Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot

Reaction score
Hi ! I'm going to buy a pair of summit and i also want to change my ampilfier mc252 with something else i'm looking for a very powerful ampli with bass frequencies and musicality; can you suggest something?
thanks in advance
marco

Hi ! I'm going to buy a pair of summit and i also want to change my ampilfier mc252 with something else i'm looking for a very powerful ampli with bass frequencies and musicality; can you suggest something?
thanks in advance
marco

If you want to stay in the Mc family, then for SS my first choice would be MC501 monoblocks -- simply outstanding and very musical. If that's two pricey, then the MC401 would be my next choice -- it's half the price and, again very musical but not in the same league as the vaulted 501s. If you're looking to break from SS then the MC275mkV is the ticket. A superb amp that really works well with MLs and they can be bridged to form a monoblock. However, before you get rid of your MC252 you may want to listen to it through the Summits, you may like what you're hearing. :D

Why change that amp? It has more than enough power to drive the summits.
Do you just not like the sound?

I have to agree. That is a very capable amp and should work very with the Summits. Depending on the rest of your system, I would look elsewhere for upgrades first.

I want to change the mac because now i use it with a pair of clairity and i don't like the sound

I want to change the mac because now i use it with a pair of clairity and i don't like the sound

Hola Pilot...you can not compare, with all respect, the Summiits with the Clarities...they are complete different beasts, and the only thing in common is the ML logo. Just starting with the design, you have for driving the bass section, 400 Watts per channel with the built-in power I.C.E. amps. the sensitivity of the summits are 92dBs!, so in an average room size, there is no need for a big power amp...don't get me wrong here....the clarities are very good too, and what you get for the price paid, they are unshakeable in the market place. If you are buying the summits, try them first with your own electronics, you could be very satisfied. I wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
thanks in advance
marco
Personally, I'm partial to the Sunfire line, but there are many other suitable amps for the Summit.

With that said, your mc252 should be able to admirably drive the summits until you get a 'better' amp. Don't get me wrong, you'll probably be able to tell the difference when you upgrade. However, the summit itself is so good that just going to it with your current equipment will provide you with startling results. (I'm an unashamedly biased summit owner, of course. :D )

Oh, and I agree with Roberto. The differences between your clarities and the summits will astound you, again with just your current amp.

Last edited:
I currently have the MC252 McIntosh ss amplifier and Vantage speakers. Before I purchased the MC252 amp, I also tried the MC401 amplifier. I couldn't tell any difference except that possibly that the MC401 may run a little more effortlessly. For my money, not enough to justify for my room the upgrade in price. The Vantage and Summits also sound similar. I would demo the MC252 with the Summits first before upgrading to the MC401 amplifier.
Jim

Back