Could this be the Holy Grail of A/V processors?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to someone over at AVS, they received an e-mail from Denon stating a "late February" release date. Hopefully this is correct.

greg_slo,

Look forward to hearing what you find out from the Denon rep December 1st.

Seth

February is about right for me, as I plan to buy in March or April.

I even have a diagram on how it will integrate into the system.

Nice thing is it will simplify my setup, eliminating five or six boxes.

Now to find a dealer that will give a good deal. And keep fingers crossed the Audessy pro software will be 'user configurable'.

BTW- I'm still keeping the Meridian 568, as I can't give up TriField or Ambisonic decoding. Now I need to find a way to feed three x SPDIF into the Denon. Time to find info on DenonLink...

wow 14 grand for that combo? I ran thru the posts - I don't think I saw a watt spec.... I'm guessing the double taps on the back of the amp for multiple zones? It does look pretty cool --- but 14K? I like denon and all - but if I had that kind of dough to throw down on a pre-amp and an amp... I would definitely do some serious shopping - and I'm guessing I wouldn't get this.

Definitely way cool pics though - and it sure would be interesting to hear it in 2 channel analog pass thru mode...:) Ok - I'm a dinosaur!!!

I wish that the AVP-A1HD was available now as I'm ready to buy one. But I guess I would rather have them delay it until Feb. and make sure that everything they want in it is there (THX Ultra 2 Plus?) instead of rushing it to market. So I guess what's another 3 months wait right?

Now to find a dealer that will give a good deal. And keep fingers crossed the Audessy pro software will be 'user configurable'.

I'm checking into finding a dealer that will offer a good deal as well. Hopefully I will be able to get one for between $5k- $6k. If I have to pay full retail I will but I would rather get a bit of a price break.

Re Audyssey Pro, I have been reading on other forums that it is user configurable but one needs a special access code key to be able to do this. And from what I've heard only authorized dealers/calibrators have these. I will have to inquire about this to be sure.

Seth

wow 14 grand for that combo? I ran thru the posts - I don't think I saw a watt spec.... I'm guessing the double taps on the back of the amp for multiple zones? It does look pretty cool --- but 14K? I like denon and all - but if I had that kind of dough to throw down on a pre-amp and an amp... I would definitely do some serious shopping - and I'm guessing I wouldn't get this.

Definitely way cool pics though - and it sure would be interesting to hear it in 2 channel analog pass thru mode...:) Ok - I'm a dinosaur!!!

Yeah $14k for both isn't cheap, but if their experience with high end separates continues with these two new offerings, they should be well worth the price tag. Being that they incorporate a true balanced design probably accounts for part of the hefty price.

I know that $7k is a good chunk of change, but right now there is no pre/pro available or soon to be available that will offer everything that the Denon will for under the $10k mark. Simaudio is planing to release a new pre/pro that will do most of what the Denon will, but it's going to retail for $10k. Classe' is due to introduce a new pre/pro (SSP 900) that will also have "most" of what the Denon will have, but pricing is said to be somewhere in the $15k- $20k neighborhood.

And companies like Anthem and Parasound have mentioned nothing of new flagship models to compete with the Denon. If Anthem comes out with a D3 that will rival the Denon then I may have a tough time deciding between the two. But right now the Denon is the "only" game in town that will have all the goodies (most anyway), for $7k. Now if they will just release it and not push the release date back again. That would be great. For now all we can do is wait.

I ran thru the posts - I don't think I saw a watt spec....

10x 150W per channel 8Ω
10x 300W per channel 4Ω
5x 500W per channel 4Ω bridged

Seth

Last edited:
Re Audyssey Pro, I have been reading on other forums that it is user configurable but one needs a special access code key to be able to do this. And from what I've heard only authorized dealers/calibrators have these. I will have to inquire about this to be sure.

Seth

Yep, been reading and posting in those threads as well. I'm hoping they’ll 'authorize' users to have that software. If they don't, then no sale.

I mean, I tweak my existing speaker processors every couple of months, and at least every 18 months, I do something major that requires a top-to-bottom calibration. I'm not paying whatever a dealer/cal person would charge to probably do a worse job than I can.

Just like with a CRT front projector, which normally requires a trained calibrator to set up, I just taught myself 7 years ago how to do it by studying and practicing. Just this week, I got a PS3, whose games need a 720p setting in the G70 PJ, so I spent 3 hours configuring one. I got the full RGB registration to line up with only a couple of pixels off in the corners before going into the Zones for touch-up. No more than 5 clicks of zone on any setting. :cool:
(Anyone who’s done a full raw RGB registration config on a CRT knows that’s no cakewalk.)

So any new AVP will need to allow me full control of speaker and room calibration.
It’s one of the things I’ve really liked about Meridian gear, as they let anyone run their config software (which is far from intuitive, but works really well).

Yep, been reading and posting in those threads as well. I'm hoping they’ll 'authorize' users to have that software. If they don't, then no sale.

