Hong Kong Hi-End Show 2008 Pics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Melody is a relatively new name to the UK, but in fact the first incarnation of the company was formed in China in 1987, so they have "history", as it were! The current Melody Valve Hifi Pty is now an Australian company, albeit owned by a Chinese gentleman, and product is manufactured in China, hence the superb value for money of the products."

Thanks, Google & Walrus, exactly what I meant to say...:D This stuff started appearing on ebay (new) a while back at very competitive prices... but now seems to be dealer based for a whole lot more! Missed your chance if you didn't grab it then... the SP3 price here is certainly less than a UK dealer will sell for... but then that ISN'T surprising...

Attachments

• meolody.jpg
    meolody.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Would you Adam & Eve it? I didn't know what these speakers were until I just zoomed into the high res copy of this pic... never seen them before in my life, apart from when I walked into the room of course. I always seem to like speakers with ribbon tweeters.

So, ladies & gents, I present ADAM loudspeakers... with a link for more info.

http://home.snafu.de/adam-audio/professional/

Check out the Olympus on the link above... interesting looking beast! Excerpt:

"We proudly present a system consisting of eight columns, twelve built-in amplifiers, sixty (yes, 60!) individual drivers and a DSP “brain”. Due to the modular nature of the system, a variety of fascinating and comprehensive designs are possible. From the outset, the Olympus knew only one purpose: to realize a loudspeaker system that gets closer to perfection than any other."

Quick ref Olympus pic for the lazy: http://home.snafu.de/adam-audio/hifi/english/oss/pop_oss.htm

Starting to get towards the bottom of the picture barrel now, from the seemingly limitless supply... and way past the overkill marker:D Still the hit count keeps going up, so some of you must keep checking the posts:)

Is that room treatment on the rear wall?

Attachments

• quiz.jpg
    quiz.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Loads of Eichmann cables. http://www.eichmanncables.com/

I have some Nordost Red Dawn interconnects terminated with Eichmann bullets... they seem OK but can be a bit hard to get on/off.

If I had taken the pic the other way round, I'd know what each one was. At least in the high res version. I didn't, however. Lack of intelligence, I guess.:eek: I think I'll live, though. Maybe.

Attachments

• eichmanncables.jpg
    eichmanncables.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
From the Wilson room, we have a tastier pic of the Boulder / Jadis amplification. I really like the way that Boulder casing has been done. And I have never been a disliker of Jadis aesthetics, either. JA200s, JA500s - bring 'em on! And just cos I like them, here's an easy link http://www.jadis-electronics.com/ to let you drool over acres of tubes and chrome, lovingly presented as only the French know how...

The JA500 consumes 1000W per channel... not exactly green in this day and age! I can see the local nuclear reactor core straining each time they are fired up:D!

Attachments

• boulderjadis.jpg
    boulderjadis.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Starting to get towards the bottom of the picture barrel now, from the seemingly limitless supply... and way past the overkill marker:D Still the hit count keeps going up, so some of you must keep checking the posts:)

Is that room treatment on the rear wall?

User211 - If you post it, we will look.
Post until you drop, I know I'm enjoying the pics.

Thanks!

Would you Adam & Eve it? I didn't know what these speakers were until I just zoomed into the high res copy of this pic... never seen them before in my life, apart from when I walked into the room of course. I always seem to like speakers with ribbon tweeters.

So, ladies & gents, I present ADAM loudspeakers... with a link for more info....

Adam is a line of highly regarded professional studio monitors. Quite spendy, and loved by their owners.

the Olympus system is pretty impressive, as is its price tag (not listed, but surely north of six figures).

Still, I'd rather have a bevy of ML's...

It looks like a few electrostatic panels!

Yeah, JonFo has been in there... though his consultancy fee didn't cover the full X-Static Theatre treatment...

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, chaps - check back soon for more pics and literary drivel...:D

When you see speaker cable that looks as good as this, you almost DON'T CARE what is sounds like - it just looks the part. This is http://www.xloelectric.com//products/S3_5.4/S3_5.4.html?series=S3, and it isn't cheap.

To all you cable DIYers - does yours look this good? It might sound better and cost one tenth of these, but DOES IT LOOK THIS GOOD?:rocker:

Nope:( (he says, waiting for someone to prove him wrong).

Attachments

• xlo.jpg
    xlo.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Not quite the same, but if you want bling, just add some Gold, Silver, or another purdy color TechFlex over your cheap(er) cables. My Blue Jeans 10G speaker cables sound pretty darn good for only $0.90/ft. The Gold TechFlex didn't improve the sound, but gets high marks for WAF! :D

Attachments

• TechFlex.jpg
    TechFlex.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 277
Qualify? Link? Reviews etc?

Eventus Audio (as I am sure you will have found out by now) is an Italian manufacturer, and that speaker in the Hong Kong show appears to be this one http://www.eventusaudio.it/nebula/. I have only read a foreign review of the Phobos, about a year ago, and although the cabinet construction is top notch, the sound was OK, according to the reviewer.

Not quite the same, but if you want bling, just add some Gold, Silver, or another purdy color TechFlex over your cheap(er) cables. My Blue Jeans 10G speaker cables sound pretty darn good for only $0.90/ft. The Gold TechFlex didn't improve the sound, but gets high marks for WAF! :D

Ahhh - Techflex is the answer! Very nice looking it is too. Top tip for DIYers... or would that be BLINGers?:D

Thanks for your response, spectral. Looks like Sonus Faber are probably a better buy, then, and much better to look at, too, I think.

Anyway, Jeff Rowland again, this time the Capri S, which probably should have been featured with the power amp shown earlier. Nice lookin' pre. Let's face it - looks are the first point of contact, and it DOES sway people toward a particular product. Looks, as they say, are important!

Attachments

• jrcapris.jpg
    jrcapris.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 272
Pathos Inpol (left) and Logos amps, Endorphin and Digit (right) CD players. Never heard any of this stuff but it rarely gets anything less than good reviews. The amps to choose if you can't decide between tubes and solid state, I guess... though there are plenty of other options.

Really like the looks of the Endorphin - someone has at least try to break the mould here - though again, others do to. Good player according to Ken.

I've decided these manufacturers should pay me for the website links:D

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/

Attachments

• pathos1.jpg
    pathos1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 281
  • pathos2.jpg
    pathos2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 288
Least favourite looking amps of the show... what's with the blue displays? Hmmm... no link for these guys:D

Attachments

• canary.jpg
    canary.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 281
Big CAT amp featured earlier but at a distance. One HUGE tube amp. I think this is a JL3 - but I can't find the manufs. web site... and I won't include any other link. If you want to know anymore, try Google.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 281
Well, that is DEFINATELY it from the HK show. So we'll end it all with the banner that should possibly have introduced it.

Hope everyone enjoyed the posts. It has been good to share it all. Next up is the London show, I suppose, including the CLX and the unique feature of a recording of them (madness - but hey!), if all turns out well. However, I will have to attend on a Friday, and I won't have long - a couple of hours max. Other commitments force this, I am afraid.

Attachments

• banner.jpg
    banner.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 275
Big CAT amp featured earlier but at a distance. One HUGE tube amp. I think this is a JL3 - but I can't find the manufs. web site... and I won't include any other link. If you want to know anymore, try Google.

JL2 - the JL3 is the monobloc version. I am assuming there would have been two monster amps if it was the JL3. There is no CAT website but here is a link to a Soundstage review.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/cat_jl2_signature_mk2.htm

Kevin

Back