Ethan Winer may be on the verge of proving expensive interconnects don't matter.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Na. Nothing to do with religion.

PS: Mark, I'll provide one subjective impression and another objective.

The subjective side. Each time I put in an SR PC, there was a clear, identifiable sense of greater space and dimensionality with a significant decrease in "smearing" of hard transients. Piano transient "ringing" (room acoustic overload) stopped. In my somewhat live room, that is quite the accomplishment. I've been struggling with this issue for years. I listen to a lot of recordings of the classic "jazz trio". Piano, drums, acoustic bass. I've heard this on every disc of this genre that I've played. I probably have 20 or so CD's of this type music that I play on a regular basis.

The objective side. My pre has volume detents of 0.7 db. I record volume levels with the date and volume level every month or less if required. Repeatable volume levels are critical since a higher or lower volume will impact one's perceptions of the music regarding detail, transparency, speed, imaging, etc. The volume level for all my CD's has been reduced by 2 clicks or 1.4 db since I started my SR PC journey. What this means is I'm hearing more music at lower volumes. If you read about "musical" systems, you will find this is a common occurrence once one's system reaches a certain level of transparency. Please note that this has nothing to do with cost and has everything to do with "system matching" otherwise called synergy. This phenomena is repeatable and I believe is the result of lower noise and additional clarity provided by the SR products.

Best,

Gordon

Last edited:
I'm sure all his tools are by Festool as well :)

I can't speak for Gordon but, they make amazing, though expensive tools. If I were still custom woodwork daily I would be looking seriously at Festool when replacement tools were required.

Even though, the opinions of some here are that my judgment in audio spending is flawed, I have yet to feel comfortable with the cost of their tools. :-0

I can't speak for Gordon but, they make amazing, though expensive tools. If I were still custom woodwork daily I would be looking seriously at Festool when replacement tools were required.

Even though, the opinions of some here are that my judgment in audio spending is flawed, I have yet to feel comfortable with the cost of their tools. :-0

I have a Festool random orbital sander and it is fantastic. It has never left a swirl mark on any piece of wood soft or hard no matter the grit I'm using.

Gordon,

Here is the problem. I KNOW for a FACT that neither a USB cable or power cable can have any effect on your audio quality. It's simply impossible unless the USB cable is failing or the PC is underrated for the load.

You had asked me to try out a cable on my OPPO 105D.

Inside a CD player the AC is COMPLETELY converted to DC. In addition there are buffer capacitors. In the case of an Amplifier they are HUGE. For a CD player that sips power and for many amps the capacitors are plenty to handle sags in your AC line voltage. There IS NO WAY TO IMPROVE THE AC power coming across many feet of conduit that costs about 1 buck a foot. It doesn't matter what you tack on the end. You simply can not improve that power coming out of the wall.

Because I know this to be true, everything else you say becomes less credible when you say you believe it makes a difference.

I am a BSEE and I have a background in professional audio and digital mastering consoles. I don't pretend that means I know everything about audio. I don't. But I don't need to listen to music critically hours each day to know an AC cable our USB cable can not possibly have any impact on the sound you are hearing.

If I had power tools, I would certainly do that my friend.

On a more serious note, I have drunk the Shunyata cool aid and I'm addicted.

Installed my third (Alpha analogue) on my preamp (bought used / 45% off list) Friday night and ordered the "Alpha digital" on sale from Music Direct yesterday.

This stuff, in my system, is amazing and offers significant performance jumps for a relatively small amount.

It's similar to buying a new component for a lot less money. :cool:

Gordon

Grodon, I feel, I heard more improvement from the Alpha digital PC than any other cable I have replaced. I don't think you will be disappointed.

35 years in high end wood flooring and never had a cable make me more money .. Tools are made to make you money ........ Audio equipment is to put a smile on your face.. If a cable make me smile I am all for it.. If a cable make me money ID BUY 20 of them.. Festools are worth every penny .. Show me one manufacture that makes a saw guide rip saw.. Can I use a 1x as a guide yes.. BUT NOT +- .062 at 8 feet..

