Used Ascents vs used Ascents i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alekz

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm collecting thoughts, meanings and advices on upgrading my old Sequel's (II) to either Ascents or Ascent i. My dealer sells Ascents for EUR2495 and Acents i for ~3400. A bit steep but I live in Europe where Logans are up to 2 times more expensive that in the US On the other side I can trade-in my Sequels.

What would you recommend? Is the difference in the sound worth ~1000EUR? I haven't compared them side-by-side yet (the i's will be available 3 weeks later) but seen a couple of messages saying that the difference is not that big (what is big???) and it's wiser to go for Ascents and save the money for something else.

What do you think?

Equipment: Meridian 596 -> Pass Labs X1 -> Pass Labs 250. MIT Oracle cables.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

used ascents vs used Ascents i

alekz; good evening. My system is #125. I have heard both types and had my Ascents for about 2 years, (they are great.) I had the Questz also . IMHO you would do better to take the Ascents, save the money for room treatments, (or whatever), and enjoy the great sound with new cds, a bottle of your favorite wine and your best woman, (saving the best for last.) Your equipment is a fine choice and I hope you post some pictures when they are set up. Best of luck.

Hello All,

I'm collecting thoughts, meanings and advices on upgrading my old Sequel's (II) to either Ascents or Ascent i. My dealer sells Ascents for EUR2495 and Acents i for ~3400. A bit steep but I live in Europe where Logans are up to 2 times more expensive that in the US On the other side I can trade-in my Sequels.

What would you recommend? Is the difference in the sound worth ~1000EUR? I haven't compared them side-by-side yet (the i's will be available 3 weeks later) but seen a couple of messages saying that the difference is not that big (what is big???) and it's wiser to go for Ascents and save the money for something else.

What do you think?

Equipment: Meridian 596 -> Pass Labs X1 -> Pass Labs 250. MIT Oracle cables.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Your stuff is expensive because of the 40% VAT added in, rise up against your government and demand no taxation without represenation!

J/k Actually, is there much of a used market in your place? I would go explore that because your stuff is so expensive there.

For the price difference ($2000!!!) I'd go with the Ascent regular if that is your only two options.

For the price difference ($2000!!!) I'd go with the Ascent regular if that is your only two options.

Is the Euro REALLY 2:1 now?! I thought it was about 1.4:1...I have not been paying very close attention though of late... NOT a good time to go overseas, but it is a good time for all your guys from other countries to come visit the US of A I'll tell ya that! Everything will look CHEAP here!

My mistake, I was thinking pounds not euros.

A $1300 difference muddies the water a bit, in my opinion.

I'd probably still go for the Ascent regular if it was me.

But if I made more money where the difference wasn't a biggie, I probably would get something newer then the Ascent i.

In your scenario I would never buy the Ascent i.

-Allen

Two big "buts". Different voltage and high import tax :)

I was not really talking about audio gear, really talking more about vacations and taking them here vs. us taking them there... You guys will get a great deal coming this way, hotels and meals will seem cheap. Taking gear back is a different story for sure.

My opinion: I had the Ascent i s and heard the Ascents previously. I think the later version is well worth the difference: better integration between the panel and the woofer, better bass reproduction in general.

Hi alekz,

I feel your pain - european ML user here, too.

Please provide us with the serial numbers of both systems, in order to evaluate the age of the speakers. Given that you are in Europe, the day you'll have to repanel your speakers it might cost you more than the actual difference between the two pairs - therefore I'd go with the i's, even if the initial cost is higher. Right now I am spending 1500 euros to change my panels...

I was not really talking about audio gear, really talking more about vacations and taking them here vs. us taking them there... You guys will get a great deal coming this way, hotels and meals will seem cheap. Taking gear back is a different story for sure.
Yeah, true, but the tickets cost negates all the EUR->USD exchange advantage.
But buying a house there sounds very alluring ;)

Aliveatfive, the "i's" are supposed to be better. New woofer, new panel, new blue light ;-). probably the same filters, but the question here is dQuality/dPrice ratio. The Sequel lI/Ascent ratio looks reasonable, not sure about Ascent i/Ascent, I haven't heard the "i's" yet.

Actually, I bought the Ascents yesterday. BUT! The train has not left the station yet, they are demo units, and can still be upgraded/replaced/returned at no cost. I have the same concerns as Lugano, the speakers are one of the first Ascents made by ML and were bought by the dealer as a demo pair. I do plan to upgrade them sooner or later (if the stars will be nice to me), but who knows ...

The panels are ~7yo (S/N NSNA 402/403). How long do they usually last? According to the dealer, the "i's" are ~2yo. Don't know the S/N.

Aliveatfive, the "i's" are supposed to be better. New woofer, new panel, new blue light ;-). probably the same filters, but the question here is dQuality/dPrice ratio. The Sequel lI/Ascent ratio looks reasonable, not sure about Ascent i/Ascent, I haven't heard the "i's" yet.

Actually, I bought the Ascents yesterday. BUT! The train has not left the station yet, they are demo units, and can still be upgraded/replaced/returned at no cost. I have the same concerns as Lugano, the speakers are one of the first Ascents made by ML and were bought by the dealer as a demo pair. I do plan to upgrade them sooner or later (if the stars will be nice to me), but who knows ...

The panels are ~7yo (S/N NSNA 402/403). How long do they usually last? According to the dealer, the "i's" are ~2yo. Don't know the S/N.

Panel life is a matter of several variables: environmental dust, humidity and the amount of care that has been given them. (Have they been regularly vacuumed?) I'd say from my experience that 7-10 years of panel life is an accurate average. However, a well-cared-for pair can last much longer.

I'd say from my experience that 7-10 years of panel life is an accurate average. However, a well-cared-for pair can last much longer.

I think that is to low. I bet an average on this site of unreplaced CLS's or Quest, etc would be on average 15 years... That only means they would been new in the early/mid 90's afterall and there are folks here that still use their original speakers from the late '80's. Not sure if they have replaced panels, but I suspect 10 years is a bit low for the average and that the average is going up everyday! :D If I have to replace any of my panels in less than 10 years from NOW I will be disappointed and my speakers are all at least 5 years old if not older...

Latest posts

Back