Hong Kong Hi-End Show 2008 Pics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Case full of pretend "re-issue" tubes, including the Gold Lion KT88 - not heard any of them, I wonder how close to the originals they really are, sonically...

Attachments

• tubes.jpg
    tubes.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 398
Not sure what ANY of this is, though the amps say "Artemis Lake" on them...

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 391
Avalon loudspeakers - a Martin Colloms favourite... I heard them once powered by a CJ 350 - unimpressed to say the least... sorry Martin, not one of my faves. I remember walking in an out of the room at various times, thinking "why does that sound so ordinary?".

That's all for now... tis an old hat show now anyway, I guess...

Attachments

• avalon.jpg
    avalon.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 395
Avalon loudspeakers - a Martin Colloms favourite... I heard them once powered by a CJ 350 - unimpressed to say the least... sorry Martin, not one of my faves. I remember walking in an out of the room at various times, thinking "why does that sound so ordinary?".

That's all for now... tis an old hat show now anyway, I guess...

Avalons are my absolute fave! Many get close, but these are one of the ONLY speakers for which I would exchange my 'Logans........but I've only heard the Eidolon Diamond. I'd like to hear the Indra and Sentinel!!

Avalons are my absolute fave! Many get close, but these are one of the ONLY speakers for which I would exchange my 'Logans........but I've only heard the Eidolon Diamond. I'd like to hear the Indra and Sentinel!!

I'm with you Amey. When properly set up the Avalon's sound like really good stat's, but with the very best qualities of great dynamic speakers - mostly a real visceral foundation with the speed and imaging capabilities that represent the best of both. User211, if you were unimpressed with the Avalons I'd suspect that they weren't very well set up. In the next year or so I'm likely to have either the Indra's (the one on the right above with the dual woofers) or the CLX - only time and auditioning will tell.

MITT and amey01 - that's cool - if you like them, explore them... if you really like them, buy them! Very expensive, though...

Me? I am going nuts thinking about the Analysis Omegas I heard a few years ago... we've got a good chap over here who does Apogee refurbs, courtesy of Graz, Australia. So I am hoping that they better the Omegas.

I am battling with the idea of trying to run a renovated pair of Duetta Sigs, with Graz drivers, losing my MLs Ascents to do the refurb, trying to run them via my 211s but accepting this is probably impractical, and risking the quite high cost of a viable amp alternative.

Am I mad? Yes... and all this at a time when my Tri-Vista SACD transport has gone haywire, with no obtainable transport replacement, as Philips produced only a short run of the best laser transport ever made. Why do I say this? Because it played SACD, DVD-A, DVD soundtracks, and CDs with such musicality... and was the only transport produced that didn't downgrade SACD output to 16 bit b*llsh*t. If you have an SACD player that doesn't use this transport, YOU ARE LISTENING at CD resolution... and that means all other players:eek:

Also, my Ortofon MC5000 needs a re-tip.

What a hobby...

Crisis? What crisis? And no, I am not a Supertramp fan...:D Then again, they did do some good tracks...:)

Last edited:
I'm also with Amey and Tim, the Avalon Sentinels we listened to last year @ Acoustic Sounds were the finest imaging and soundstage speakers I have heard to date. But at a price point I can only dream about which further strenghtens the level of performance of our M/L's !!

Last edited:
Hm, including Martin, that seems to be four against one. Make that five - here's a lonesome Chinese admirer checking out what is attached to the Indras...

Playing Yehudi Menuhin via a Project turntable, and a Jeff Rowland, needless to say it didn't catch my ear. Not the world's best picture, but I thought I'd post it because there is obviously a fan base out there:)! Neepers blow them away...

Attachments

• avalonindra.jpg
    avalonindra.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I'm also with Amey and Tim, the Avalon Sentinels we listened to last year @ Acoustic Sounds were the finest imaging and soundstage speakers I have heard to date. But at a price point I can only dream about which further strenghtens the level of performance of our M/L's !!

Dave - I have just checked out the Sentinel - it looks like a SERIOUS speaker indeed. I have not heard it. My remarks refer to the Eidelon and the Indra. I am sure it is possible that they are both very good, with the right material and partnering equipment - all I am really saying is with what I have heard being played on them, in less than ideal show conditions, they have, for me, been unimpressive.

Think I have managed to talk myself out of the Apogee idea today... phew!

Last edited:
MITT and amey01 - that's cool - if you like them, explore them... if you really like them, buy them! Very expensive, though...

Me? I am going nuts thinking about the Analysis Omegas I heard a few years ago... we've got a good chap over here who does Apogee refurbs, courtesy of Graz, Australia. So I am hoping that they better the Omegas.

