help me decide

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katwax

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new martin logan fan. I'm looking to buy some very good speakers and my wife and me are sold for ml's.
The question my budget let's me buy the next things:
First option - new source or purity
Second option - second hands aeon i's (from 2005)

Which option would be best?

Last edited:
Just my views on your options!

Hi,

I am new martin logan fan. I'm looking to buy some very good speakers and my wife and me are sold for ml's.
The question my budget let's me buy the next things:
First option - new source or purity
Second option - second hands aeon i's (from 2005)

Which option would be best?

It comes down to a few things:
1) Your available FUNDS
2) Listen to all your speaker options
3) Buy what you like best forget about what someone else says is better!
4) When listening please consider the follow:
a) room speakers are in!
b) amps and pre-amps used
5) quality of sources.... TT, dvd, cd, universal players, DACs, each of these really affect the sound, especially lack of true amp power or current.
6) Rooms the speakers are in, shape, size, wall treatments, etc.
7) consider what your room is like and your available sources, and remember you will more than likely have to upgrade your sources to get the best out of any ML speaker.

Here is my experience: I bought the sources first after hearing them side by side next to Claritys. I thought my budget was source and motif center. I brought home a pair of floor demo sources and motif. So I didnt have to wait the 100 hours for the break in period. The saounding great for what they were. The first thing I new is I had to update my amp, so out with the Denon Avr 3808ci and hello to a Nad M25 amp and Nad M15 pre-pro.

Now this really helped, but the small panel really limited the listening area for me and I wanted better. The sources are fine but ML designhed them and makes the panel but the woofer box and woofer are made in China. To me the bass integration with the panel was off. I took back the Sources and Motif and had my dealer order me Vistas and had never even heard them. My dealer really sucked, had nothing in stock so I talked to people at Ml and they said I would like the Vistas and they were right.

Now, my Vistas have continued to improve with every upgrade I did, better quality sacd player ( Marantz sa11s2) lexicon rt-20 and Denon 3930ci. started with the denon which sounded fantastic, but I wanted warmth, seperation and soundstage. I decided for multi-channel sacd and dvd-a use the Lexicon, warm sound, clean bass, wide soundstage, everthing where it should be. I use the Marantz for 2 channel sacd, call me crazy, but as soon as I changed my amps again, more power, the Vista just came alive, you wouldnt believe how good they sound and now i prefer 2 channel sacd. the seperation, blackness, wide sound stage, detail, its just fantastic.

Between the Sources, purity or >> AEON I, I say hands down go with the >>> AEON I <<< you will be so happy. Look at my system stats. I actually own 2 pairs of aeon I's, one set in my moms room for her and I have a set in my bedroom. You will just love the Aeon I's. The more power the better. The bass woofers really respond to clean current and power and become tight and strong. The esl will thank you and reward your effort with a lush and warm soundstage. The even have the Nac tweeter that you can turn on to help with odd shaped rooms or placement. The tend to fill in the messing sound better. I actaully run my Aeon I's with them off on high DB usage. If I plan to feed the alot of power and I cant hear myself breathe in my room i dont use it. But if I am doing serious moderate level listening or low level listening i turn theNAC on to help fill the room with sound. I personally think the Aeon I's are just so under rated. people spend 1500 to 200o usd on used clarity's and I scratch my head and ask why. I personally prefer the Aeon I's over the Clarity's having actually heard both side by side in my home. Doing an a-b test using same sources and power. I got both my Aeon I's used, first set dealer Demos for 1k and to me that was a great deal. I purchased my second set for 750 shipped to my door, from the original owner and he only had them for 6 months. He bought his ML dealers blow outs. When he bought them they were new in the box. I know this for a fact, i knew him and his wife when they bought them. The both lost their jobs and called me and offered me a deal I couldnt refuse!!

Hope this helps, of the 3 you have listed, my choice would be Aeon I's hands down!!!

