Hong Kong Hi-End Show 2008 Pics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hearty Thanks!!!!

User211,
This has been a fun thread, and thanks so much for taking the time to share.
I'm sure I could continue to view pics on this thread till times end.
Thanks again,
Doug - out

Hope everyone enjoyed the posts. It has been good to share it all. Next up is the London show, I suppose, including the CLX and the unique feature of a recording of them (madness - but hey!), if all turns out well.

great pictures. can i have your air miles??

User211,
This has been a fun thread, and thanks so much for taking the time to share.
I'm sure I could continue to view pics on this thread till times end.
Thanks again,
Doug - out

Cheers, Doug, it is comments like that that make it all worthwhile:)

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post all of these pics. :D

No probs - anyone got any favourite pics? That way I'll know what to look out for at the London show. If you do some Googling, you'll see who is on dem. I will keep any special requests in the back of my mind when I am there... but then again, if we have seen it before... goes without saying... I'll try not to take the same pics of the same gear again. But new pics of the same breed are fine...:)

Last edited:
No probs - anyone got any favourite pics? That way I'll know what to look out for at the London show. If you do some Googling, you'll see who is on dem. I will keep any special requests in the back of my mind when I am there...

Heck YES.....

ARC
Tube Technology
More of those ADAM speakers (I'm sure they'll be at London)
Avalons
EMM
and of course, the CLX!

Requests duly noted, amey01...

Just got November's Hi-FI News through today which covers the show. May I modestly state that you did a lot better here:)!

Anyway, it turns out that the Klipsch speaker featured earlier is a new one - the tri-wire, 99 dB, 4 ohm, 400W continuous/1600W peak Palladium P-39F. £13,700 or HK $200,000.

Oh, and to make the post more worthwhile, one that got away:D Brownie points if you know what any of it actually is:)

Get ready for the London show pics next weekend... I am looking forward to the CLX dem. Slow, I know, but everything comes to he who waits:)

Attachments

• wellwick.jpg
    wellwick.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Well, that is DEFINATELY it from the HK show. So we'll end it all with the banner that should possibly have introduced it.

Hope everyone enjoyed the posts. It has been good to share it all. Next up is the London show, I suppose, including the CLX and the unique feature of a recording of them (madness - but hey!), if all turns out well. However, I will have to attend on a Friday, and I won't have long - a couple of hours max. Other commitments force this, I am afraid.

Justin,

Thanks for the pictures, again. Can't wait to check out your next thread. Too bad your time is short - 2 hours may not be enough to fully explore the CLX itself. You definitely won't have enough time to borrow a super amp or 2 from another exhibitor and haul it over to the Martin Logan space to do true A/B comparisons. I hope you will be able to play a few of your own cd's on the CLX to appreciate its magic.

Looking forward to your next thread!

Best regards,
David

Agreed, great coverage of the show. Loved the pictures and looking forward to more of the same from the London show.

I should have a lot of help covering RMAF this year, you should collect the troops there in the UK to join you at the London show.

I think we do a better job of show coverage here than much of the mainstream press.

Bernard, David, Tim - thanks.

I have managed to wrangle 2pm to 6pm this coming Friday, making four hours in total. That SHOULD be enough to get a few pics in, I'd say. I have also finally read the manual for the camera, and this time the shots will be at a full ten meg resolution - this is good - it means I will be able to read any signs when I get back, but it also allows zooming in to particular components that may have been shot at a distance. The reason I didn't read it in HK was that it is on CD only, and the propect of reading it on the hotel PC didn't seem very appealing. I am so impressed with what £150 buys you in terms of camera these days. And the HD movies I shot in HK have to be seen to be believed for the money. My brother went out and bought one immediately after seeing them, and so has another friend. It's a Samsung NV24HD, BTW.

I am fully expecting the CLX demo to be thoroughly controlled, with seats, a booking ticket, and a long queue! This means playing my own CDs will be nigh on impossible, and to some extent, an imposition on everyone else. I'll just have to go with the flow.

Actually I'll qualify the camera resolution setting so I don't seem like too much of a dork. It WAS set to 10 meg in HK - but it turns out there is a sub-menu that allows normal, fine, and super fine settings. Super fine will give me the full 10 meg, I believe. The default was normal. I must admit I thought the files were smaller than I expected for a true 10 meg shot when I transfered them to the PC back at home.

Enough speculating - let's hope I get back with some enjoyable media!

Happy listening all!

Last edited:
Opps - missed this Unison Research P70 & P40. The P70 is a KT88 based amp with 70 Watts. So if you like that Murano glass facia, I think it'd drive a Vantage pretty well. This is a new(ish) model. It would have been even newer had I reported it at the time:D!

Once the tubes are lit, that Murano glass may look pretty cool...

Attachments

• urp70.jpg
    urp70.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 621
Last edited:
Unknown TT - posted purely for the tasty shot of the Wheaton Tri-Planar and for curiousity - does anyone know what the *%^$)!^!!! it is?

Attachments

• unknownTT.jpg
    unknownTT.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 695
Tasy, tasty, tasty... Halcro DM8 pre-amp. Very nice indeedy.

Power amp to follow - just gonna watch Lewis Hamilton win the world championship? Well, maybe...

Attachments

• halcrodm8.jpg
    halcrodm8.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 800
Yup - Lewis seems to have done the job - but a very strange ending indeed - why did that Toyota slow down so sharply?

Anyway - the DM38. I have heard these driving some French Cabasse speakers quite a few years ago. It sticks in my mind like yesterday. Damned impressive, to say the least. Cabasse speakers, at least the ones I heard, are extremely good. One of the very best systems I have ever heard. Solid state amps too... wow!

Attachments

• dm38.jpg
    dm38.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 610
Bringing this thread back to life is questionable - especially so long after the event. But I just found a few leftovers from a back up I made originally. I think I must have inadvertently deleted them.

Anyway, for the VPI guys around here - and for possibly even more dangerous amps than my own, I give you the Wavestreams... they look cool, but stay well clear after a few beers. The guy who has stacked up all that vinyl & CDs was risking his life each time he put a new album on! Unless, of course, he switched 'em off first. Not very daring, though!:D

Attachments

• vpiwave.jpg
    vpiwave.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Some Edge kit - which I have never heard, but it is pretty. G3 Integrated amp top left (bottom of pile) 115W x2. NL10.1 power amps bottom left 225 Watt x2. Sig. 1.1 preamp top right. NL12.1 bottom right 300W x2. Plenty of grunt, then.

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Bunch of Chinese dudes listening to some great drum soloing at good volume levels - presumably via the Naim HDX hard disk player you can see in the poster. I couldn't get anywhere near it, but is sounded stunning. Hence the crowd.

Naim - might not look too good but they do make some great sounding stuff.

Attachments

• naim.jpg
    naim.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 594
Back