USB DAC discussion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiophiliac

Reaction score
I have done a lot of reading and researching on this topic in the past few days. It seems that the ideal way to transmit audio over USB from a PC to a DAC is by properly utilizing the I2S connection standard. Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio seems to be the leading expert in this area and produces some expensive products to accomplish it.

I have looked and found a few DACs with USB input that use the USB>I2S>DAC method (as opposed to the USB>SPDIF>I2S>DAC method), and am open to any option under about $1k. Some manufacturers dont list the way they do the conversion on their websites or in the owners manuals....like PS Audio. I like that DAC and if someone can verify it uses USB>I2S, I might just get one. Also the Bel Canto DAC3 is another one I like. I am pretty sure the Benchmark does this, and seems to get good reviews.

Insert thoughts below. :)

What lugano said, but pay particular attention to the posts from Elias Gwinn, who is one of the engineers involved with the USB Benchmark DAC1. He has some fascinating comments on the design requirements and decisions that are related to USB devices. I did read the whole thread, and found a wealth of information there.

What made my hair raise - in places I did not know I had hair - was this comment from Mr. Gwinn, to start with:

"Yes, jitter is a very serious matter with computer audio. In fact, one interesting piece of information we found (though we did not confirm) is that computer manufacturers will ADD JITTER to their clocks for the purpose of spreading the energy across a wider bandwidth to pass emissions testing."

What made my hair raise - in places I did not know I had hair - was this comment from Mr. Gwinn, to start with:

"Yes, jitter is a very serious matter with computer audio. In fact, one interesting piece of information we found (though we did not confirm) is that computer manufacturers will ADD JITTER to their clocks for the purpose of spreading the energy across a wider bandwidth to pass emissions testing."

Absolutely true...been doing this in PC for years to pass EMI.

I read the whole thing. Some parts several times. Its a good discussion, but not too many mentions of other DACs with the USB>I2S chip. Stello?, and Wavelength, and EMpirical, along with some smaller kit-type pieces. I was mainly looking for other options....the former are spendy, and the latter seem limited...like only USB input...no balanced outs...etc. And no where can I find if the PS AUdio DAC uses I2S.....I am doubting it, but maybe Joey can elighten us by opening his unit and taking some photos of the insides. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back