Ethan Winer may be on the verge of proving expensive interconnects don't matter.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my opinion. This is consistently across all CD's and my XM tuner. And it has happened as a result of installing the SR PC's. That's the only thing that has changed in my system.

Also, I'm confident my hearing hasn't gotten better.

It's quite a wonderful surprise.

Do you track your volume levels within 0.7 db? I do for every CD and listening to my XM tuner.

Can you install the old PC back and confirm it is the power cable causing this? It could also be an aging pot, slipped mechanism, etc.

I regularly go through stages of listening habits too - listen loud, listen softly, listen at night......they pass.

Last edited:
Adam,

I'm hearing the same thing each time I install an SR PC. Just installed my third last week and will be installing my final one (digital based filtration) in two weeks or so. More space, better separation, dimensionality, more "energy", less "noise", etc.

Have no reason to believe I have any kind of equipment malfunction.

If you are interested, the WBF Forum has a dedicated section on their website for Shunyata Research. I suspect you will find many folks who would agree with my assessments.

That was kinda the "kick in the pants" for me to explore this manufacturer.

And the results, for me, speak for themselves. I couldn't be happier with the outcome and although a bit pricey, their products and costs are substantially lower than comparative offerings from Nordost, MIT, Crystal Cable, Transparent, Kubala Sosana, etc.

I am not someone who buys gear just to have it. Each purchase I make is well considered before I jump in and buy or audition to buy. And I always buy used, demo, or sale if at all possible. Saved roughly 52% over list price. And the folks that sell these products are not allowed to sell below list unless given permission by SR to do so.

I must say that in my system and to my ears, this has been the most cost effective purchase (switching to SR products) on the money versus return / sonic improvement continuum.

Best,

Gordon

PS: My sincere apologies to Mark, the OP. I realize I've taken this thread off topic. This was not my intention. But when I get into RF heli hobby, I know the first person that I am going to call.

Last edited:
There are absolutely no apologies necessary.

You realize that suggesting someone go to a manufacturer's website to find people who agree that manufacturer has a good product is sort of like saying, I drank the Koolaid and if you go to Jamestown where the others are, they've all drunk the Koolaid too.

You may have heard the term false reality bubble, where a bunch of like minded and deluded people each reinforce each other's delusions.

Just because there is Fake science and unfounded reviews crowing about how good something is does not make it so.

I know you truly believe that you can hear a difference but there is nothing you can say that will make me believe that the earth is flat or that the earth doesn't orbit around the sun. To me this is a very simple truth that is indisputable.

You realize that suggesting someone go to a manufacturer's website to find people who agree that manufacturer has a good product is sort of like saying, I drank the Koolaid and if you go to Jamestown where the others are, they've all drunk the Koolaid too.

Mark,

This is not a manufacturer's website but is a "discussion forum" on the What's Best Forum website. There are probably a hundred or so of these individual forums on WBF. It is true that folks from the SR staff chime in from time to time to respond to user forum questions as they do on other forums on WBF including a forum on Martin Logan products. It is similar to what Peter Soderberg does for us from time to time but on a larger scale. What is unique about WBF is designers and manufacturers are encouraged to participate in the discussion when appropriate. I enjoy reading Nelson Pass and other well respected manufacturers / designers who provide their input and insight. There is little to no "grandstanding" but if a manufacturer does or makes unfounded claims, he / she generally pays a big price. And it is not pretty.

Please goto WBF to check it out but I guarantee that you will not like the site since it is based, in many ways, on subjective opinion. Something you believe is ferry dust and not supported by science. That was the main reason that Ethan Winer was banned from WBF several years ago. He was a constant source of conflict, got alot of folks pis**d off and offered little value to the majority of folks who regularly visit / post on the site. Yes, he did have his supporters but very few in number.

I don't where you are getting your information from but respectfully offer that you are mistaken. :cool:

Best,

Gordon

Ok ........like I really need to stir the pot some more, but you all know me ....... I can't help myself !

So this is for Gordon, Adam , Mark and anyone else to have fun with ............

http://www.psaudio.com/article/audio-myths/

I'm amazed to see an article by EW in Copper, as Paul McGowan does not seem to have a high opinion of him....in one of his daily "Paul's Posts" he sneered at EW claiming that you cannot tell the difference between a cheap capacitor and a more expensive one as it's easily demonstrated (in the right application, of course).

BTW, in Paul's article on building a music server, one of the requirements is:

"An excellent USB Cable. For my server is Used a JCat"

So Paul and EW obviously disagree on the subject ....... a JCat costs a few hundred dollars.

Dave, I'm just helping you stir the pot :)

You may have heard the term false reality bubble, where a bunch of like minded and deluded people each reinforce each other's delusions.

Hi Mark,

No I have not.

Maybe I am not as smart or educated as you are.

So now you are saying I am delusional because I disagree with you.

Gordon

Catholic..... Protestant.. Lutheran... Republican Democrat.. Atheist You will never change the belief of those who want to believe their view.. Arguing your point on the internet is like wrestling with a pig.. Only problem is sometimes others cant tell who is who.. Let this thread die!
Cable wars will be forever.. Your either subjective or Objective..

