Thoughts on Pure Audio Hi-Definition Blu ray discs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsandovalb

Reaction score
Hi!, anyone using them?....

I am one of those who still enjoy playing physical media, and the idea of playing these blu ray discs as regular cds through my system is nice. They come in stereo, some titles include sacd disc also and free 320mp3 download...

There are ECM, Deutsche Grammophon titles....among others

Just bought an Oppo bdp105 Darbee edition so I am thinking in playing them through the dedicaded analog stereo outs...

I ask... Because here in Costa Rica, there are no titles available locally, therefore need to import :-/

Hola, yes I have a few.

They are very hit-and-miss releases. They typically take an existing remaster and put it on a BluRay format to deliver the highest quality resolution from that master.

Unfortunately some of the releases are based on masters that had some issues or were not quite the ultimate.

For example: Supertramp Breakfast in america - The master still contains a lot of source tape hiss, and some other minor issues that come through crystal clear on this Pure Audio disc.

Another: Genesis Selling England by the Pound - This is based on the same remaster done in 2007 that the SACD box sets were based on, and features the same highly compressed recording mastered by a deaf person (or whose tweeters were blown). So it sounds identical to the SACD I have, and I did an A/B with two players and pretty much confirmed that fact.

It is nice that they are indeed finally releasing these recordings in a format that more people can enjoy, as pretty much everyone has a BR player these days. Just don't expect miracles in terms of the quality of the source materials. Some will be great, others not so much.

Thanks Amey01, well... I do have my music in digital form, however, I do like to buy cds and blu rays... Regardless of the many options we have :)

Back