First speaker audiogasm experience?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68-69 Infinity Servo Static's - Switiched on Bach:cool:

I'm gonna take back what I said in the other thread on this topic. The big Maggie's were my second 'gasm.

First was a pair of massive floor2ceiling horns and custom amps built by my brother's then roommate back in the mid 70s. It was the first time I ever saw an O'scope as well (the guy had started his own audio repair lab out of their apartment and later opend up his own shop in town - this was Bangor Maine). The guy was a phenominally talented engineer - he was also of the mindset that the apocolypse was "any day now". Not sure if he was worried about nukes or asteroids or what, but second to his obsession with audio was his obsession with world-wide oblivian.

That aside, his "stereo system" was absolutely beyond anything I'd ever seen, and most things I've seen since. This was a case where he really did blow the windows out of his house (well, broke three windows in the living room due to excessive LF SPLs). Oh, and did I mention that at normal levels, it sounded just excellent! (though honestly my audio memroy - like most people - is on the order of minutes, much less ~ 40 years)

The first one was Quad 57s. I'm older than Adam; no, not that Adam. I mean the one immediately above, in Oz.

It was a miraculous experience, in that the quartet was in front of me.

It would be with Quad 63 and those were equipped with Gradient dipole subs and Quad electronics.

Dahlquist DQ-10's with a RH Labs subwoofer at a friend's house. I had a pair of JBL L100 Centuries that I thought were the cat's meow...until I heard a real high-end system.

I'm older than Adam; no, not that Adam.

oh yes.......that 'Adam' too !!

anyways.......it was '78, a friend had those big 'ole Infinity speakers, he was bi-amping them, using the big GAS monoblocks on the bass towers

The original ML CLS heard at the "Audio Excellence" store in San Francisco circa 1983. They had me at "hello".

GG

The first one was Quad 57s. I'm older than Adam; no, not that Adam. I mean the one immediately above, in Oz.

It was a miraculous experience, in that the quartet was in front of me.

I much prefer these to 63s. A well set up restored '57 is just so impressive it beggars belief when you consider the decade from whence they came.

oh yes.......that 'Adam' too !!

anyways.......it was '78, a friend had those big 'ole Infinity speakers, he was bi-amping them, using the big GAS monoblocks on the bass towers

OK Now that we all Cheated on our first LOVES what was your second???

I much prefer these to 63s. A well set up restored '57 is just so impressive it beggars belief when you consider the decade from whence they came.

I recall hearing the 57's with a Shahinian Contra Bombarde bi amped not a great meld but what a sound

I only ever had a brief listen to the '63s, so I can't comment. In the store the '57s were attached to the ceiling, in the corners, supposedly the worst position for them, but they threw a phenomenal soundstage.

I bought them a week later (this was in 1978), but could never manage to get hem to sound as good in my much smaller room. I bought my SL3s in 2000, and have had much more luck with them. When I was selling my 57s my wife asked me if I was sure I wanted to part with them.

I guess between All of Us this could go on for ever. Thats a good thing I owned the 63's they were stunning most of my audiophile friends loved them
They too had a incredible see threw sound stage but not like the 57's

Probably going to sound a little lame but it was a pair Klipsh K-horns driven by a Crown amp and an Apt Holman Pre amp at Listen Up in Denver. Turntable was a Linn LP-12 and the music was Fresh Aire III. I was blown away! I still have a bit of a thing for K-Horns.

Probably going to sound a little lame but it was a pair Klipsh K-horns driven by a Crown amp and an Apt Holman Pre amp at Listen Up in Denver. Turntable was a Linn LP-12 and the music was Fresh Aire III. I was blown away! I still have a bit of a thing for K-Horns.

That's not lame. We've all heard low-end speakers too! Hey - it was Bose that got me into this hobby - I'm just lucky that the Bose dealer steered me to something better!

It's just that I wouldn't call my first Bose experience an "audiogasm" like the ESL-63s were!

July 1984. Big Maggies (?? model) driven by some unknown tube monoblocks, playing Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (full orchestral version). I was smitten, but it was four years before I could afford a decent setup.

OK Now that we all Cheated on our first LOVES what was your second???

Bill, it was a year later.....my own system ......... Dahlquist DQ-10's / Hafler power, Kenwood KD-500tt,SME, Grace f9e super

The Dayton-Wright (XG8?) speakers were marvels as well. I heard them in a store in Toronto when I was a student, and could not believe the eye-popping price.

Back