When truth is not truth

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Just me stirring the pot again.

I'm prompted to post this after watching the Women's Finals at the US Open.

I'm a big tennis fan and think it is the most demanding of all sports mentally and physically. As some of you may know, Serena Williams (SR) lost to a very talented and composed 20 year old Japanese challenger last Saturday. She received three code violations for her coach trying to coach her with hand signals; slamming and breaking her racket after being broken in the second set; and for her emotional outburst (verbal abuse) directed at the chair umpire after the umpire docked her a game. She then defends her actions claiming sex discrimination and questioning the double standard (how males and females are treated) that still exists in many areas of the world.

I do not disagree with this double standard issue. But, all three violations did happen and the chair umpire followed protocol in prescribing the penalties. The umpire has taken similar disciplinary action (in the past) against her male counterparts including Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray and has a reputation for minimal tolerance for code violations.

In addition, this is not the first incident with SR's behavior at the US Open. Several years ago, she was called for a "foot fault" by a female lines linesperson. She went into her rant mode and said to the linesperson (amongst other insults) "I will shove this tennis ball down your fuc..ng throat". Yes, film showed that she did, in fact, commit a foot fault.

So now this is being spun as gender and sex discrimination, etc.

To the point of the thread and potential discussion, why can't people simply accept responsibility for their actions, admit the truth (the facts), accept the consequences and move on versus spinning it into "I am the victim" and other nefarious claims. :devil:

Gordon

Gordon, while I never saw the event (too busy watching paint drying) all I can say is, just another spoiled athlete. Correct me if I'm wrong, she was handed some trivial fine ?? all but meaningless I suppose ............

.............and now we have Colin Kaperdick and Nike getting married, while I don't own any of their overpriced garbage I can only hope they lose their shirt !

Gordon, while I never saw the event (too busy watching paint drying) all I can say is, just another spoiled athlete. Correct me if I'm wrong, she was handed some trivial fine ?? all but meaningless I suppose ............

.............and now we have Colin Kaperdick and Nike getting married, while I don't own any of their overpriced garbage I can only hope they lose their shirt !

I think Nike made a ballsy move that will pay off for them.

I've seen a lot of people making very public displays of purchasing Nike's just because of this.

DmWlxKxWsAEB3xG.jpg

Gordon,

I agree with your thoughts and don't understand this as well.

In my personal experience admitting fault allows everyone to move on and most people appreciate when someone can accept matters even when they don't go their way.

They have a right to have that viewpoint, but I served my time in the Army and it doesn't phase me at all. I think they are being snowflakes about this and making a big deal out of a peaceful statement which is part of what makes this country great and is part of what the military defends. Of course it also defends their right to have a viewpoint which you agree with.

Why aren't the people who are going ballistic publicly and making a big stink over nothing not being classified as attention seekers?

It's all viewpoint and I hope Nike cleans up because of taking a stance like this. Frankly they are playing to their audience who will probably just buy more product to support them.

Last edited:
The problem is that black men are shot for no reason or any provocation over and over and over again. The problem is not getting better and it is disproportionate. I only know one police officer personally and I think he is a great guy and I couldn't say a bad thing about him, but police have a bad track record of protecting officers who have killed for no reason and even if they are let go, they easily find work as police officers somewhere else adding insult to injury.

This is a reoccurring serious issue that is not being dealt with.

Police need better training, but instead we dump weapons on them or even give them tanks and heavy assault gear. Explain how that is helping the situation.

Really Mark, that is your response.

How about one of your long dissertations on say black on black shootings in Chicago where hundreds are shot or killed each month. Where are Barack, Jessie or Al who rail at any shooting involving blacks and whites. Oh thats right for Jessie and Al there is no more money to be sucked out of the system for those racists.

Really Mark, that is your response.

It is. The statistics on gun death is pretty bad all around. Lots of people dying.

More Black people die by guns in homicide by a huge margin, per 100,000. ( almost a 15:1 ratio )

United States white 2.10 vs black 29.12 difference 27.02

More white people die by suicide, per 100,000 ( almost a 3:1 ratio )

United States white 14.34 vs black 5.41 difference 8.93

To be fair police are killing a lot of unarmed civilians who are posing no threat including white women in bathrobes who called in a disturbance and unresponsive autistic children. It is a serious problem all around that absolutely needs to be addressed. Black people are just getting the lion's share of it.

Last edited:
??? ..... not sure what you mean Brad

To see that Law Enforcement will take a stand for themselves opposing Colin Kaepernick and Nike.

Kaepernick, for all the approval from the media, public and other players, doesn't appear to have tried to moved his cause forward. For the months and months he has not been a player and receiving money from Nike, I don't see he has personally done much if this is his life commitment.

Just me stirring the pot again.

I'm prompted to post this after watching the Women's Finals at the US Open.

