yeah, I agree. The 120's and 140's have the most classic, beautiful lines. This one is a 1955 XK 140 OTS (open two-seater). Of this particular year and model, only about 368 were imported into the U.S.

Well they didn't sound great at Munich 2011 but I did notice you getting a bit heated when I suggested as such, Gordon:) I hope they turn out to massage your particular ears well, though.

Hi Justin,

My apologies if I came across the wrong way. My sense is that YG have improved considerably over the last couple of years and I'll be able to audition in my home. My main concern now is off axis performance.

I'll fill everyone in two months or so once I receive and listen to the product.

Good luck with your Apps. You are a very patient person.

Gordon

I think you'll be happy with the YG, though the off axis performance will more than likely be a lot different than with the mbls, IMO. I think properly set up mbls make an incredible soundstage.

Back