You want to use zip cord I could give a rats ass.. If I want to use $500 a foot cord then so be it.. I think your wrong and you think Im a fool. Who looses ...

I will close with .. HOW DID YOU KNOW YOU LIKED CHOCOLATE (OR WHATEVER YOU LIKE) UNLESS YOU TRY IT! NO ONE IS BORN WITH INSTANT KNOWLEDGE!
"Good Judgment Comes with Experience, But Experience Comes from Bad Judgment"

Bernard, I'm surprised to see EW publishing in Copper as well. In the article he dismisses any concern of Jitter because it's so quiet you can't hear it. PS Audio's own quite accomplished engineer, Ted Smith would disagree with him vehemently on the importance of minimizing jitter in the audio chain. Honestly, the more of EW's writings I read, the more I think he's an idiot who is convinced he is brilliant. Much like our current President.

Stir away gentlemen :)

I don't take any of this personally. We all have a very relative idea of what reality is. That is just part of being human.

This human is feeling a bit inebriated at the moment, but the wine was good, the company was better, and the night is not over!

Until tomorrow. May I not pay for this when I wake up!

Honestly, the more of EW's writings I read, the more I think he's an idiot who is convinced he is brilliant. Much like our current President.

Hey Rich, not nice to talk about TomDac that way ! ...... :devil:

Hi Mark,

No I have not.

Maybe I am not as smart or educated as you are.

So now you are saying I am delusional because I disagree with you.

Gordon

Gordon, I'll stand delusionally beside you if this is the case.

Mark, here is an early interview with Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research. Curious of your thoughts on his description of how his products came about and why they work.

http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/caelin/caelin.html

Guys, a word of advice...

No one in this thread is intentionally trying to personally insult anyone else. Everyone is just trying to express their ingrained viewpoints as best they can on a heated subject. Sometimes each of us will do so indelicately. And sometimes we all take an offhand generally derogatory remark as a personal insult. Let's not do that. Let's assume the best intentions from our fellow members and try to communicate our beliefs respectfully.

Ultimately, the objectivists think the subjectivists are deluding themselves. And the subjectivists think the objectivists' systems are so cheap and crappy that they couldn't hear the difference between an A.M. Transistor Radio and live acoustic music. And that's O.K. It's just a hobby and we are all here to have fun. So let's talk like a bunch of friends sitting around having a beer and not take any of it too personally or seriously.

and now back to our regularly-scheduled thread...

Thank you Brad. A first read for me.

Very interesting stuff.

PS: And Rich, when someone calls me delusional just because I have a different opinion, that's where the problem lies and an apology is clearly in order. But that takes integrity. We'll see.

Last edited:
Gordon, I'll stand delusionally beside you if this is the case.

Mark, here is an early interview with Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research. Curious of your thoughts on his description of how his products came about and why they work.

http://6moons.com/industryfeatures/caelin/caelin.html

I'm sorry, but Shunyata Research sells USB cables and crows about how much they help your music signal.

That alone tells me that they have no honor and are happy to fleece the public, and it COMPLETELY discredits anything else that they have to say.

If one of their products is complete BS, then it is likely that the other products are also complete BS.

The bottom line is that they have ZERO integrity.

You guys are confusing fake science babble with real science.

Last edited:
PS: And Rich, when someone calls me delusional just because I have a different opinion, that's where the problem lies and an apology is clearly in order. But that takes integrity. We'll see.

But that's the crux of it Gordon. He is correct, according to his understanding of reality. Because if Mark's view that wires do not and cannot make a difference is correct, then you are, in fact, deluding yourself. Mark's statement about delusion isn't a personal insult; it's just the logical conclusion to be drawn from his beliefs.

Just like, if our view that wires can and do make a difference is correct, then Mark is, in fact, deluding himself. Personally, I think he is and I don't think his system is sufficient for him to hear any differences even if he tried. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just the logical extension of my other beliefs. Likewise, he is not trying to personally insult you; he is just stating what is an obvious fact derived from his perception of reality. You could say the same thing about him based on your perception of reality. Again, we are all just trying to communicate our beliefs on a controversial topic. I don't think anyone is trying to belittle or personally insult anyone else.

But that's the crux of it Gordon. He is correct, according to his understanding of reality. Because if Mark's view that wires do not and cannot make a difference is correct, then you are, in fact, deluding yourself. Mark's statement about delusion isn't a personal insult; it's just the logical conclusion to be drawn from his beliefs.

Just like, if our view that wires can and do make a difference is correct, then Mark is, in fact, deluding himself. Personally, I think he is and I don't think his system is sufficient for him to hear any differences even if he tried. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just the logical extension of my other beliefs. Likewise, he is not trying to personally insult you; he is just stating what is an obvious fact derived from his perception of reality. You could say the same thing about him based on your perception of reality. Again, we are all just trying to communicate our beliefs on a controversial topic. I don't think anyone is trying to belittle or personally insult anyone else.[/QUOTE

I follow your thought process Rich and I can't disagree but I still think it was rude.

I do think you are correct that Mark may never had equipment that can reveal the difference in cabling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back