I'm a big tennis fan and think it is the most demanding of all sports mentally and physically. As some of you may know, Serena Williams (SR) lost to a very talented and composed 20 year old Japanese challenger last Saturday. She received three code violations for her coach trying to coach her with hand signals; slamming and breaking her racket after being broken in the second set; and for her emotional outburst (verbal abuse) directed at the chair umpire after the umpire docked her a game. She then defends her actions claiming sex discrimination and questioning the double standard (how males and females are treated) that still exists in many areas of the world.

I do not disagree with this double standard issue. But, all three violations did happen and the chair umpire followed protocol in prescribing the penalties. The umpire has taken similar disciplinary action (in the past) against her male counterparts including Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray and has a reputation for minimal tolerance for code violations.

In addition, this is not the first incident with SR's behavior at the US Open. Several years ago, she was called for a "foot fault" by a female lines linesperson. She went into her rant mode and said to the linesperson (amongst other insults) "I will shove this tennis ball down your fuc..ng throat". Yes, film showed that she did, in fact, commit a foot fault.

So now this is being spun as gender and sex discrimination, etc.

To the point of the thread and potential discussion, why can't people simply accept responsibility for their actions, admit the truth (the facts), accept the consequences and move on versus spinning it into "I am the victim" and other nefarious claims. :devil:

Gordon

I agree Gordon. The correct decision was made on the court. The chair umpire on court is considered to be one of the best grand slam umpires. I listened to John McEnroe drone on about how out of line the umpire was even if she did what was suggested. If you are not going to enforce the rules of the game, what is the point of have them. You may as will just stop calling ball out of bounds.
I'm not sure John (cry baby) McEnroe was the best person to plead the case of unfair umpires and judges.

She said she never would cheat and get coaching. Why then, would her coach admit to coaching her with hand signals.

It is impossible that he just randomly gave some type of hand signal for the first time hoping she would guess what he was trying to convey.

Personally, while I think Serena is an amazingly talented athlete, I have never liked her attitude toward the other players.

From the time she started playing, her constant comment was that she was treated unfairly because she was black. There are other talented black players but we are to believe she is the one that is being focused on?
If she would win the match, she would talk about her great play. If she lost it was generally because she was not playing well not that someone else just played better that day.

This all settles in to your comment and I totally agree that, so few people will take responsibility for their action, be it achievement or lack of achievement.

Today, so many people that fail at something and it is always someone else fault.

To see that Law Enforcement will take a stand for themselves opposing Colin Kaepernick and Nike.

Kaepernick, for all the approval from the media, public and other players, doesn't appear to have tried to moved his cause forward. For the months and months he has not been a player and receiving money from Nike, I don't see he has personally done much if this is his life commitment.

For sure, I guess I misread your post, sorry !

Gee. I thought this was about tennis. So I’ll make it about tennis.
Look - I think whenever an umpire , referee or any official starts to take away games / points whatever - then it taints the game. The poor girl who won then had to deal with it with essentially an asterisk on the win now.
This afternoon myself and a colleague were trying to figure out a sport where there was no coaching or advice given to the athlete. I couldn’t think of one. I’ve watched tennis for 40 years and I can’t say I’ve ever seen the ‘coaching from the stands’ penalty. That’s absurd - and that’s why she went off. I used to watch conners, mac, and nastasie totally rip umpires. I say let the players play. She called him a ‘thief’ ...ooooohhhh!!!

Gee. I thought this was about tennis. So I’ll make it about tennis.
Look - I think whenever an umpire , referee or any official starts to take away games / points whatever - then it taints the game. The poor girl who won then had to deal with it with essentially an asterisk on the win now.
This afternoon myself and a colleague were trying to figure out a sport where there was no coaching or advice given to the athlete. I couldn’t think of one. I’ve watched tennis for 40 years and I can’t say I’ve ever seen the ‘coaching from the stands’ penalty. That’s absurd - and that’s why she went off. I used to watch conners, mac, and nastasie totally rip umpires. I say let the players play. She called him a ‘thief’ ...ooooohhhh!!!

As I mentioned previously. Why have any rules in tennis or any other sport? Naomi Osaka would have beaten her regardless. IMO

As I mentioned previously. Why have any rules in tennis or any other sport? Naomi Osaka would have beaten her regardless. IMO

Yes Osaka would have won regardless..... I think? And for her it’s a shame the umpire had to interject himself into the match to take away from that. To have basically some unenforced rule all of a sudden be enforced in a grand slam final which changes score / messes with the athlete..and is subjective - that’s just stupid. And for you to leap to ‘why have any rules’ - well that’s a pretty big stretch.

Hi timm,

Respectfully disagree especially given her history at the US Open. Remember the "I'll shove this tennis ball down your fuc..ng throat" comment. I lost all respect for SW at that point in time. And Osaka was the better player and would have won regardless.

Best,

Gordon

Back