Fein is another that is copied and they are the best as they have standard 120hz 15 amp cords..

This thread has lost all debatable focus as we now are comically mocking each other ..

I resemble that comment, CAP.

Mark, Which model of sander do you have?

I have this one. I keep 5 different grits of paper on hand for it. It has never disappointed me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003832KVS

I'm really loving my new table saw even though I know Grizzly is not considered high end, the table top is machined very true and I'm completely satisfied with how true my miter slot is with the blade at all blade heights and angles. Combine that with the INCRA Fence and I have very repeatable cuts. The fence locks in at 1/32" increments. So I can pop back and forth between different measurements all day long and get cuts good to 0.01 inch or better. It also has an adjustment knob that moves it in 1/1000th inch increments. My Forrest blades are great, but the 40 tooth Woodworker II lives on the saw.

I can't wait to get my new router table together :)

Last edited:
Tools are made to make you money ........ .

My tools put a grin on my face :)

I never build anything I could buy. That isn't the point. When I design something I can't buy and build it, I get a lot of satisfaction from that. Granted the tools are a means to an end, but a precise tool that works well and gives me great results is joy to use.

I think the fact that I work behind 3 computer monitors all day makes working with my hands and physically building things more important to me. If I did anything related to wood working for a living it probably wouldn't have the same draw.

Last edited:
I am a BSEE and I have a background in professional audio and digital mastering consoles. I don't pretend that means I know everything about audio. I don't. But I don't need to listen to music critically hours each day to know an AC cable our USB cable can not possibly have any impact on the sound you are hearing.

Whatever. I tried my best to provide you with information that I thought would help you understand my perspective.

Horse to water.

Bye.

PS: What I find astounding is how someone can "know" something without ever having any listening experience with the thing they claim to know. Having said that, being an EW fan boy does provide some insight as to why you make such statements. And I am not a BSEE and I don't have a background in professional audio and digital mastering consoles. However, unlike you, I base my claims on countless hours of critical listening and personal experience. It's one thing to base an opinion on pure speculation versus having personal experiences with a product and, as a result, having an informed opinion. You're a smart guy. I don't understand why you cannot grasp that simple concept. Seems similar to DT fans who believe and accept anything that comes out of his mouth, regardless of what it is. And I have made no mention of USB cables. I have no personal experience with this type cable. Therefore, I have no opinion. You must be confusing me with someone else.

Last edited:
I have this one. I keep 5 different grits of paper on hand for it. It has never disappointed me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003832KVS

I'm really loving my new table saw even though I know Grizzly is not considered high end, the table top is machined very true and I'm completely satisfied with how true my miter slot is with the blade at all blade heights and angles. Combine that with the INCRA Fence and I have very repeatable cuts. The fence locks in at 1/32" increments. So I can pop back and forth between different measurements all day long and get cuts good to 0.01 inch or better. It also has an adjustment knob that moves it in 1/1000th inch increments. My Forrest blades are great, but the 40 tooth Woodworker II lives on the saw.

I can't wait to get my new router table together :)

Grizzly makes good tools. They are solidly built and accurate. That is all you can ask. The project is about 20% tool and 80% operator/craftsman.

Forrest are the best blades I have used. I have them on 3 table saws 3 miter boxes and 1 circular saw. From 8 1/4" to 14". I can't tell you how many times I have cut a finger by just bumping one of the carbide tips on a freshly sharpened blade.

Still using a Bosch DA sander i have had for years. I works very well but as technology and ergonomics advance newer sanders are more comfortable to use. I will keep your suggestion at hand for the future.

If I had power tools, I would certainly do that my friend.

On a more serious note, I have drunk the Shunyata cool aid and I'm addicted.

