What HT Processors are users using?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron,

I hear what you are saying. I have been involved with software development for the last 30 plus years. I have done it always from a users perspective and so I am a bit more critical of software than most.

One of my developers recommended the Harmony for my main system, he loves it but he is a programmer by trade, I am not, I am a user and inventor by trade. I did not like the Harmony for many reasons, not the least of which was its programming interface and then with the complexity of my main system it could not be programmed to make it work the way I wanted, not to mentinon the screen is too small to read without reading glasses. So as a result, at least from a users perspective the Harmony just doesn't work for me. Now granted I am old and feeble, but I like technology and I am often times the first in the coutnry or world in some cases to adopt new technology and often times that makes it kind of hard to do what you need to do to control all of it.:D

I also should have mentioned that I have 3 separate HT systems, two of those systems are off limits to anyone but me, so a universal remote is not a requirement and although I am using a Harmony on the main system it just doesn't work like I would like it to work and it can't because of the complexity of the system. The system upstairs is really for my wife and and the Onyko/Integra does everything it needs to control the system from a single remote. And that system is simple enough the Harmony could even do the job, but the Onyko was included with the AV reveiver, so it was free, wink, wink, nod, nod.:D

Hocky,

I appreciate your concern for my 3D addiction, but I think I am going to be okay, okay, okay.

I wouldn't be so sure about the demise of 3D. 3D gaming, 3D movies, 3D TV programming and most importantly consumer 3D photography and video will have a significant impact on driving the market in general.

I got a Fuji W-1 3D HD camera a little over a month ago and both the 3D pictures and video are so far above 2D that I have discontinued shooting just 2D. And I should have a the new Panny 3D HD camera in the next few weeks.

And btw you can now view 3D on small stereogrphic screens without glasses or with shutter glasses on big screen 3DTVs or 3D very large screen projectors. I think as the cost of stereographic screens comes down and the size goes up along with the cost of lenticular printers coming down, the corresponding need for glasses will diminish and 3D will surge even more.

Last night, I went to the movies and saw Inception at the IMAX, unfortunately it was in 2D and I was disappointed. I am afraid Avatar has changed the way I will see movies from here on out. The good news is that all 4 of the coming attaction trailers were in 3D. Oh and just so you know, the Panny 3Dtv was judged the best 2D tv and has an amazing 2D picture but the 3D image of 6 hummingbirds hovering in the room with you, well that has to be seen to be believed.:D

I have a few 3D TV's and understand, but I still thinks it is a gimmick and will disappear. I won't watch movies in 3D - there are too often many sacrifices in PQ. Time will tell.

I use the awesome Denon AVP-A1HD preamp.

12 channels of dual-differential balanced outputs on XLR, Audyssey Pro, and tons and tons of inputs. Superb Realta scaler is icing on the cake.

It is first class piece of gear, super reliable and top notch audio (and video) performance.

One of the best sounding if not the best sounding processors out there!

I had been following Jon Fo's Denon adventures and had sold my Denon 3808CI receiver to buy one when I came across a deal I couldn't pass up.I'm now using the Classe SSP-800. Excellent sounding unit in both 2 channel and multi channel. Love the balanced XLR inputs/outputs throughout.

OP may benefit from auditioning the ARCAM AV888. The predecessor, the AV9, was superb, and the AV888 has "upped the ante" a bit...

I believe it has all the features you desire, as well as splendid performance.

Just a thought...

onkyo pro 885 for several years. I found that using a Dspeaker antibmode 8033 has helped with some serious low frequencies modes in my room that Audyssey multi eq in my onkyo pre pro could not handle. I did the anti mode first than the Audyssey-

sub = Descent i

joel

Cary 11A

I didn't see any one mention the Cary 11A unit.

I've seen/heard a lot of good things about the 11A. Home Theater Magazine loved it and recently put it on its recommended list. I have seen other positive reviews as well. Stereophile also has it on the recommended list.

As audi gear goes in multi-channel, the $4,000 list price seems "average".

Any one using the 11A?

JM

I'm using the awesome Meridian G68 Surround Controller. Very happy with it. Now if I could just find a good deal on the HD621 HDMI Audio Processor, I would be set. (Unfortunately, Meridian was a little slow to the game on HDMI).

processor

I am using the Lexicon MC12 since the day it was introduced and have been very happy with it. It is currently the Version 5 with room eq. Sounds great and so far been very reliable.

Here's a second vote for the Meridian G68 with HD621. Great sound, Great quality but to fully integrate into the HDMI world the HD621 is necessary. I bought both units and then said "I paid that much for that little box." But then when you connect something like the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player the money comes back to you in spades.