I mean, I tweak my existing speaker processors every couple of months, and at least every 18 months, I do something major that requires a top-to-bottom calibration. I'm not paying whatever a dealer/cal person would charge to probably do a worse job than I can.

Just like with a CRT front projector, which normally requires a trained calibrator to set up, I just taught myself 7 years ago how to do it by studying and practicing. Just this week, I got a PS3, whose games need a 720p setting in the G70 PJ, so I spent 3 hours configuring one. I got the full RGB registration to line up with only a couple of pixels off in the corners before going into the Zones for touch-up. No more than 5 clicks of zone on any setting. :cool:
(Anyone who’s done a full raw RGB registration config on a CRT knows that’s no cakewalk.)

So any new AVP will need to allow me full control of speaker and room calibration.
It’s one of the things I’ve really liked about Meridian gear, as they let anyone run their config software (which is far from intuitive, but works really well).

Yes I can totally understand why having a user configurable Audyssey Pro is important for you. For people like yourself who will likely change things fairly often, the option to calibrate yourself if a must.

For me on the other hand I pretty much plan on keeping everything just where it's at for some time. Maybe a couple of years down the road I might change something out. So a one time fee to have it done by an installer/calibrator is fine. But like you, I also would like the ability to do things myself. So while this is not a deal breaker for me, I can totally understand where you're coming from.

For me the biggest reasons I want to get the Denon AVP-A1HD is because of everything else it offers. Right now I have nothing that will switch a 1080p HDMI signal. I also cannot currently utilize HDMI 1.3 for bitstream DD TrueHD, DD Plus, DTS-HD, and DTS-HD-MA. The Denon has 6 HDMI 1.3 inputs, onboard decoding for all the new high resolution audio formats, and will allow me to stream FLAC, AAC Lossless, WMA Lossless, and WAV files from my PC. This will do everything I need in one box.

So if this Denon will not let users calibrate the Audyssey Pro system, which other pre/pro's might you have your eye on? I'm always open to other options as well. I wonder if there are any other manufacturers that are planing on bringing a pre/pro to market with all the goodies the Denon has, in the same $7k price range? One with a room correction system that is similar to Audyssey Pro, that "will" let users calibrate things themselves? If you hear or read of one please let me know because it might just be another option for me. :)

Seth

Seth, with regards to what other pre-pro's am I considering, my short list always has a Meridian on on it.

I've been patiently waiting for Meridian to update the G68 with full HDMI & advanced audio codec features. So far, that's been a bust.

My best guess is that I'd have to use a G68 for all the audio and get a Lumagen Radiance HD to handle video. The sum of those two is almost $10K and still runs behind the Denon in codec support.

So the Denon looks like a bargain.

I do insist on keeping Trifield and Ambisonic soundfield processing, and will keep the 568, so now I need to find a way to feed 3 x SPDIF signals as a 'multichannel' input to the Denon.

This Denon unit has me drooling. However, when calculating the "street price" we oughtta factor in another $1000+ to fly JonFo in for a weekend to set it up for those of us thinking of buying one! Certainly looks daunting to me!

Just wondering, how does Yamaha's proprietary YPAO system compare to the Audyssey? Is it even in the same ballpark?

Seth, with regards to what other pre-pro's am I considering, my short list always has a Meridian on on it.

I've been patiently waiting for Meridian to update the G68 with full HDMI & advanced audio codec features. So far, that's been a bust.

My best guess is that I'd have to use a G68 for all the audio and get a Lumagen Radiance HD to handle video. The sum of those two is almost $10K and still runs behind the Denon in codec support.

So the Denon looks like a bargain.

I do insist on keeping Trifield and Ambisonic soundfield processing, and will keep the 568, so now I need to find a way to feed 3 x SPDIF signals as a 'multichannel' input to the Denon.

Yes Meridian is going to be hard to beat for the Trifield and Ambisonics, but if or when Meridian does come out with a pre/pro that will offer what the Denon has, I'm sure it'll be between $20k- $25k. I know that Krell has a new pre/pro soon to be introduced from their Evolution line of ultra high end separates. It's price tag is $18,500.

So yes the Denon does indeed look like a bargain. No word from Anthem but I wonder if they have a D3 in the works? What are your thoughts on Anthem?

Seth

This Denon unit has me drooling. However, when calculating the "street price" we oughtta factor in another $1000+ to fly JonFo in for a weekend to set it up for those of us thinking of buying one! Certainly looks daunting to me!

This Denon unit also has me drooling.;) Yes we definitely have to figure in another $1000+ to have JonFo setup this behemoth of a pre/pro.:) Yes it does look daunting to setup. But hey that's part of the fun, or should I say frustration.:banghead:

Seth

Last edited:
Hi Alan,

Cool suggestion, that way I get to visit with all my friends and see their systems :cool:

Actually, for the money Denon is charging, they have built-in enough dealer kick-back or profit to cover the initial installation costs. So expect them to come out to your place, hook it up and run through the initial setup. They have a special version of the Audessey software and a calibrated mic they will bring out and do this with.

