Sub comparison

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run my F112 both with and without an active xover and the active route provides better integration.

When I ran it without the xover, I was running my then Vista's full range and running the sub at about 50Hz and below.

I'm now running it with the xover and crossing my CLS's over at 77Hz. The JL does 80Hz and down better then most.

You might also consider room treatments or bass traps, I have both.
+1 to all of the above. Active Xovers need not be expensive and provide ultimate flexibility so as to achieve a seamless blend between mains/sub(s). Most provide some level of EQ, which will also help correct bass FR issues.

Try to avoid redundant A/D conversions, if your other gear permits.

Perhaps I missed it but Audyssey has a nice device that will do all of the things you want.

I am auditioning this sub with my SL3's(just repaneled) and did the ARO. I am running a line out from a Premier 16 straight to the sub. The challenge seems to be integrating it with the room. It seems to have a subtle but significant impact. The set up was fun. My wife asked if I could do my auditioning without it sounding like a spaceship was landing on the roof!
Is an active XO needed to get best results? This adds $$ significantly.
Also trying to decide dropping $2500 for this sub vs. upgrading the ML's(used Summit or Ethos)
Thanks!

You may want to try a subwoofer DSP equalizer. I use the DSpeaker Antimode 8033 to control a REL T1 sub with my SL3s and it has been very effective in taming the room modes. It requires no active X-over. It sets itself up automatically with the included microphone and thus requires no "know-how" at all.

It's also less than $350.

Guido F.

Last edited:
Great comments. Thanks.
Beakman's system is impressive but I am definitely a plug and play type. That Behringer looks daunting.

I like what I'm hearing so far with this sub. It is fast and is bottomless. It's contribution is subtle but important and seems to complement the SL3's well. I have a couple more days. Hope it stays-it is a beast to move!

Guido- I saw your unit in a previous post. Was the test tone super loud as the review said?

Is the Audyssey an equalizer?

Grooving to Lyle Mays-ML's are just amazing!

Guido- I saw your unit in a previous post. Was the test tone super loud as the review said?

The test tone is loud. But all you have to do is turn down the sub's volume (start low and increase gradually until you reach a comfortable level, then use that level for the test). For the test to be effective it does not need to be run at high volume.

Guido F.

I have a couple of REL subs. I use the Britannia 2 with CLS and am pretty happy with the results. Needed to get it away from corner loading to get it to sound seamless, but my CLS and CLS 2a both work well with it at slightly diff x points.

Latest posts

Back