I am battling with the idea of trying to run a renovated pair of Duetta Sigs, with Graz drivers, losing my MLs Ascents to do the refurb, trying to run them via my 211s but accepting this is probably impractical, and risking the quite high cost of a viable amp alternative.

Am I mad? Yes... and all this at a time when my Tri-Vista SACD transport has gone haywire, with no obtainable transport replacement, as Philips produced only a short run of the best laser transport ever made. Why do I say this? Because it played SACD, DVD-A, DVD soundtracks, and CDs with such musicality... and was the only transport produced that didn't downgrade SACD output to 16 bit b*llsh*t. If you have an SACD player that doesn't use this transport, YOU ARE LISTENING at CD resolution... and that means all other players:eek:

Also, my Ortofon MC5000 needs a re-tip.

What a hobby...

Crisis? What crisis? And no, I am not a Supertramp fan...:D Then again, they did do some good tracks...:)

I think you are a little bit confused on your tech info.

The transport doesn't effect how the SACD signal is handled, it's all of the electronics following it. There are quite a few players out there that don't downgrade SACD resolution to 16 bit, Ayre, C-J, Luxman and Esoteric just to name a few.....

I think you are a little bit confused on your tech info.

The transport doesn't effect how the SACD signal is handled, it's all of the electronics following it. There are quite a few players out there that don't downgrade SACD resolution to 16 bit, Ayre, C-J, Luxman and Esoteric just to name a few.....

Jeff, I was talking to John yesterday at (link withheld, for confidential reasons, after further thought!). He worked for MF for years... maybe I got him wrong, but basically I thought he was saying that the transport was the only one that output a normal 16 bit output through one path and the SACD bitstream through another dedicated output. Whilst I thought it was unlikely, I believed him... or maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick... but I didn't - that IS what he said!

Actually, the more I think about what he was saying, the less credibility I attach to it... notice I said it plays DVD audio disks - well, I really do NOT think it does, thought it definately DOES play DVD Video audio tracks, which I'd told him. He'd stated that it was a generic transport that does DVD audio too.

Anyway, he thinks the laser servo related silicon has gone in a lot of Tri-Vista mechs due to over-heating over a long period of time. Certainly disks come out of the player in a VERY warm state.

What I would have thought SHOULD happen is that a "bitstream" just comes out of ANY transport, but an SACD stream will just be faster. Any downstream electronics e.g DACs will either need to be told the speed, or be able to deduce it from the signals behaviour, and process it accordingly... I am not sure what the protocol information is in these signals e.g. RS232 has start and stop bits, and other computer comms protocols have differing packet formats e.g USB, 1553B etc. I am not sure I need to know, however, and if I did, Google would surely tell me!

Jeff - here's a cool idea - PM Neeper and see if you can get a pair for review... you might be able to arrange something. I think you will be impressed...:)

Last edited:
The Zeus is loaded with the Genelex KT88 copy - anyone got any direct experience of these? I would have, but I ditched my Air Tight... I'd be very interested to know, anyone?
They're awesome!:rocker: I would be so bold as to say they sound BETTER than the originals. Very musical and punchy. They remind me of Amperex EL84s in that regard. Only a lot more power behind the sound........:D Well worth the price!

They're awesome!:rocker: I would be so bold as to say they sound BETTER than the originals. Very musical and punchy. They remind me of Amperex EL84s in that regard. Only a lot more power behind the sound........:D Well worth the price!

I'm really PLEASED by that, actually, cos it means a very good KT88 is available at a great price. That's great news for ARC owners etc etc...

OK here's some Swiss Soulution gear - for more info try http://www.soulution-audio.com/english/e_home.html. Nice clean lines (or boring boxes?) on the components, manufactured with the usual Swiss precision. The speakers don't seem to appear on the website, so I figure they must be new. Looks to be a bit of a Sonus Faber inspiration on those, looking at the cabinet sides and shape...

Definately top drawer stuff... the monos are not far off a KW into 4 Ohms. I can't report on the sound - they weren't playing when I was in there. I wish I had more time at the show... for instance to explore these, but the wife could only take so much of it. Oh well...

Of course there IS a possibility that the speakers aren't Soulutions, but they kind of look as though they must be... no additions? Your room acoustics will surely see to that!:)

Attachments

• soulution.jpg
    soulution.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
OK here's some Swiss Soulution gear... The speakers don't seem to appear on the website, so I figure they must be new. Looks to be a bit of a Sonus Faber inspiration on those, looking at the cabinet sides and shape...

Definately top drawer stuff...

These appear to be Eventus Audio speakers, and I don't believe they are top drawer stuff...

Some affordable Luxman gear - the D-N100 CD player comes in at HK $9,400 and the SQ-N100 EL84 based amp at HK $13,900. Quite nice, I think, and KK reviewed favourably in HFN.

Attachments

• luxman.jpg
    luxman.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 232
Back