What HT Processors are users using?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adanny

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Would love to hear from some of the HT aficionados on what processors they are using? I have been using a Parasound C2 for multichannel and a tube TADAC pre-amp for 2 channel, and a DVDO edge for video processing. I have both a projector and a plasma (projector drops in front of the plasma). I've loved the above combo's performance but the damn DVDO is so unreliable I am now looking to throw it and the Parasound out and get an HDMI processor with dual HDMI output. It would drive a 7.1 Summit, Stage, Script i system. 2 channel amps are Bel Canto reference 1000s and rest of speakers are driven by a B&K 7270

Any advice based on what is working for you with your Logans ? My needs are:
1) Great sound, ideally with room correction
2) Dual HDMI outputs
3) 2 Zones (or more)
4) Digital pass through which I would feed to my TADAC for 2 channel listening

Probably a 5k or so budget

thanks
adanny

i use a bryston SP 1.7 processor for the sound chain and extron pro gear for the video chain.

but YMMV as there are folks (some hear) that despise the bryston gear (i have to admit, that their amps leave me cold, but i do like their pres and processors).

and there are some who find that the extron video gear induces ringing on the image (to which i must be blind so i doesn't matter :)

before getting the bryston i was down to that or a lexicon. but i liked the analog approach in the bryston and that it didn't have a video chain mixed into the system.

but ...

i now have a 2 channel pre with HT bypass, so the need for good analog in the processor is no longer an issue.

and with HDMI/HDbaseT these days handling the video chain separately from the audio seems to be adding complexity and money where it just might not be needed.

but ...

i now have a 2 channel pre with HT bypass, so the need for good analog in the processor is no longer an issue.

and with HDMI/HDbaseT these days handling the video chain separately from the audio seems to be adding complexity and money where it just might not be needed.

my situation exactly. I also have a 2 channel pre amp that works perfectly and I am not happy with the separation in video and audio that I installed. It is clearly adding complexity and the DVDO breaking down is a PITA. I am definitely sticking to one processor for video and audio going forward...

I am using a Marantz AV-8003 Pre pro. It has balanced line outs, if you need that, and two HDMI outs, though only one is active at a time.

It may not be avaliable in the near future as a newer model is coming out with HDMI 1.4 capability.

Try looking at the Integra DHC-80.1

Lots of great feedback from users.

I'm looking to pick one up in the coming months.

Okay Adanny, you asked.:D

I have 3 completely separate AV systems with Martin Logans all around, all the time.

I have an Integra DHC 80.1 in the main theater. This is a 7.2 ML system with Stylos(4), Stage, Fresco i (2), with Descent i and SVS PB Ultra doing the heavy lifting. The Amp is a Sunfire 7400 and I do have a DVDO Edge, but I have not had as much trouble with mine, although it is a bit quirky at times, all of this is hooked up to a Sony VPL-VW200.

I then have various source components including a Sony PS3 for games, with Oppo BDP-83, Super Beta, Digital VHS, Laser Disc, and a Dish VIP622, pretty much covering the source thing.

With Audessey, the sound both for movies and music is amazing. Integra replaced a Sony 5300ES and so far it only has one annoying feature. Sometimes it clicks and resets as the source changes, sometimes even on commercials. Probably an HDMI thing and I expect a firmware upgrade will fix that and then the only thing left will be to get a 80.2 for 3D.

Upstairs I have a Onyko708 with the latest 1.4a HDMI so that I can do 3D on a Panny 50 inch HDTV 3D. Again Audessey is key here. The Logans are in a 7.1 setup, with Stylos, Motif, Motion, and Passages.The sound again is really great, with another OPPO BDP83 for music and a Panny Bluray 3D player and a Fuji HD 3D Player for my Fuji W-1 3D camera.

Finally, I have an analogue 5.1 system that is a bit over the top. With a custom built McCormack MAP-1, Analogue Pre, running off a SimAudio Moon Titan 5 channel amp with Moon Orbiter Universal Player for SACD, DVD audio, HDCD, etc. and a OPPO BDP83 via analog hookup for Bluray audio all hooked up to a 60inch LG Plasma.

