ICEpower versus ayre!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I thought I post this since not too many people on this site use these amps. Not a completely accurate impression since it was done not on ML speakers.

I was in NYC thurs, fri with my GF looking at rings, and then by accident walked by stereoexchange. First thing that caught my eye was the transparent cables that were bigger than my gardenhose. Went in and they had some really kool gears. First one I listened to was belcanto cd-2 to their pre3 and 1000watt mono blocks powering B&W 803 and then sonus faber cremona M, they used transparent cables, and richard grey power. The sound was very clear, effortless, but the staging was only in a very narrow space b/w the speakers, not even from speaker to speaker. Made them toe in the speakers and only helped alittle. I don't consider myself an audiophile, since I am just learning how to listen for these qualities and describe them but to quote my girl who knows nothing about audio, "They sounded small." and, she hates that;)

Then, she noticed they had ayre gears, only b/c I've reading their website and reviews of their gears nonstop the last several weeks, and she recognized the pictures. It was the v5-xe, k5-xe preamp and the ridiculously expansive universal player c5-xe. I thought their appearance based on the pictures looked plain, but in person, OMG, they looked so luxurious, beautifully smooth metal work. The speakers were totem acoustics wind, 1st time I've seen or heard of them, very odd looking fellows. Cables were again the insanely priced transparent. Popped in the same jazz cd of nina simone and others. Wow, I had to ask the salesperson which speakers were connected, I couldn't tell. Sound was behind the speakers, outside of them and between them. (I hope my ML can image like that) They were'nt louder than the bel canto, but at the same level, each note and the singer sounded real, like they are there. It was very koolll! I asked the sales person for a quote quietly, but then my girl walked within ear shot, I though, oh crap! But when she heard the 15large quote, she was like "I guess that's how much it cost to make music sounds this good."

Was wondering if anyone else have had expereince with either bel canto or other ice power gears and the ayre acoustics. thanks,

Last edited:
imaging

Bboy,
ML can certainly image amazingly. It is dependent on room, room placement, room treatment and system synergy (components, wiring, power conditioning, etc., interaction).

My sound stage goes from “in your face” to about 30 feet behind the wall that is behind the speakers. The lateral extension of the sound stage goes beyond the walls about 15 feet each way, left and right. There is vertical image of 8 to 10 feet.

Additionally, with some recording there is wrap-around. I hear acoustic events (music or foot fall or movement of something that occurred during the recording) outside and to the rear of the speakers and me. That portion of the image can be 3 or so feet behind me and out to the left or right 7 or 8 feet.

IMHO the most important factor is ROOM TREATMENT. It can be done very inexpensively. However, it does take some time and experimentation. And if it is done inexpensively it may not have the greatest WAF/SAF.

If you, as a good friend of mine does, like that diffuse image one gets from sitting at the back of an opera hall, set up can get you that, and apply that broad brush to most recordings.

If you prefer the pinpoint image of mini monitors (as I do) with the speed and accuracy of electrostatics, setup can get you that too. However, with this setup, the back of the hall perspective will only be there with recordings that are mic’ed that way.

Have fun in your search.:rocker:
Oh, and with the correct selections and the use of Audiogon you may not have to invest 15k to get there, although you may want to.:devil:

Bruce

Latest posts

Back