Meridian does this as well, which is why if you get to know your dealer well, and they know you won't need them to install or support it after-the-sale, then you can get pretty good discounts.

Just wondering, how does Yamaha's proprietary YPAO system compare to the Audessey? Is it even in the same ballpark?

Like softball and baseball, not in the same ballpark. Conceptually, they both do basic speaker setup (distance, size, etc.) and some EQ.
The Audessey, especially the Pro version included in the this preamp, is very different and more akin to what the DEQX system does in that it supports multiple (32) mic measurement points (a requirement really for any half-way decent EQ job) and target curves, manual overrides and all kinds of cool stuff you can read more about here: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multEQPro.html

BTW- for those interested in gaining the benefits of Audessey MultEQ Pro, you can now get it in this stand-alone device: http://www.audyssey.com/soundequalizer/index.html

If you have separates, and a 5.1 or 7.1 system, I guarantee this will transform your system in ways only a full room treatment could even approximate. And even if your room is treated, this will take it to the next level. Get a demo of room correction from them, DEQX, TacT or Meridian (MRC), you’ll be amazed at what they can do for room modes and speaker phase alignment.

Check out this awsome review of MultEQ XT: http://avreviews.avforums.com/index.php?reviewid=5&pageid=1

My favorite quote:

Don’t even consider buying another piece of equipment until you hear this unit, this will be the biggest and most cost effective upgrade you will ever make to your system……period.

Last edited:
The Audessey, especially the Pro version included in the this preamp, is very different and more akin to what the DEQX system does in that it supports multiple (32) mic measurement points (a requirement really for any half-way decent EQ job) and target curves, manual overrides and all kinds of cool stuff you can read more about here: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multEQPro.html

BTW- for those interested in gaining the benefits of Audessey MultEQ Pro, you can now get it in this stand-alone device: http://www.audyssey.com/soundequalizer/index.html

If you have separates, and a 5.1 or 7.1 system, I guarantee this will transform your system in ways only a full room treatment could even approximate. And even if your room is treated, this will take it to the next level. Get a demo of room correction from them, DEQX, TacT or Meridian (MRC), you’ll be amazed at what they can do for room modes and speaker phase alignment.

Check out this awsome review of MultEQ XT: http://avreviews.avforums.com/index.php?reviewid=5&pageid=1

My favorite quote:

I am really looking forward to trying out the Audyssey that this new Denon will have. I think my setup sounds pretty amazing as it is now, so I can only imagine what this very sophisticated EQ system will do. Now it's just a matter of getting an AVP-A1HD.:) I really hope it debuts early next year.

Thanks for sharing all the info.

Seth

I just received an e-mail from a dealer (Listen Up) and they told me that the Denon AVP-A1HD is scheduled for a late January release. Although this store doesn't really discount on new items, they are going to have the Denon available for a pre-order very soon.

Hi-Def player(s)

unfortunately the rep for the store i work could not make it due to an emergency of unknown origin. so no gritty details just yet, but early january sounds exciting.

not sure if this was mentioned earlier or not, but there will be two models from what my boss tells me. if you are familiar with the current denon sd dvd line, kinda like a 1930 and 3930. heard prices of around 1200 and 2000 retail

~greg

Thanks for letting us know :) It would have been nice if the Denon rep had been able to show, but sometimes unforeseen events can happen.

I hope that Denon stays on course with the tentative Jan release on the AVP-A1HD. I know I am chomping at the bit to get one. :)

Yes, the two Blu-ray players that Denon is coming out with are going to be awesome! One will be a transport only with no internal decoding and the other will have all the bells and whistles. Both of course will allow a bitstream signal via HDMI 1.3 for decoding DD TrueHD, DD Plus, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA in a compatible receiver/pre-pro.

Seth

Here's a look at what this bad boy has under the hood. No wonder it weighs in at 60 lbs!

avpa1hdinsidelrg.jpg

Mmm, yummy, nice hardware p0rn there STV.

Well, for that kind of money, one expects good build quality. If I get this piece, I expect it to stay in the rack for anywhere from 5 to ten years.

Mmm, yummy, nice hardware p0rn there STV.

Well, for that kind of money, one expects good build quality. If I get this piece, I expect it to stay in the rack for anywhere from 5 to ten years.

Yeah it is definitely some nice eye candy.:)

When I get this pre/pro, like you, I also plan on using it for a very long time. What's really nice with this product is their forward thinking design. With everything they included in there it should stay current technology wise for many years. I don't see me having to (or wanting to) change it out for at least the next 7 years.

So now the only thing is actually getting one. I really hope that it does release in January. Hopefully there will be more info about this at CES.

I am really looking forward to using the Denon's Wi-Fi capabilities. Being able to stream lossless music from my PC's iTunes library is going to be sweet!

Seth

Back