Oh, almost forgot, (4) CLXs plus Stage, and a JL Audio Gotham bringing up the bottom end. This system sounds unbelieveable through the MAP-1 and frankly, I listen to 95% of my music through this system, the other two are more for TV and Movies and 5 % music, unless you count my Wife's music, which I don't:D

Unlike most here, I listen in Multi-Channel, never stereo so take my comments with a grain.......make that a bucket of salt. But if you want to listen to Great and I do mean great analog music and do the digital thing too........well the McCormack MAP-1 is hard to beat, it is quiet and has this ARM circuit that is really neat, if you have a 2 channel source that you would like to listen to in multichannel:D

Anyway, whatever blows your skirt up, is what you should go with, within reason, kind of what I did.:D

I've gone the Anthem Statement D2 route and it is truely a fine picece although a bit pricy. The Integra/Onkyo pro is my current choice for price value, especially if you intend to use a preamp with bypass for analog, which is the Integra's weakest area.

I've gone the Anthem Statement D2 route and it is truely a fine picece although a bit pricy. The Integra/Onkyo pro is my current choice for price value, especially if you intend to use a preamp with bypass for analog, which is the Integra's weakest area.

I should have mentioned what DrJRapp did so eloquently. The Integra/Onkyo is currently the price value and feature leader.

And I would add that you can always start out with a Integra/Onkyo AV receiver and then buy a separate power amp and use the Integra/Onkyo as a Pre, but it is key that you get a model that has pre-outs which not all of them have.

So a word to the wise, get a model upscale enough that you can use pre-outs, that way you can use it for many years to come, oh and don't forget to get a 1.4a HDMI, then you have 3D covered too.:D

I should have mentioned what DrJRapp did so eloquently. The Integra/Onkyo is currently the price value and feature leader.

And I would add that you can always start out with a Integra/Onkyo AV receiver and then buy a separate power amp and use the Integra/Onkyo as a Pre, but it is key that you get a model that has pre-outs which not all of them have.

So a word to the wise, get a model upscale enough that you can use pre-outs, that way you can use it for many years to come, oh and don't forget to get a 1.4a HDMI, then you have 3D covered too.:D

I must add that I did not mean to imply that the Integra's analog section was poor, just not up to the level of the digital performance. For use with any of the ML speakers short of perhaps the higher end ESL like the Vantage, Summits and CLX, the analog section is just fine. I was playing mine with a pair of Mosaics for awhile and it was an easy to recommend combination. Only when I tried to listen with my Summits were any weaknesses apparent. It should be noted that my crurrent dedicated HT uses Klipsch referenece for speakers only because I prefer the dynamics they deliver. My two channel system is completely stand alone, in a different room and features the Summits with appropriate coordinating high end electronics.

I don't see why you need a processor with 1.4 for 3D. You can purchase a 3D blu ray player with two hdmi outs, one connected to your 3D tv for video, and one connected to your processor with a l.3 hdmi for your audio. My McIntosh MX150 only has 1.3, and I do not anticipate any problems, providing I purchase a 3D blu ray player with two hdmi outs.

Hello,
This Thread somewhat dovetails into a Thread I was going to start. Currently, I am using a TX-SR875 strictly as an SSP. I have never even hooked up Speakers to the Onkyo's Binding Post.

I am about to pick up a TX-NR5007 and have been trying to think of a solution to setting up Audyssey DSX when I use Vantage (Mains), Stage (Center), Vista (Surround), and Depth (Subwoofer).

For use with Width and Height Channels, I am thinking of using additional Stages. Or perhaps a pair of Aeons for the Width Channel. The Width Channel is apparently the most important Channel to add according to Audyssey Co-Founder and THX Founder Tomlinson Holman.

I just do not know how I am going to accommodate a Width Channel when it is hard enough setting up 2 Pairs of ESL Panel Speakers, but everything I have read makes it seems it is worth the effort.

So my question is to any ESL ML Owners who are running DSX. How does it sound and what Speakers have you used.
Cheers,
JJ

I don't see why you need a processor with 1.4 for 3D. You can purchase a 3D blu ray player with two hdmi outs, one connected to your 3D tv for video, and one connected to your processor with a l.3 hdmi for your audio. My McIntosh MX150 only has 1.3, and I do not anticipate any problems, providing I purchase a 3D blu ray player with two hdmi outs.

