Wires

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojomtn

Reaction score
What kind of speaker wires should I use for my surrounds? Where do I buy them? Cheap yet safe is what Im looking for. Better yet, what do you use on yours? Been reading some reviews on wires and Im leaning towards not believing the hype of expensive wires

When I wired my basement HT, I used Monster 16 gage CL from Crutchfield which at the time was pretty inexpensive. The CL defines an inwall cable if I recall. I also believe that Jonathan used BlueJeans in his room when he wired it up.

On my 2 channel rig, I've tried several brands and all of them brought varying degrees of improvement or disimprovement if that's a word.:D Wires are a very personal decision. Some believe, some don't. You'll never know until you at least try.

Gordon Gray recommended Mapleshades Golden Helix to me when I first entered the land of ML and I found them to be a superb improvement over the no names I was using. I've since moved on to try others but the MS is a solid recommendation in my opinion.

Gordon

Some budget speaker wire include: Blue Jean Cable, Signal Cable or if looking used, Kimber or Audioquest.

Will look at these brands too. I was eyeing the monster super flat 16 gauge due to cosmetic reasons alone. Have you tried these?

Bluejeans.com all the way. You will be amazed at the quality/price ratio. They use huge copper strands compared to the highly wound stuff like monster, etc. Check it out.

Nordost makes some very flat but solid core teflon covered wire that's available by the spool and is reasonably priced but more expensive than monster. Since the insulation is teflon you can't paint it but it is easy to hide. Great stuff if you can find it and even thinner/flatter than the Monster superflat. Excellent for running under a carpet since it is so flat.

The rear surrounds usually require long runs so don't skimp on the guage. 14 guage should do it most cases and solid core supposedly a good match for electrostats.

There have been some lengthy in-depth discussions on the topic of solid core vs multistrand wire and everything in between. These discussions go into detail on how these types interact with electrostatic speakers.

You'll probably find more detailed info by searching through the threads and using the search function.

so whats better solid or stranded cable?

I don't think it's that simple, as there are other variables involved. There are good (and probably bad) examples of each.

That said, my reference cables (both IC and speaker) are Nordost Frey, and they're multiple (individually insulated) solid core. In tests I've performed for myself, I've usually prefered solid cores, but I wouldn't necessarily attribute that to the cable topology (although that might be a contributing factor).

thanks for the reply. i was fishing for opinions, as we all know you can search these matters of old via the search function, but i prefer a relatively realtime response from the folks who are participating in the forum now.

ive been thinking about changing my cables just to change a bit, so when i saw this thread i had to ask...im using all silver right now and am thinking a matching set of copper might be a nice contrast.

and since the topic is sort of vast ill pitch this too; how many here like to make DIY cables and how many prefer the already ready already (purchased) cables? and why? i imagine i know why the folks buying cables prefer them, but i wonder about thoughts on the DIY folks.

Thanks craig, tsmooth and all. Im kinda concerned about the 12 gauge bluejeans not being able to fit through the holes of the connects at the back of my speakers. but I guess I could just twist em around right? Plus the 12white might not be able to fit under my baseboard. Havent seen nordost yet but if its alot more expensive than monster then its a negative. will check them out though. Im convinced on larger gauge=faster conduction because of the fact that larger nerve axon diameter = faster conduction to its respective muscle (something Im more familiar with). However im still at loss on how faster conduction would mean better sound quality since the premise of comparison is not the same. quantitative vs qualitative. I still need enlightenment on the subject. Having said all that, I do notice a very slight lag between the opening of the actors mouth on TV to the actual hearing of the words through the speakers. This may be another good reason for going bigger gauge. Sometimes I have a prob posting here. After writing so much stuff and clicking submit, the next page asks me to log in even though I was already logged in. Then when I do log in again, the page turns blank and everything I wrote is gone. Bummer. troubleshooting?

By the way Jim I did find a stone place here but they claim they dont cut. Plus choosing which stone is kinda hard with all that snow on top. They had red flagstone. Will still search when its warmer. Plus how did they cut yours and yet make it still look so natural? Hammer and chisel?

By the way Jim I did find a stone place here but they claim they dont cut. Plus choosing which stone is kinda hard with all that snow on top. They had red flagstone. Will still search when its warmer. Plus how did they cut yours and yet make it still look so natural? Hammer and chisel?
a large machine that looks like a giant press, but didnt actually watch them cut them.

Sometimes I have a prob posting here. After writing so much stuff and clicking submit, the next page asks me to log in even though I was already logged in. Then when I do log in again, the page turns blank and everything I wrote is gone. Bummer. troubleshooting?

Click on Review post first. Then if you time out, your post isn't lost and you can log back in.

Gordon

got that jim & gordon. i saw 14 gauge ge wires 100ft for $25 at home depot and I am considering it vs the bluejeans 12 gauge 12white 100 ft for $69. May I have your thoughts on this move since my encore surrounds will arrive tommorrow. I just need 50 ft for each surround. By the way, just watched Michael Jacksons "This is it". My son and I were moonwalking all over the place coz of the preface. I know these are entry level only but its a heck of a jump from TV speakers.

JJ, I'll be honest with you. Several months back I was doing some experimenting in my room for gear placement. I needed some long front speaker wires. I tried the outdoor wire used for 12 volt systems. The 12 gage worked pretty well and I was quite surprised by the performance.

Gordon

JJ, I'll be honest with you. Several months back I was doing some experimenting in my room for gear placement. I needed some long front speaker wires. I tried the outdoor wire used for 12 volt systems. The 12 gage worked pretty well and I was quite surprised by the performance.

Gordon
Are you sure it was 12 gauge? I thought that 12-volt systems were usually supplied with 16 gauge wire.

I just ordered the 12 white from bluejeans. Mainly because it was generally suggested from sites that for 4 ohm speakers with a wire lenght of 50 ft, 12 gauge is the way to go. Plus I could not find 12 gauge wires that were cheaper and white. Besides plenty suggested it here. If it doesnt fit under my baseboard I'll just run it under my basement ceiling then go up again towards the speakers.

It was suggested that surrounds should be around 5 ft in height. Can I place it about 6 1/2 ft instead then just angle it downwards so as to pointing towards my ear? what are your thoughts. Still waiting for that motion series review.

jojomtn, related to connections to the speakers may want to check out Belkin PureAV AV54006 Do-It-Yourself Gold Speaker Spades, 4-Pack (amazon around $12 for a 4 pack). Also may want to check out monoprice.com for HT installation gear. I have placed multiple orders with them and find quality/price point and tech service via chat rooms to be very good (read patient with newbie DYI'ers). Don't know enough to answer your question on surrounds. I am placing my speaker outlets at 5 ft, and then planning on experimenting with the sound before I commit to a mounting location.

Wow I wished I had learned about monoprice sooner before I placed my blue jeans order. Monoprice is almost half the price as to what BJC is. However Ive read from forums that cheap cable have reactive dielectric which leads to oxidation after only a few years. Im thinking that this may be the case with monoprice. Can anyone comment on blue jeans VS monoprice 12 gauge speaker wires? I think this would be a good new thread

Latest posts

Back