CLS Bound ............A trip to KC for pick up..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C.A.P.

That aged color and the flame pattern in some of the Walnut is stunning.

You were obviously struck immediately with the sound of the CLS's.

I am not sure who made the comment here on the forum but it's like sitting in a small to medium size club about 3 tables away listening to the band. The width and depth of the image and staging is amazing

Take your time and be patient with their adjustment. Be sure they are both set up as close to exactly the same with each other as possible. Very small adjustments make a huge difference in their sound.

As you mentioned raised them up off the floor ASAP.

Keep us up to date with your progress

C.A.P.

That aged color and the flame pattern in some of the Walnut is stunning.

You were obviously struck immediately with the sound of the CLS's.

I am not sure who made the comment here on the forum but it's like sitting in a small to medium size club about 3 tables away listening to the band. The width and depth of the image and staging is amazing

Take your time and be patient with their adjustment. Be sure they are both set up as close to exactly the same with each other as possible. Very small adjustments make a huge difference in their sound.

As you mentioned raised them up off the floor ASAP.

Keep us up to date with your progress

Man , you hit the nail on the head with the flame figuring. These things have several different looks to them depending on the time of day. Adjustments to these things is so finesse that even 1 inch difference between the two can throw it off. When its right its so right! I am playing with some quick(temporary ) stands Ill post pics in a few ! Back to listening :music:

My attempt at some stands .....

I was playing today and I wanted to get these CLS up off the ground and see whats the big deal. Well I used some real High Tech stands to get a feel for them.

I definitely agree they have to be elevated a bit. It opens up the stage even more and detail becomes even more precise. The image gets wider and bas is a bit more solid. May bee Ill patent this design :banana:

I also added a new tweak to the panel to help control resonance. This was done to my Quest panels and helped a lot. Its 1/4 x 3/4 wide inch Neoprene foam, I applied it along the back of the panel all the way down the side closest to the wood frame. You can not see it from the front as the wood covers it in the front. It tames the panel vibrations. I posted a close up of it on my hand for reference.

Attachments

• S6301766 (Small) (2).JPG
    S6301766 (Small) (2).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 177
  • S6301768 (Small).JPG
    S6301768 (Small).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 176
  • S6301774 (Small).JPG
    S6301774 (Small).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 181
There ya go! Now you need to brace the tops of those frames so they don't move backward/forward (I originally ran a 5' piece of aluminum tube from the top of the frame to the back wall) and see what that does for your image! Then I got the Sound Anchors!!

CAP, I like your speakers. The one thing I liked about the CLS,they were simple looking,very good aesthetics. I hope the new twin panel CLX looks just as seemless as the one panel CLS.

Tools of tthe trade ............

OK I decided I was gonna give these CLS the room they needed to breath. I moved all my furniture aside and some out of the room. I got out my SPL meter and my trusty blue tape along with my high tech stands.

I opted for a wider stance as everything was out of the room. MAN WAS IT GOOD! These things love to be spread out to breath. I moved my chair as far back as it has ever been. However; when all was said and done it was perfect.

I was tweaking for the better part of the day. I had to leave to do a few errands and when I came back I decided to move furniture out and do a quick fire place plug. I had a bad phase shift that I couldn't get rid of. I thought it was from the big opening there. The Blanket was a crutch. I took a piece of 3/4 ply and covered it in a blanket and put it flush against opening of the fireplace,(it is a temporary, but working solution to this problem, IT WORKS ) . I can tell you this. The image went dead center . NEVER have I had such a wide sound stage that had vocals dead center.

A few words to the average audiophile thinking of CLS . You better have room to breath. (Not to say they wont do great in small rooms , Its you are not getting all you can). OK, Now to the good stuff. These will be on stands as most have recommended. In my room I tried several temporary stands(as you can see my patent stands) and found that 9 inches from the ground to the bottom of the wood frame results in damn near PERFECTION. I tried the 12 inch as I was gonna go with the Sound Anchors. but My fire place plays a big role in the acoustics of the room. The opening needs and will have a plug to cover the opening. I made a temporary one with Ply wood and a blanket., I will build a new one soon.

The sound I got tonight was the best I have heard, EVER heard with 2 Channel. Stereo. The CLS blend so well with the sub that its scary. The larger room and the open space allow them to breath. A couch and a chair here and there will really mud things up. You may not think so but they are sound absorbers.

This new positioning of my room may take some remodeling elements to get the best out of the CLS. The one thing I have found is that they are not a multiple person speaker. they love only one person. They are faithful to that person in the sweet spot. WHILE IN THAT SPOT IS LIKE BEING IN HEAVEN !

Here are my tonights pics .

Attachments

• S6301800 (Small).JPG
    S6301800 (Small).JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 343
  • S6301796 (Small).JPG
    S6301796 (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 339
  • S6301802 (Small).JPG
    S6301802 (Small).JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 338
:wow:

STUNNING!! You better hang on to those forever!

:p....... C.A.P's New and improved CLS stands. They not only sound better but they give the illusion of getting something done around the house.