Ron,

Now why did you have to go and point that out. Some guys wives read these things you know. And if one of the guys that posts on here were using 3-D 1.4a as an excuse to get a new toy......well that dual HDMI thingy kind of ruins it. Not that I would ever do that.:D

Actually, I did get a Panny 350 with dual hdmi outs as part of the Panny 3-D HDTV deal, BB threw it in for free...wink, wink, nod, nod, so that would have worked with the Sony 5300ES but the wife wanted to get rid of all the remotes and just use the Onyko remote to turn everything on and off and manipulate sources, so I needed to go for the simple connection and setup which was HDMI 1.4a, at least that is my story and I am sticking to it.

And before you go there, yeah I have a Harmony remote already downstairs for my big HT system, but actually the Onyko remote is easier to use and works much better than the Harmony. I use the Harmony but my system is so complex that it just doesn't work right, but hey, live and learn.:eek:

Last edited:
3D TV is gimmicky and will die off before long, anyway. Although, that doesn't mean that updated HDMI support is a bad thing.

Why does your Harmony not work? I can't imagine any combination that couldn't be made to work.

I am using the Krell S-1200U. The video processing as well as analog section is definitely state of the art but it is on the expensive side. Also, it only has one HDMI output (4 HDMI inputs).

The Anthem D2V will probably be a better price per value prospect. I have not heard it but the reviews are very favorable.

Ron,

Now why did you have to go and point that out. Some guys wives read these things you know. And if one of the guys that posts on here were using 3-D 1.4a as an excuse to get a new toy......well that dual HDMI thingy kind of ruins it. Not that I would ever do that.:D

Actually, I did get a Panny 350 with dual hdmi outs as part of the Panny 3-D HDTV deal, BB threw it in for free...wink, wink, nod, nod, so that would have worked with the Sony 5300ES but the wife wanted to get rid of all the remotes and just use the Onyko remote to turn everything on and off and manipulate sources, so I needed to go for the simple connection and setup which was HDMI 1.4a, at least that is my story and I am sticking to it.

And before you go there, yeah I have a Harmony remote already downstairs for my big HT system, but actually the Onyko remote is easier to use and works much better than the Harmony. I use the Harmony but my system is so complex that it just doesn't work right, but hey, live and learn.:eek:

With your kind of system, you should have one remote like a Creston or some of the other good remotes with a touch screen. I am using a Universal MX3000. The programming is expensive for me because I have upgraded my equipment so much lately. It works well for me with my complex setup with two zones. I will not get into the programming I have, it does alot. They give me a break on programming, because I buy my equipment from the same dealer, and one of the owners does the programming for me the same day as the new equipment is set up. If I were to change remotes now, I would love to have a 7 or 8 inch touch screen like on the Creston. I purchased my remote a long time ago from another dealer. You should consider your remote as another component. A good remote for your system would be a minimum of $5000 and up. Most people do not spend for a good remote. I know my thinking was the same years ago, until my girlfriend could not handle all the remotes sitting on the table. I now realize how convenient it is just to have one good remote.

A $5000 remote system is cool and all, but honestly, unless you're doing whole house automation, there is nothing that you cannot do with a $500 remote. The only real advantage to going to a big dollar system is using serial connections for interfacing.

A $5000 remote system is cool and all, but honestly, unless you're doing whole house automation, there is nothing that you cannot do with a $500 remote. The only real advantage to going to a big dollar system is using serial connections for interfacing.

I am not good at programming. My remote retailed at about $1000 at the time. Programming additional. Depending on how you want your remote to work, and how many components you have, the cost can vary. Some remotes might be easier to program than mine. What makes the touch screen convenient for me, is say you push direct tv, it turns on that system, and on the screen are only items related to the direct tv. Than you can go to a second or third page, and it is only related to direct tv. Than if you want to listen to music, you go back to the main page by pushing one hard button at the bottom of the remote, that will get you to all the icons. Select the cd for example. The tv will turn off, and the cd comes on. Everthing that is on the screen is related to the cd only. With the second zone you can have FM on one zone, and cd on the second zone. I know all remotes will do this. It is much easier for me to see large on screen displays, rather than only small buttons on a narrow remote. After 50, I had to start wearing reading glasses. With the screen it just makes it easier. No reading glasses now.

Last edited:
Back