Ethan Winer may be on the verge of proving expensive interconnects don't matter.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark,

You need to swap out the supplied power cord with some boutique brand.

It will reduce the "noise" and make it much smoother.

Gordon

I already did that.

I used a 50ft 12awg extention cable from COSTCO that I just purchased. I cut it down to 20 feet, wired it into the switch box with the 20A 110V breaker.

BTW that was two 50ft 12awg extention cables for $33.

You can't get anything any more exotic than that could ever affect anything on any system.

Adam,

Admittedly, I spend a lot of "one on one" time with my system. That being just listening, no distractions. As you say, "all consuming". A minimum of 90 minutes every day (week days) and 2 to 2-1/2 hours on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Music truly is my life blood and is part of my inner being. Will be very sad for me when I can no longer enjoy this "hobby".

Gordon

I would love to have that much time!! Young kids though.......makes it impossible.

Mark,

You need to swap out the supplied power cord with some boutique brand.

It will reduce the "noise" and make it much smoother.

Gordon

HAHAHA! Very funny :)

But then I thought - a speaker is just a electric motor driving an object (diaphragm) too - just like this.

No distractions here. Today UPS freight dropped off a 400+ lb cabinet saw. Very smooth and definitely music to my ears!
For now I rewired it for 110V operation, but I can easily swap it back once I have a 100A 240V panel installed in my garage...
One of the first and best things I did when I purchased my current home was to add a 100A panel in my garage to a) Provide 240V for my cabinet saw and b) Upgrade the 1939 vintage two(!) total electrical outlets to 30. Power anywhere and everywhere.

One of the first and best things I did when I purchased my current home was to add a 100A panel in my garage to a) Provide 240V for my cabinet saw and b) Upgrade the 1939 vintage two(!) total electrical outlets to 30. Power anywhere and everywhere.

30 outlets! Wow! Currently I only have 8 outlets, but I will have a bunch added when I have the 100A panel put in.

BTW they told me that they only use copper up to 60A and that for 100A panels they use an aluminum conduit.

I have heard they are fine. I'm really curious if you have aluminum conduit in yours. If so how do your tools sound?

If aluminum, probably too analytical. We all know copper is a smoother sounding material.

....for 100A panels they use an aluminum conduit.

I have heard they are fine. I'm really curious if you have aluminum conduit in yours.
Yes, aluminum conduit.

If so how do your tools sound?
Initially some bloom in the lower mids, corrected with 187 Mpingo dots. Total bitch gluing the damn things on.

I already did that.

I used a 50ft 12awg extention cable from COSTCO that I just purchased. I cut it down to 20 feet, wired it into the switch box with the 20A 110V breaker.

BTW that was two 50ft 12awg extention cables for $33.

You can't get anything any more exotic than that could ever affect anything on any system.

I've been watching this thread with some interest. I of course fall in the category that cables do make a difference but you need a system that actually resolves so cables can be heard. RCHeliGuy system in my mind falls way short to even try to contend. His Costco example is a farce to say the least. If the goal is to find the cheapest components I think he has certainly got to the finish line.

I've been watching this thread with some interest. I of course fall in the category that cables do make a difference but you need a system that actually resolves so cables can be heard. RCHeliGuy system in my mind falls way short to even try to contend. His Costco example is a farce to say the least. If the goal is to find the cheapest components I think he has certainly got to the finish line.

Everyone else has been constructive and had an interesting debate.

What makes you think you can interject with that patronising, supercilious rubbish?

In case you missed it. We were all joking at this point.

I was talking about wiring a 12awg power cable from COSTCO for my new table saw and was told that the "saw" could use an exotic cable to sound better.

That was followed up with a comment about how tools sounded with a 100A fusebox wired with aluminum instead of copper.

Here is the saw with the yellow extension cord wired into the switch box.

sawdone.jpg

Right now I'm wiring up a router lift system with DRO for my new router table. Having fun!!! :D

routerliftDRO.jpg

Last edited:
In case you missed it. We were all joking at this point.

I was talking about wiring a 12awg power cable from COSTCO for my new table saw and was told that the "saw" could use an exotic cable to sound better.

That was followed up with a comment about how tools sounded with a 100A fusebox wired with aluminum instead of copper.

Mark,

Come on dude. I've seen research that indicates all the above is true.

You damn objectivists. Unwilling to try new stuff.

And Ken's comment about midrange bloom is correct. I did several AB tests and I heard it.

Gordon

Mark,

And Ken's comment about midrange bloom is correct. I did several AB tests and I heard it.

Gordon

But were you running Mikata, Hitachi, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosche or something else ?

The motors are wound differently and have different speed options.

My Porter Cable runs 11,000, 13,000, 16,000, 19,000 and 21,000 rpm. I have a Hitachi that goes up to 24,000 rpm.

Of course when the automatic dust collection system kicks on it will color the sound of whatever tool you are using.

Mark,

Gordon

I do and I'm sure Gordon runs Shunyata PC's on all of his power tools.

But were you running Mikata, Hitachi, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosche or something else ?

Mark,

I can't tell you. It's a new manufacturer who sent me his current "beta" saw and it has proprietary technology.

This manufacturer also "cryogenically" treats all the parts before the saw is assembled.

That could be the secret.

Gordon

I do and I'm sure Gordon runs Shunyata PC's on all of his power tools.

If I had power tools, I would certainly do that my friend.

On a more serious note, I have drunk the Shunyata cool aid and I'm addicted.

Installed my third (Alpha analogue) on my preamp (bought used / 45% off list) Friday night and ordered the "Alpha digital" on sale from Music Direct yesterday.

This stuff, in my system, is amazing and offers significant performance jumps for a relatively small amount.

It's similar to buying a new component for a lot less money. :cool:

Gordon

I hope dyslexia is not a problem when you're running power tools :)

<sigh> I spelled Makita wrong, mea culpa infinity times!

Gordon I think there may be some extra active ingredients in that Koolaid you're drinking :)

However I guarantee it is the same for you as buying a new component. You get excited about the new tweak whatever it is. The excitement makes your music sound better. Then after a while you get itchy again and start looking for the next tweak. You get excited, the music sounds better, rinse and repeat so long as you have the money to do so. As long as you think it might make a difference, you will listen for that difference and find it.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Your speculation based entirely on your "objective" biases.

The issue at hand is synergy. And I hope you recognize the validity of my comment regarding your "passive" listening style and, as a result, your inability to appreciate or understand what is happening.

I have absolutely no preconceptions about whether something is good or bad. It's judged on a "per case" basis and, in this instance, switching to the same cable brand for my system. Many have written about the validity of this approach.

As you admitted earlier in this thread, you have no interest in auditioning wire. As a result, you have absolutely no foundation for making any judgements regarding what I am hearing and why I am hearing it.

Best,

Gordon

Back