Ethan Winer may be on the verge of proving expensive interconnects don't matter.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, you're missing something here: Mark's statements about cabling not making a difference do not come from comparative listening, which he has not done. His statements come from pure theory, so the quality of his stereo equipment is not relevant.

I'm not making a criticism here, just stating a fact.

Guys, you're missing something here: Mark's statements about cabling not making a difference do not come from comparative listening, which he has not done. His statements come from pure theory, so the quality of his stereo equipment is not relevant.

Exactly Bernard. I've pointed this out a couple of times. He doesn't seem to understand this basic concept. Nor other basic decorum.

I'm sorry, but Shunyata Research sells USB cables and crows about how much they help your music signal.

That alone tells me that they have no honor and are happy to fleece the public, and it COMPLETELY discredits anything else that they have to say.

If one of their products is complete BS, then it is likely that the other products are also complete BS.

The bottom line is that they have ZERO integrity.

You guys are confusing fake science babble with real science.

So Mark,

I want to make sure I understand your logic.

Because you believe that all USB cables are created equal and Shunyata sells a USB cable, that proves to you that the remainder of their product line is "complete BS" and they have "zero integrity".

Did I get it right?

And how many different SR products have you heard to justify this blanket assertion?

Gordon

PS: With all due respect, the hole you are digging is getting very deep. May I humbly suggest you stick to RC helicopter and wood working websites where you have some personal experience to back up the integrity of your posts.

Last edited:
So Mark,

I want to make sure I understand your logic.

Because you believe that all USB cables are created equal and Shunyata sells a USB cable, that proves to you that the remainder of their product line is "complete BS" and they have "zero integrity".

Did I get it right?

Gordon

Not quite.

If they just sold a USB cable that was expensive, I wouldn't care. You can pay whatever the market allows.

I think it would only make sense for them to sell a full line up.

However, when they say the following, they have now lied about the effect a USB cable can have on audio quality.
They are blowing smoke to sell a product that can not impact sound quality.

By doing that they have proven that they will say anything to sell a product even if they are lying through their teeth.

At that point every other thing they claim about all of their products is suspect.

usbBS.jpg

Let me break that apart point by point.

There is the truth. They've moved the wires around to separate the signal from the power. OK, great.

Then they lie. The most expensive VTX( Virtual Tube Gemoetry ) pure copper conductors which bring a more life-like textural element and image density to the visual and audio performances.

Sorry but that is utterly and completely impossible. There is no way to add texture or image density to 1's and 0's. This is ABSOLUTELY impossible!

Data is moved to a buffer that is read by the DAC to be turned into music.j

How the data gets to the DAC's buffer is completely irrelevant. The 1's and 0's are the same and can't have more texture or density. If they didn't get there intact there would have had to be a failure of some kind. As has been said many times, if we couldn't move data reliably our entire financial system and everything we know would crumble.

So yes, ANYONE who believes that this USB cable makes their music sound better than the simple shielded USB cable has been sold a bridge or swamp land in Florida.

Last edited:
Mark,

Irrespective of your personal feelings about USB, you didn't answer my query about that being the basis for your universal condemnation of all of their products.

And again, how many SR products have you heard to justify your universal condemnation of Shunyata Research?

Second request. Care to respond?

Gordon

PS: Can't comment about their USB cable. Haven't seen / heard the product. Therefore, I have no opinion. Also, confused about what data transfer in the entire financial system has anything to do with what we see or hear in our AV systems.

Last edited:
Gordon,

If a company sells snake oil, I don't buy from the company.

If you are saying that you think a company will lie through it's teeth about one product and not about others I think you are deluding yourself.

I will NEVER waste my money on a product like these because I know they are a waste of money.

So I am universally condemning them because they are lairs and I will never trust a single thing they say about any of their products.

They are just as bad as the Fake News networks passing off ideas as facts. Just because they have a following and plenty of people who agree with them, doesn't make any of it true.

PS. I think it would be utterly and COMPLETELY obvious from what I've said so far that I would never have at any point in my life purchased a product from them.

Mark,

I'm glad that you continue to believe I am delusional.

Any other personal insults you wish to make?

Gordon

PS: I believe the vast majority of cable manufacturers sell USB cables claiming their cable offers some level of superior AV performance vs what one can buy in K Mart, etc. Does this mean all of their products are BS and those companies also have no integrity?

Last edited:
Gordon,

I'm not trying to insult you.

We have incompatible belief systems and it is highly unlikely that we will ever have common ground in this area.

You think I'm crazy for what I know to be true and I don't believe that you can "trust your ears" as you so frequently say.

