Could this be the Holy Grail of A/V processors?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both units are very impressive! However, you could spend MONTHS comparing the sound/video performance of the various connections and software options. Throw in something like an Oppo universal player, and a high-end HDTV with top-of-the-line upscaling, each with their own customizable options, and you end up with waaaay too many variables. Denon's Cat5/wireless G capability is interesting, but at this point, it doesn't even come close to the ease and convenience of a Squeezebox (or the forthcoming Squeezebox Duet). At least they recognize that streaming music/video will be the future. Personally, I'm more concerned with two-channel audio performance above all else, so I want to know if the AVP-A1HDCI really adds $5000 additional performance over the Denon 3808CI. I sure hope some Audiophile-grade reviews are forthcoming.

Both units are very impressive! However, you could spend MONTHS comparing the sound/video performance of the various connections and software options. Throw in something like an Oppo universal player, and a high-end HDTV with top-of-the-line upscaling, each with their own customizable options, and you end up with waaaay too many variables. Denon's Cat5/wireless G capability is interesting, but at this point, it doesn't even come close to the ease and convenience of a Squeezebox (or the forthcoming Squeezebox Duet). At least they recognize that streaming music/video will be the future. Personally, I'm more concerned with two-channel audio performance above all else, so I want to know if the AVP-A1HDCI really adds $5000 additional performance over the Denon 3808CI. I sure hope some Audiophile-grade reviews are forthcoming.

Yes it has extreme connectivity and processing options. And as such should be one that will stay current technology wise for some time. A lot of forward thinking went into this unit (amplifier also), to ensure that users and custom installers would have any and every option available to them. Yes there are indeed a lot of variables.

And I agree that the Squeezebox is more than likely the best solution for streaming audio for most. For me, I'm looking forward to this units streaming capability as then I will have everything I need in one chassis. Just the ability to listen to AAC lossless, FLAC, and WAV, is going to be great for me. And from what I was reading you can select the playlists or files you want to listen to from the Denon's on screen menu system. I just hope that it's user interface is easy to use.

For me, like you, 2 channel performance is very important. With my Sunfire TGIII, 2 channel sound quality is superb as is it's multi channel sound. But I can't stream music directly to the Sunfire, and it is totally behind the times when it comes to connectivity options and audio decoding formats. So for me I want something that does everything, and has all the connections I need or may need. The Denon offers all of this, so for me It's the perfect AV controller.

I know that Denon's past high end 2 channel components were considered by many as some of the best sounding out there. So I don't see them skimping on the audio section of this new AV controller, especially since It's going to be their top of the line AV product. And knowing that it's a dual differential all balanced design is just icing on the cake. :)

Seth

Well I just got an official confirmation from my dealer that the AVP-A1HD is definitely on track for a 3rd week in February release. Yippee!!!!:D

Last edited:
Please let us know the ballpark street price! I'm guesstimating ~$5500.

Right now some places that I'm aware of are only discounting around 10%. That brings it to about $6300. There was a guy who told me he pre-ordered his for 30% off ($4900), but wouldn't share where he was buying it from (and I can appreciate that).

It's possible he either works at the store and got a good discount, or is friends with the owner. Either way that is a heck of a good deal. But I'm sure it's gonna' be darn near impossible to get it for that low of a price.

But once this pre/pro is out and available in large quantities, one might find it for $5500 or so. But for the moment, one isn't going to get it for too much off of list.

Seth

Sent another PM. (Sorry to all for the gratuitous bump, sincere apologies). It's just an urgent newsflash for Seth's friends!

Just thought I'd share, Jeff Talmadge who is the Director of Product Development & Systems Integration for Denon USA is back at the AVS forum. The last time he made an appearance at AVS was 5 years ago, so if anyone has questions about this new AVP-A1HD pre/pro or some other new Denon audio product, now is the time to ask him about it.

I think he already logged off for today, but he will be back on line tomorrow.

He also has a thread for Denon Blu-ray players here

Seth

Last edited:
Also wanted to share what he said about this new pre/pro.

The AVP shares only the DSP section and chassis from the 5308CI. It has dual torrodial transformers, 6 seperate power supplies, the aforemention DAC section, differential volume control, differential A/D conversion on all inputs including the external multi-channel inputs. This is by far the highest quality engineered piece of A/V gear we have ever built! I would without a doubt put it up against any product in its class or above it!!

It will be shipping around the middle of February, retail is $7k (same for the POA-A1HDCI amplifier...should be up on our site in the next few days...

It's interesting how saavy companies (even huge conglomerates like Denon) are finally realizing how important it is to have an ACTIVE online presence. Those manufacturers providing product info (including setup/troubleshooting knowledge online), are reaching hundreds, if not thousands, of product owners and potential owners in one fell swoop. This is clearly a much more "cost-effective" support solution vs. banks of offshore tech support operators reading scripts. Chris Kyriakakis (CTO) of Audyssey, is likewise "hanging out" on AVSForum, helping users bring out the best of his technology. Likewise, Sean Adams and his entire team at Slimdevices/Logitech, are very active online participants. This is the wave of the future! Just think how cool it would be if Jim Powers and/or his support staff regularly contributed to our discussions here!

I believe it was the online community that made a such large impact on the success of Slimdevices and their streaming audio products. The Slimdevices typical customer is more likely to be active online so it makes sense for that sort of company to be more involved online.

We know for a fact that ML does read and monitor this forum. However, they don't participate and it's probably a company policy that forbids it. It's obviously a cautious approach that they take.

Getting back to the new Monster Denon Receiver...it looks to be an impressive and quality piece of HT engineering.

However, what is a user going to do with 10 channels of amplification??? I'm sure the Home Theater installers are going to love that one.

Getting back to the new Monster Denon Receiver...it looks to be an impressive and quality piece of HT engineering.

However, what is a user going to do with 10 channels of amplification??? I'm sure the Home Theater installers are going to love that one.

I would use the extra's beyond the 7 I would put in my system (though depending on how big a HT you built, you might use an extra pair of side fill for a total of 9 channels use) for extra rooms in the house. I suspect you can assign them as needed so it is not all on all the time playing the same thing...

Uh, I have 15 active channels in my rig (12 for 7.1 with some biamping, 2 for Sub, 1 for ButtKicker), so 10 is not even enough ;)

And I'm just running a measly 7.1 config.

If/when I get this Denon piece, I'll be adding surround-back channels for EX and other modes. So I'll actually need another pair of amp channels.

Reading the manual, they clearly have a long ways to go to really explain all the power of this unit. I'm fairly savvy about this whole topic, and I was still left scratching my head and having to read up on other forums for more detail on certain functions.

This is a piece where owners who do their own configs *must* read and participate in online forums to truly get the most out of this product.

Back