Trade in Escient Fireball for Sonos?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veritas

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a dilemma. I have the opportunity through work to buy a new Sonos BU-130 bundle at $500. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to jump on this deal but I recently got engaged and am paying for a wedding in the next six months and buying a home in that time period as well so money is a little tight.

Right now my primary source is an original Escient Fireball hooked to a Sony CDP-CX250 changer. My thoughts were that I could sell the Escient and changer on Audiogon, eBay, or to one of you guys and use that money to fund the Sonos.

So my questions ultimately are these:

-Which would make a better source in your opinion: The Sonos or the Escient?
-Would I be able to get $500+ for the Escient/Sony changer (Escient in excellent condition and Sony in good condition)?
-What are your thoughts on an all digital source (uncompressed/lossless) vs CD?

My system consists of a pair of Vistas and a Def Tech Supercube I being currently being pushed by a Rotel RB-980BX amp with a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX as a pre. I would like to upgrade to a more serious pre/pro setup sometime in the next 12 months (assuming budget allows).

Thanks!

:eek: my bad.... now that I look at your post again I see where you already mentioned that. I'm not 100% sure that you could flip that guy for $500. If I were in your shoes I would look closely at the Squeezebox that everybody here seems to have but me!!! It sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

I think that some of the lossless formats such as FLAC are great. That's how I store all of my music.

... too bad you don't get a deal on the new Fireball ... or do you? That would be a great choice IMO. Back when we had Escient I remember they had a pretty agressive EPP deal

Unfortunately I don't get accommodation's on Escient.

I could go the Squeezebox option but I'm just not sure how much that would ultimately save me. I suppose it could be a good supplement to the Fireball.

Back