I think this horse is not only dead, but has been picked clean by vultures. There is no meat left to talk about without repeating ourselves.

Mark,

By any reasonable standard, calling someone delusional is an insult.

I don't believe I have personally called you out as being delusional, crazy or whatever because you disagree with me.

You seem unable to understand this and obviously will not take responsibility for your words (integrity) and apologize to me.

And yes, I think the horse is dead.

Gordon

Gordon,

I apologize sincerely.

I'll still call snake oil when I see it, but my intent was never to hurt you personally.

PS. Happy Valentines day Gordon!

Last edited:
Thank you Mark.

I agree that there's a lot of snake oil out there and your sensitivity to it is well warranted.

We can agree to disagree on what is snake oil and what is not.

Best,

Gordon

PS: I forgot to mention that I will send you a PM regarding my thoughts on my soon to arrive SR Alpha Digital PC. :rocker:

On a more serious note. WBF has a discussion regarding the "Stage 3 Leviathan" Power Cord. Price is $14,500 for a 1.5M length. Each additional 0.5M costs $4,500. Of course and not mentioned initially by the dealers but confirmed after money was exchanged, the PC is delivered by three teen age nymphs that will help install the PC for three days. Break in time is unknown but the manufacturer claims that the nymphs help decrease that time substantially.

And yes, there are folks that have bought the product and claim they found Jesus after auditioning the PC. I'm skeptical. I think it has something to do with "expectation bias".

Last edited:
Thank you Mark.

I agree that there's a lot of snake oil out there and your sensitivity to it is well warranted.

Best,

Gordon

I like my snake oil best served cold. :)

PS: I forgot to mention that I will send you a PM regarding my thoughts on my soon to arrive

I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but I would be happy to go my entire life without reading a review on a power cord.

I'll give my my impressions on the effect my pet rock has on my music in a fair play exchange.

Thank you Mark.

Best,

Gordon

PS: I forgot to mention that I will send you a PM regarding my thoughts on my soon to arrive SR Alpha Digital PC. :rocker:

On a more serious note. WBF has a discussion regarding the "Stage 3 Leviathan" Power Cord. Price is $14,500 for a 1.5M length. Each additional 0.5M costs $4,500. Of course and not mentioned initially by the dealers but confirmed after money was exchanged, the PC is delivered by three teen age nymphs that will help install the PC for three days. Break in time is unknown but the manufacturer claims that the nymphs help decrease that time substantially.

And yes, there are folks that have bought the product and claim they found Jesus after auditioning the PC. I'm skeptical. I think it has something to do with "expectation bias".

Sweet, where can I get this 'wire' ??

seriously, you guys are making me damn near wet my pants with all this nonsense about delusional talk. For crying out loud, based on what Mark quoted in his post (quote from Shunyata) I'm thinking that there is some delusional bias going on around here .............

Truthfully, I'm so happy that I enjoy my music for what it is and do not get wrapped up in all this wire 'BS' !!!

I'll give my my impressions on the effect my pet rock has on my music in a fair play exchange.

Hey, don't knock it! If it's heavy enough, it could dampen cabinet resonances of whatever piece of gear you place it on. Not if its granite, though. That gives you brittle sound, cold and hard. And Sandstone will give you gritty sound. Now soapstone is supposed to give you really clean highs, and marble should give you smooth mids. You may want to audition a few different types of pet rocks, to find one that has synergy in your system.

seriously, you guys are making me damn near wet my pants with all this nonsense about delusional talk. For crying out loud, based on what Mark quoted in his post (quote from Shunyata) I'm thinking that there is some delusional bias going on around here .............

Truthfully, I'm so happy that I enjoy my music for what it is and do not get wrapped up in all this wire 'BS' !!!

What?? You enjoy your music for what it is? You must have a crap system. LOL!!!

seriously, you guys are making me damn near wet my pants with all this nonsense about delusional talk.

Dave,

There's always "Depends". May need it when we age. :D

Gordon

Hey, don't knock it! If it's heavy enough, it could dampen cabinet resonances of whatever piece of gear you place it on. Not if its granite, though. That gives you brittle sound, cold and hard. And Sandstone will give you gritty sound. Now soapstone is supposed to give you really clean highs, and marble should give you smooth mids. You may want to audition a few different types of pet rocks, to find one that has synergy in your system.

Hey Rich. You're being facetious. Let's not forget, unless "you have tried it; in your system", you have no place to knock it or joke about it!!

If you haven't heard the difference it could make, you have no place to comment.

Back