Did I just get censured on this site?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantana

Reaction score
I had a thread that was titled "How Much?" about some 35
year old JBL wood contraption that was sold on Audiogon. Guy
was asking $11.2 K.....where'd the thread go?

I saw the thread earlier. I can't imagine it would get you censured. The JBL "contraption" you were talking about is considered a true classic though. I think the abso!ute sound did an article a few years ago on the 20 most important products in audio and I recall it being among them.

Maybe someone (Tom or Dave - I haven't touched it) is just doing some maintenence and it got moved or something.

i figured it had to be a classic, but wouldn't you want to spend
that 11k on some awesome modern speakers or electronics?

I had a thread that was titled "How Much?" about some 35
year old JBL wood contraption that was sold on Audiogon. Guy
was asking $11.2 K.....where'd the thread go?

You can talk about stuff on Audiogon, but Tom doesn't like the links because at some point the sale or ad expires and the link is dead.

You just need to frame the discussion a little bit to meet Tom's rules, that's all.

a better way to have posted that would've been to take a snapshot (ctl + print screen) of the auction, save it as an image and then imbed it into the message so for years to come, we'll all be able to see it....

now i see why i got b-slapped....
thanks for the tip....i almost copied another audiogon link on the
Tyler Acoustics thread....cheers

links to ebay or audiogon auctions are promptly deleted.

Tom

This just highlights what I said the other day about needing a few clear easily readable and acessible rules. Especially to provide guidance to newcomers.

The other day on the "what are we here for" thread you (Tom) said there is just one rule: respect...yada yada yada

Today we find out there may be another apparently unwritten rule. I say apparently unwritten, because it may be written...but in a location I haven't discovered yet.

A clear set of rules is like a backbone, it has to be strong enough to hold the upper body erect, but can bend and flex as the situation warrants.

Tom...I'm not trying to stir up trouble.....to the contrary, I'm trying to prevent it!

i have to agree with Jerry. about two weeks ago i followed up to someone on a moderated thread and got an auto note that the message would need approval. all fine and good. but the message just went into the ether with no message saying why. i think, that unless it's offensive or illegal (or both :) ) then a simple note explaining why what was done was done will go a long way to stop repeat offences.

it's kind of like telling your kid not to paint the cat instead of just hiding the paint.

i think that the mod here do a great job. don't get me wrong on that. but i think that telling people what they have done when posts are removed or not approved would be real nice.

The rules and regulations when you join clearly state that no links to ebay or a'gon auctions are allowed.

Tom ...perhaps you should post those somewhere where they are accessible to other than new affiliates. I have a great memory, but it doesn't go back 2 and a half years. I also suspect that I wouldn't remember then after 30 days.

This is my opinion and not an accusation ... the playground needs clearly defined and visible boundaries. My experience in life with many many organizations has shown me that organizations with invisible or ambiguous boundaries have more trouble than those who have clear and defined boundaries. The same applies not only to business but to families as well.

Last edited:
my opinion of course...

Tom - whatever is easiest..... It is obviously work for you to zap and move stuff and such .. it is also work for you to create the page with the rules that everyone will forget - and then you will have to point them to the page....

I have had stuff moved ... closed etc.... You just can't take this personally...nobody has any axes to grind... I don't think at least... :)

Here is to an incredible site....(beer mugs raised High!!) :cheers:

I've had the occasional post along with replies just vanish. it's only happened a few times over the last year but I had no idea what happened to them or why. I now know it's because I had an Ebay/Audiogon link in there. Wasn't a big deal, I'm just happy to know I'm not losing my mind.

i have to agree with Jerry. about two weeks ago i followed up to someone on a moderated thread and got an auto note that the message would need approval. all fine and good. but the message just went into the ether with no message saying why. i think, that unless it's offensive or illegal (or both :) ) then a simple note explaining why what was done was done will go a long way to stop repeat offences.

it's kind of like telling your kid not to paint the cat instead of just hiding the paint.

well it happened again. i tried to let the folks here know about a good deal on ebay for a depth. i didn't post the link, i did post the item number - no link. i got the usual it will need approval but once again the message just goes into the ether with no explanation.

man that gets under my skin. we all have our buttons, and having an attempt at being helpful being tossed into the trash is one of mine.

I think Toms rule is a good one we all know where to buy used equipment and I know most of us check those sites regularly anyway just for fun. this site will just get cluttered up will sales crap if it's allowed.

well it happened again. i tried to let the folks here know about a good deal on ebay for a depth. i didn't post the link, i did post the item number - no link. i got the usual it will need approval but once again the message just goes into the ether with no explanation.

man that gets under my skin. we all have our buttons, and having an attempt at being helpful being tossed into the trash is one of mine.

Hi Zaphod,
the message didn't go into the ether, it was waiting to get approved. links to ebay and agon ARE allowed in the classified section... Please re-post with the entire link.

Dreamer is the classifieds moderator and he's been AWOL for awhile.. but Mitt, twich54 and myself all moderate everything... we have lives to lead outside of the MLC, so be patient when you post..

thanks.

Tom

sorry for the impatience. short attention span too. i blame Sesame Street. :)

thanks for the fast response Tom.

edit: darn item got sold with Buy It Now - it was a good deal indeed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back