(wife) What are you doing???:confused:

;) Ahhhh... honey does this green look better than the red? I think Ill sit down and get a good feel for them all..... maybe the tan with the traps ....I mean the drapes:D

Glad to hear you have found Nirvana. CLS's are amazing.

The other thing I see you have you have discovered is the little known beer bottle and wine glass tweak. Works every time.

Measured distances/room size?

Just wondering on your CLS positioning, listening position (old barber chair, with variable height?), and the room dimensions.

"Enquirering minds want to know !"

OK , I like the Idea , Can you translate that article?

Oh I agree with you, Neil on the one good sub deal. I just was curious about the build. I am not a Dipole bass type of guy. I had them with Carver ribbons . Its to rolled off for me ! But to each his own !

Oh I agree with you, Neil on the one good sub deal. I just was curious about the build. I am not a Dipole bass type of guy. I had them with Carver ribbons . Its to rolled off for me ! But to each his own !
Chris, Siegfried Linkwitz is the king of dipole subwoofer design. Google < linkwitz subwoofer > and blow a few hours;)

As for the CLS/Depth phenomenon, well, to begin with, it's a rather unorthodox (or at least atypical) use of a subwoofer (in the sense that only a small portion of its performance capability is being deployed.) And the fact that it works so well with the CLS has to be serendipitous, rather than intentional on the part of ML. Even when the CLS was in production, ML allowed third parties to come up with low frequency solutions for the CLS -- notably Muse and Kinergetics. Interestingly, it wasn't until they finally electrified the woofers in their hybrids (Summit and Vantage) that they got serious about subs :confused: I say finally because ML speakers always needed AC, so I figured 'When are they going to put the amps in? Duh!" Oh well, whatever . . . . . I suppose the ML subwoofer development had more to do with the HT market than anything else.

Getting back to the CLS/Depth thing. I assume that like myself, the first thing people noticed was the "pulsating group" of three evenly arranged woofers -- reminded me a bit of the speaker clusters atop prison guard towers ;-) -- they had an omnidirectional radiation pattern. Well you say, so do downfiring subs. True. But in the ML design, all enclosure resonances are cancelled out because of the driver layout (the top and bottom can resonate, but they're so thick and small that they aint goin' anywhere ;-) And then you take a look at those drivers :eek:, with a "cone" that is 80% surround!, and suddenly you realize: this whole device was designed for TRANSIENTS!! And if you want to help out a stat's bottom, it's transients or nothing!

This issue may not be obvious to many, but when the CLS debuted, there we just a couple of fast subs: the Entec (which had just folded) and the Hartley, that Mark Levinson used along with a Decca super-tweeter (the HQD system) in an attempt to turn the Quad 57 into a full-range electrostat :D !! Since even those subs were not available to me, I listened (to everything), and finally settled on a pair of Wilson Puppies. And they were fast enough, wow!! So let's see, the 2 Puppies + a Levinson 23.5 SS amp + a Bryston 10B electronic crossover + IC's/SPKR cables X 2, and that little extra bit of lower register came to (are you ready?) $13,000 1990 dollars!! Now that's just not right! And it didn't solve the placement problem either.

The Depth/Descent incorporate servo feedback (first used in the Infinity Servo-Statik back in the late seventies) with a (virtual ) infinitely rigid enclosure and a phase-neutral projection pattern and onboard amp(s). They perform almost like dipole woofers, but without the rear wave, and that is their magic, because you can place them almost anywhere and match them to the panels' phase at that location. But as with all things, there is an optimum, and it's smack between the panels @ 90 degree phase angle -- that's a compromise halfway between the front of the panel (0 deg. phase angle) and the back of the panel (180 deg. phase angle) :bowdown:

Last edited:
Utbygd med to DIY dipol subwoofere hver
med 4 stk. 12" basselementer. Subbene er
bygget som dobble Gradient SUB-63 med
samme elementer og samme aktive delefilter/
EQ - produsert av GamuT.

Extended with do it yourself dipole subwoofers, each 4 x 12" bass drivers.
The subs are built as double Gradient SUB-63 woofers with same elements and same active crossover/eq produced by GamuT.
Price app. US 13700,-
Expensive, but quite impressive.

Depth Charge!!

BTW, here is my humble recommendation for a disc that really demonstrates from top to bottom, (not just bottom;)) the spectacular performance possible with a properly balanced/adjusted CLS/Depth combo:

The Original Motion Picture Score to the film 'American Beauty' by Thomas Newman (Randy's nephew) Dreamworks Records 0044-50233-2
Please note: do not buy the "Original Soundtrack" recording. That sucks!

LOL I just watched that again this >AM. "I rule " I love that when he realizes he doesn't have to take shit any more !

Other records with a wide freq range are:

Return to neverland
Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter
Trijntje Oosterhuis - The Look of Love
Jamiroquai - The return of The Space Cowboy
Chris Jones - Roadhouses and Automobiles (Stockfisch Records)

GD

Back