Remember for any ML speaker that doesnt have a powered woofer, you need alot more current to get them to preform at their best and believe me you will be rewarded. I heard the Vantages before buying my Vistas, heard them the day I bought the Sources. My vies were they sound great in a HT set up due to the powered woofers. I loved the sound of the panel and new I would like the Vistas. My dealer even let me bring the Vantages home try A/b next to my Vistas to make sure i would be happy. the Vistas to "me" and thats important! To me they worked better for me, since i prefer audio or home theater. Everbody always wants the vantages and to me Vistas get over looked. I welcome any member to come hear my Vistas andthey will see. Just remember, >> BUY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!! <<<< :bowdown: If you and you wife like Puritys then thats your choice, forget what everyone else thinks. Your the one that uses them and comes home to them not your neighbors.

Hope this helps, I just cant say enough about ML speakers, If I had the money i would own atleast on pair of everything they make. Each model has its strengths and weakness and I love each for that. No models sound the same or look the same! Each model will warm you heart and give you years of joy and bring your deep emotions to the top.

Best Wishes, Mike

PS: Any spelling or Grammar errors, I am sorry but I do not have a spell check program or Ms Words were I am at. If I was home I would have replied in MS word and fixed any issue. So please forgive my typo's :eek:

Thx.
Well i only heard the purity so far but in passive mode with an amplifier attached. The dealer told me this would be very close to the sound of the source.
The budget leaves all 3 options open so that's not the problem.
Thing is that the source with a good amp would cost me more than the purity without an amp.
The aeon i's would cost me arround the same as a pair of purities because i would need to buy an amp.
So the most expensive would be to buy new sources + amp, sounds strange because they are the entrance level speakers :)

Will go and listen to the aeon i's, but didn't know if it would be good to put my time in it.

Jut my .2 euros. I like not having an internal amp. It gives you more options in the future. You can play with different amps and try different sounds. I have found amps make a difference in how good or how bad speakers sound. I know ML did a good job picking out amps for the Purities. However, it is a class D amp which is good but I don't think they are great. I will bet the Aeon i sound better with better bass. Again what it sounds like to you is most important.

Since you also need an amp then I would go with the internally amp'd Purity. This speaker will give you plenty of setup options as it can operate directly from a source component including an iPod. The better the source component the better it is going to sound.

I think this internally amped speaker will also operate from an external amplifier which will give you the best of both worlds.

I would lean towards the Aeons, or even a pair of similarly sized
Aerius i's.....get the bi-wired version and your options really open up. Used ML's tend to be well taken care of.

For your info there is a spell checker built into this little program we are using right now... Just look and you may find it... BTW it is also spelled TYPOS fyi not TYPO'S. Sorry, but it is hard to be taken seriously with basic spelling mistakes all over your posts

It comes down to a few things:
1) Your available FUNDS
2) Listen to all your speaker options
3) Buy what you like best forget about what someone else says is better!
4) When listening please consider the follow:
a) room speakers are in!
b) amps and pre-amps used
5) quality of sources.... TT, dvd, cd, universal players, DACs, each of these really affect the sound, especially lack of true amp power or current.
6) Rooms the speakers are in, shape, size, wall treatments, etc.
7) consider what your room is like and your available sources, and remember you will more than likely have to upgrade your sources to get the best out of any ML speaker.

Here is my experience: I bought the sources first after hearing them side by side next to Claritys. I thought my budget was source and motif center. I brought home a pair of floor demo sources and motif. So I didnt have to wait the 100 hours for the break in period. The saounding great for what they were. The first thing I new is I had to update my amp, so out with the Denon Avr 3808ci and hello to a Nad M25 amp and Nad M15 pre-pro.

Now this really helped, but the small panel really limited the listening area for me and I wanted better. The sources are fine but ML designhed them and makes the panel but the woofer box and woofer are made in China. To me the bass integration with the panel was off. I took back the Sources and Motif and had my dealer order me Vistas and had never even heard them. My dealer really sucked, had nothing in stock so I talked to people at Ml and they said I would like the Vistas and they were right.

Now, my Vistas have continued to improve with every upgrade I did, better quality sacd player ( Marantz sa11s2) lexicon rt-20 and Denon 3930ci. started with the denon which sounded fantastic, but I wanted warmth, seperation and soundstage. I decided for multi-channel sacd and dvd-a use the Lexicon, warm sound, clean bass, wide soundstage, everthing where it should be. I use the Marantz for 2 channel sacd, call me crazy, but as soon as I changed my amps again, more power, the Vista just came alive, you wouldnt believe how good they sound and now i prefer 2 channel sacd. the seperation, blackness, wide sound stage, detail, its just fantastic.