I also run a Classé SSP-800 and I'm SUPER happy with it driving my ML setup.
Fully balanced design and 2 HDMI out so I can have it connected both to the TV and projector at the same time without having to swap cables or use an external HDMI switch.
Oh yea, and it sounds AWESOME :)

I have owned the Krell S1200 U for about a year now (in black) and could not be any happier with it! The sound is totally 3 dimensional and has so much air and depth as compared to my old processor (the antiquated Theta Casa Nova, which I sold to a guy in France!). It is built like a tank and easy to operate. My first piece of Krell gear and hopefully not my last! Excellent surround modes as well for music an movies. Yes a little (alot) expensive, but that is just the name of the game of this wonderful obsession of ours!:music:

Oh, almost forgot, (4) CLXs plus Stage, and a JL Audio Gotham bringing up the bottom end. :D

Life sure is rough...Two pairs of CLX's in one room in one system? I think it's fair to say many of us here would be overwhelmed with joy to own one pair of CLX's.

Just today I've acquired my second ever pair of CLSiiz's but I'm delighted because they're a color other than the standard oak that so often appear for sale and having been produced in mid 2001 they're one of the last pairs ever produced. Plus the sale came with a pair of Arcici stands, which I never owned for my former CLS's. Anyone reading this owning CLS' and Arcici stands, stand by as I might need some assistance in getting these properly assembled once they arrive.

Congrats on a killer system there JMAUSGP!

Integra dhc 80.2 with Bryston amps works great in my system. Audyssey xt32 is really quite good and the ability to properly integrate 2 subs makes movies a vibrant experience. SACDs sound great and the new integra does well with stereo from my

Vantage , cinema I , nht dipoles, descent I, and an old Dahlquist 1 w. Audessy gets all to match timbre for all very well. The two different subs are also handled very well by the xt32 system.

I have owned the Krell S1200 U for about a year now (in black) and could not be any happier with it! The sound is totally 3 dimensional and has so much air and depth as compared to my old processor (the antiquated Theta Casa Nova, which I sold to a guy in France!). It is built like a tank and easy to operate. My first piece of Krell gear and hopefully not my last! Excellent surround modes as well for music an movies. Yes a little (alot) expensive, but that is just the name of the game of this wonderful obsession of ours!:music:

Are you planning to upgrade the unit with the new 3D upgrade that Krell if offering? I have the unit and am wondering if the upgrade is worth it?

I have a few 3D TV's and understand, but I still thinks it is a gimmick and will disappear. I won't watch movies in 3D - there are too often many sacrifices in PQ. Time will tell.

I am a fan of 3D as well but have mixed feelings of it's success. My wife hated the idea of wearing glasses but after trying them on and watching a couple of movies, the enjoyment of 3D outweighed the glasses. It's great watching my almost 3-year old jump back when the face is coming at him in Despicable Me.

Big issue I see is glasses are not standardized and expensive. Make them universal and cost $20 then I'd buy 30 of them for a party. Eventually it should happen question is before or after the hype dies.

2nd issue is properly developing/filming 3D content is still new, so all of it isn't great.

3D PS3 games are fun, though they are pretty low key about it.

As for processor... I use a sunfire TGP-4. Unsure how it compares as i haven't tried tons of gear out.

Hocky,

I got a Fuji W-1 3D HD camera a little over a month ago and both the 3D pictures and video are so far above 2D that I have discontinued shooting just 2D. And I should have a the new Panny 3D HD camera in the next few weeks.

And btw you can now view 3D on small stereogrphic screens without glasses or with shutter glasses on big screen 3DTVs or 3D very large screen projectors. I think as the cost of stereographic screens comes down and the size goes up along with the cost of lenticular printers coming down, the corresponding need for glasses will diminish and 3D will surge even more.

I have been dabbling with the idea of getting the Fuji.

How do you like it?
How does it connect to a 3d tv?

I read you can develop 5x7 3d pics....have you tried it?

HT Processor

Hi Folks

Would love to hear from some of the HT aficionados on what processors they are using? I have been using a Parasound C2 for multichannel and a tube TADAC pre-amp for 2 channel, and a DVDO edge for video processing. I have both a projector and a plasma (projector drops in front of the plasma). I've loved the above combo's performance but the damn DVDO is so unreliable I am now looking to throw it and the Parasound out and get an HDMI processor with dual HDMI output. It would drive a 7.1 Summit, Stage, Script i system. 2 channel amps are Bel Canto reference 1000s and rest of speakers are driven by a B&K 7270

Any advice based on what is working for you with your Logans ? My needs are:
1) Great sound, ideally with room correction
2) Dual HDMI outputs
3) 2 Zones (or more)
4) Digital pass through which I would feed to my TADAC for 2 channel listening

Probably a 5k or so budget

thanks
adanny

Like most of the respondents, I have a 2.1/5.1 system. I have been using a Lexicon MC 12B HD-eq for the past 3 years and have been quite pleased. I am running it through a Pass Labs XP-20 preamp which has a theater bypass input that allows the Lexicon to control system volume when it is being used. The only downside for your purposes is that it lacks a dual HDMI out. On the other hand, it has great room equalization function, superb sound, is built like a tank and can accommodate more peripherals than Carter has little liver pills. It is also super easy to set up. You could probably find one on the used market for your price point since it only has HDMI 1.3.

I use an Emotiva UMC-1 and Emotiva XPA5 with my Martin Logan Vantage and Motif center channel. Very pleased with this combination.

-CB

Back