Installed my third (Alpha analogue) on my preamp (bought used / 45% off list) Friday night and ordered the "Alpha digital" on sale from Music Direct yesterday.

This stuff, in my system, is amazing and offers significant performance jumps for a relatively small amount.

It's similar to buying a new component for a lot less money. :cool:

Gordon

Gordon,

I absolutely agree with your thoughts on Shunyata products.

I feel the most improvement in sound from any cable change was my Alpha digital PC for my disc player. I will be very surprised if you aren't happy with the results.

I have a Hydra powering all front end equipment. I would love to try the new Denali 2000Ts on my amps. That will take an increase in my allowance and playful negotiations with my wife. I have been trolling with a few carefully placed comments about them in the last month. We will see.

Brad,

Looking forward to installing and"listening to" the Alpha digital. Will provide comments in a couple of weeks.

Gordon

Grizzly makes good tools. They are solidly built and accurate. That is all you can ask. The project is about 20% tool and 80% operator/craftsman.

Forrest are the best blades I have used. I have them on 3 table saws 3 miter boxes and 1 circular saw. From 8 1/4" to 14". I can't tell you how many times I have cut a finger by just bumping one of the carbide tips on a freshly sharpened blade.

Still using a Bosch DA sander i have had for years. I works very well but as technology and ergonomics advance newer sanders are more comfortable to use. I will keep your suggestion at hand for the future.

Love my Forrest blades! Feud is my second choice when I need something. I've got a Diablo blade on my small 3.25" one hand radial saw and it has done a great job cutting 3/4" plywood.

I use mostly Whiteside and Sommerfeld bits for my router. Whiteside for all the small bits and Sommerfeld for the really big bits. reverse glue-up, tongue and groove.

I just milled some HDPE to mount the DRO for my new router lift system. The depth meter is PERFECTLY square with the router lift top.

DROmount1.jpg

The objective side. My pre has volume detents of 0.7 db. I record volume levels with the date and volume level every month or less if required. Repeatable volume levels are critical since a higher or lower volume will impact one's perceptions of the music regarding detail, transparency, speed, imaging, etc. The volume level for all my CD's has been reduced by 2 clicks or 1.4 db since I started my SR PC journey. What this means is I'm hearing more music at lower volumes.
Or, your ears have simply adjusted to the decreased volume levels. I experience the same thing all of the time without changing a single thing in my setup.

Not in my opinion. This is consistently across all CD's and my XM tuner. And it has happened as a result of installing the SR PC's. That's the only thing that has changed in my system.

Also, I'm confident my hearing hasn't gotten better.

It's quite a wonderful surprise.

Do you track your volume levels within 0.7 db? I do for every CD and listening to my XM tuner.

Not in my opinion. This is consistently across all CD's and my XM tuner. And it has happened as a result of installing the SR PC's. That's the only thing that has changed in my system.

Also, I'm confident my hearing hasn't gotten better.

It's quite a wonderful surprise.

Do you track your volume levels within 0.7 db? I do for every CD and listening to my XM tuner.
Given sufficient time our ears adjust remarkably well to changes, including volume level. This ability of our ears to readily adapt is the primary reason why long term analysis is so challenging in this hobby.

Though I rarely do subjective testing involving audio electronics anymore (I objectively measure instead),when I do .... all of it is done blind via my ABX switcher which allows instantaneous switching (via remote relay) between devices under test that I level match (with volt meter) to within 0.1dB.

Last edited:
Hi Pneumonic,

It happened very quickly.

Do you track your listening volumes to 0.7db on a daily basis?

I assume the answer is no.

Best,

Gordon

Do you track your listening volumes to 0.7db on a daily basis?
Other than for curiosity reasons, I don't track volume levels, no. As mentioned previously, if I wanted to accurately test differences between components, I would pull out my signal generator, scope and meter and do basic signal analysis to determine what is going on with each tested voltage signal. Only then could I be confident in the test results.

Back