Between the Sources, purity or >> AEON I, I say hands down go with the >>> AEON I <<< you will be so happy. Look at my system stats. I actually own 2 pairs of aeon I's, one set in my moms room for her and I have a set in my bedroom. You will just love the Aeon I's. The more power the better. The bass woofers really respond to clean current and power and become tight and strong. The esl will thank you and reward your effort with a lush and warm soundstage. The even have the Nac tweeter that you can turn on to help with odd shaped rooms or placement. The tend to fill in the messing sound better. I actaully run my Aeon I's with them off on high DB usage. If I plan to feed the alot of power and I cant hear myself breathe in my room i dont use it. But if I am doing serious moderate level listening or low level listening i turn theNAC on to help fill the room with sound. I personally think the Aeon I's are just so under rated. people spend 1500 to 200o usd on used clarity's and I scratch my head and ask why. I personally prefer the Aeon I's over the Clarity's having actually heard both side by side in my home. Doing an a-b test using same sources and power. I got both my Aeon I's used, first set dealer Demos for 1k and to me that was a great deal. I purchased my second set for 750 shipped to my door, from the original owner and he only had them for 6 months. He bought his ML dealers blow outs. When he bought them they were new in the box. I know this for a fact, i knew him and his wife when they bought them. The both lost their jobs and called me and offered me a deal I couldnt refuse!!

Hope this helps, of the 3 you have listed, my choice would be Aeon I's hands down!!!

Remember for any ML speaker that doesnt have a powered woofer, you need alot more current to get them to preform at their best and believe me you will be rewarded. I heard the Vantages before buying my Vistas, heard them the day I bought the Sources. My vies were they sound great in a HT set up due to the powered woofers. I loved the sound of the panel and new I would like the Vistas. My dealer even let me bring the Vantages home try A/b next to my Vistas to make sure i would be happy. the Vistas to "me" and thats important! To me they worked better for me, since i prefer audio or home theater. Everbody always wants the vantages and to me Vistas get over looked. I welcome any member to come hear my Vistas andthey will see. Just remember, >> BUY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!!! <<<< :bowdown: If you and you wife like Puritys then thats your choice, forget what everyone else thinks. Your the one that uses them and comes home to them not your neighbors.

Hope this helps, I just cant say enough about ML speakers, If I had the money i would own atleast on pair of everything they make. Each model has its strengths and weakness and I love each for that. No models sound the same or look the same! Each model will warm you heart and give you years of joy and bring your deep emotions to the top.

Best Wishes, Mike

PS: Any spelling or Grammar errors, I am sorry but I do not have a spell check program or Ms Words were I am at. If I was home I would have replied in MS word and fixed any issue. So please forgive my typo's :eek:

For your info there is a spell checker built into this little program we are using right now... Just look and you may find it... BTW it is also spelled TYPOS fyi not TYPO'S. Sorry, but it is hard to be taken seriously with basic spelling mistakes all over your posts

In opera browser spell check is not available unless the plug ins are installed. You would know this if you actually took the time to check. I do not have the right to install plug ins on the hospital terminal, this is not my computer. Go here and look for yourself. http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/spellcheck/ Also you could install opera on your own personal computer and check. Wait, you wouldn't do that since you are just out to slander me every waking moment.

I have asked you kindly to stop your personal attacks. I have asked you to be a man and only insult me in the following manor. You can state your disdain of me via email, fax, text, and over the phone. You may also do it face to face, but that requires you to drive. You are 39 years old, and I have asked you as a man to stop with the insults towards me and lastly my family.

I have also stated I could provide proof of everything I have stated and yet you refuse and continue your personal attack on me. I can feel your hatred, and it saddens me to see that. We all come to this place for a reason, common interest in Audio and the love of Martin Logan speakers. I pitty you, that much hatred stored inside of you. I am asking again, nicely to please take the time and consider the affect your personal attacks have on people. I am asking for you to back off!

Thanks Mike

Back