Trying to Decide on Integrated for Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dag

Reaction score
Newbie here who finally stopped lurking. Hello all!

Current system: Vantages, Transparent MusicWave Ultra, Marantz receiver, Transparent interconnects, Rotel RCD-1072, other stuff not relevant to this post.

Question: Looking to add an integrated amp with HT pass through so that I can cut out the Marantz when listening to 2 channel, but keep it (for now) for movie watching. Would also like to continue to give the love to my local high end audio shop.

Current Options:

Classe CAP-2100 - Have auditioned and like VERY much, getting a good deal on a floor model.

Musical Fidelity A3.5 or A5 - Have auditioned A3.5, not nearly as nice as CAP-2100 but lots cheaper. Would probably order A5 but haven't auditioned and it costs only a few hundred bucks less than the floor model CAP-2100.

VTL IT-85 - Can't audition but have heard an ST-150 with my previous Claritys and it was awesome. A couple hundred bucks more than CAP-2100. Worried about future tube replacement at a time when we have even less money than we have now.

Jolida JD 1000RC - Can't audition and can't purchase from my favorite (only) shop. Great price, same tube worries.

Any and all questions, comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks SO much.

DAG

dag, First off, welcome ! Sounds like your Ears like the Classe', nothing wrong with that. But in so far as Tubes, keep in mind that 'most' integrateds use KT-88's or EL-34's for the output, which are not terribly exspensive and they are usually good for up to 3000 hrs.

Steve (slowgezer) is using a Jolida amp to power his M/L's and is quite happy with it. I use the little 302-B on second system in my home and I am happy with it as well. I'm not sure if any of their Integrateds have a HT / Unity gain feature though.

There are alot of interesting tube mfg out there, but as I have 'preached' many times before when getting your feet wet stick to your ABC's ! .....ARC, BAT, CJ, Cary and I dare not forget Macintosh (for fear that Neil won't send me a X-mas card !, LOL)

FWIW, I have been hearing a few good things about Granite Audio and Consonance amps as well.

good Luck, keep us in the loop !!

dag, don't forget to check out the Krell 400xi. I've been listening to my Jolida 1000RC for the last 10 months and decided to put my Krell back in a few days ago. Both amps sound great, but they are different.

Plinius 9200

Hi dag,

This unit, along with the others that proceeded are, per TAS, at the top of the "integrated" list.

The 9200 puts out 200 w/ channel. Double that into 4 ohms. In other words, no issue driving the ML's.

Retail is about $4,200. Available on audiogon for $2,300.

The other units you listed are certainly serious contenders.

The new CJ integrated is also supposed to be a killer buy but may be beyond your budget.

As a previous Classe Audio CA150 amp owner, I can vouch for the sound quality. Great company and great synergy with the ML's.

Good luck and the obvious advice. Do what you can do to get a "home" audition before buying.

GG

Follow up to "...Integrated for Vantages"

Thanks so much for the comments, keep 'em comin'.

As a point of clarification, when I wrote "audition" in my original post, I did mean "in home audition". For regular, trusted customers my local store loans out (from Sat. evening to Mon. morning) equipment. Like many audiophiles, especially planar speaker lovers, I have always dreamed of tubes. However, I am VERY leary of purchasing anything that I have not auditioned at all. What to do, what to do .... :think:

DAG

dag, if you local store carries the NAD Master Series M3, I would very highly recommend it for a weekend loan. I've heard the combination (with Vantages) and I found it an excellent match. It has an extremely low noise floor (-130dB) and conveys the microdetail that the Vantages are capable of delivering.

Last edited:
Whatever integrated amplifier you chose, I would try to find an integrated amp which is warmer rather than neutral sounding with the Rotel RCD 1072 cd player you have in your system. It is a great cd player for the money and I have one also. I used to have a Rotel RB1080 amp also and the combination in my system could be bright and glaring. My solution was to purchase McIntosh gear and problem was solved. What I am getting at is system synergy.
Good Luck
Jim

The Sim Audio Moon I-7.....

Definitely my favorite integrated, tube or ss!

Probably close in price to the Classe...

Shanling A3000?

Another potential integrated - Shanling A3000. It seems to offer all that I want, I've read good things and it's a great price. Anyone have any experience with this integrated? Thanks.

DAG

Reviving an older thread, but had to comment as I have a Shanling A3000 Integrated and thought I would share my experience. I am using it with SL3 speakers and find that they drive them very well. I do have to acknowledge that this is my first experience with ML speakers, so my experience is limited (but I have a listened to and owned other high end audio equipment). The Shanling is just breaking in, but I can tell that it is getting better. A must do upgrade is the power cord. The one provided is minimalist. Changing it immediately made a huge difference (I am using a Signal Cable Magic Power). The soundstage is nice and wide and to my ear it drives the entire range very well. Very non-fatiguing as well (I listen to jazz, classical, new age and some rock), although the speakers add to that. One funky think about it is that it has Lighted LEDs inside the unit that are visible through the air vents. Kind of artistic, I guess. The build quality is good and it is very solid/heavy. Besides the power cord, the remote is cheesy but it works. The source component I am using is a Marantz DV-9500 universal player (the SL3s are replacing a Home Theater set-up I had but rarely used).

The A3000 is a piece that I feel is an excellent value and so far seem to drive my SL3s to my current satisfaction (of course that will likely change as this is such a fickle hobby). The parts used are top notch and I believe that it is a solid piece of gear. It can be purchased for a relatively low price (none of this stuff is cheap) and I think it is worth a try.

Latest posts

Back